Gas Refill prices?

Nick-Now

Featured Posts

If you are staying moored up for the rest of the year it may be worth changing, if you are planning to cruise then you will have problems getting your cylinders changed as the FloGas network is but a fraction of the size of Calors distribution network of retailers.

Make sure you are comparing like-for-like (13kg not 12kg etc) and do not use 13KgFLT cylinders these are to be used 'lying down' on fork-trucks and use 'liquid propane' rather than 'gas'.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/09/2021 at 12:53, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are staying moored up for the rest of the year it may be worth changing, if you are planning to cruise then you will have problems getting your cylinders changed as the FloGas network is but a fraction of the size of Calors distribution network of retailers.

Make sure you are comparing like-for-like (13kg not 12kg etc) and do not use 13KgFLT cylinders these are to be used 'lying down' on fork-trucks and use 'liquid propane' rather than 'gas'.

What's liquid propane?  All propane in bottles starts as liquid then boils off to gas.

N

13 minutes ago, Theo said:

What's liquid propane?  All propane in bottles starts as liquid then boils off to gas.

N

Yes, but a normal boat bottle vaporises inside the cylinder and delivers propane gas at the valve whereas a fork lift bottle delivers liquid gas at the valve.  The liquid is not  vaporized to propane gas until it reaches the engine.

Putting a fork lift bottle on boat pipework causes all sorts of surprising effects When you light the stove for a brew.  DAMHIKT.

N

• Greenie 2

49 minutes ago, Theo said:

N

31 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Yes, but a normal boat bottle vaporises inside the cylinder and delivers propane gas at the valve whereas a fork lift bottle delivers liquid gas at the valve.  The liquid is not  vaporized to propane gas until it reaches the engine.

Putting a fork lift bottle on boat pipework causes all sorts of surprising effects When you light the stove for a brew.  DAMHIKT.

BOOM !

A 'Liquid Propane" cylinder has a "dip-pipe" inside it running down from the valve, it is curved so that when the cylinder is mounted horizontally the open end of the pipe is almost touching the cylinder wall, the cylinders have a mark on the outside to show which 'side' must be on the top when it is laid horzontally - if it is mounted anyway but the correct one it will not pick up the liquid as it will be in the 'vapour zone'.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A 'Liquid Propane" cylinder has a "dip-pipe" inside it running down from the valve, it is curved so that when the cylinder is mounted horizontally the open end of the pipe is almost touching the cylinder wall, the cylinders have a mark on the outside to show which 'side' must be on the top when it is laid horzontally - if it is mounted anyway but the correct one it will not pick up the liquid as it will be in the 'vapour zone'.

To late to edit yesterdays post but thought I'd have a look at the 'official' explanation of the differences between vertical & horizontal cylinders and found this :

Fork Lift Truck (FLT) Cylinder Safety

Troubleshooting for those using Fork Lift Truck cylinders.

Fork Lift Truck Cylinders are fitted with excess flow valves. This is a safety device which is designed to shut the flow of gas off when excessive flows are detected, to prevent any potential accidents.

On occasion, and when the cylinder valve is opened quickly, the excess flow valve can sometimes interpret that a problem has occurred and the excess flow valve will close, resulting in no gas flowing to the engine of the FLT.

To prevent this please make sure that the valve is opened slowly until fully open. If the problem has already occurred, close the valve to stop the gas flow, wait for approximately 15 seconds until the excess flow valve reacts and then slowly open the valve again.

Fork Lift Truck Cylinders are fitted with a dip tube to extract the liquid from the cylinder, the position of the cylinder when fitted to the truck is therefore an important requirement to ensure a constant flow of gas to the FLT. 

In the event that no gas is flowing from the cylinder please ensure that the cylinder is fitted in the correct position, the cylinder should be in a horizontal position with the valve outlet and the arrow on the base of the cylinder pointing downwards.

Fork Lift Truck Cylinder Safety | BOConline UK

• 2 months later...

13Kg propane last week cost £37.50.  The news on the street is that after a couple of months of relatively normal conditions, availability has gone TU again, and there's a major shortage. Not a good time for us to lose a substantial fraction of a cylinder-full over board when the union of the regulator end of a pigtail cracked and the hose more-or-less fell off.

263819526_255478403181016_5020525728865633995_n.jpg

Just now, blackrose said:

I almost baulked when he told me it was 46 quid this morning. 6 months ago I think I paid about £39 at the same place. I just couldn't be bothered to drive around looking for somewhere cheaper to save a fiver but I will for next time. 

Good grief!! Was that at a marina or somewhere like a garage or garden centre? Away from the cut ive often found the best deals at builders merchants....roofers dont like paying out for anything!

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

As an aside when I started boating in the early nineties I remember a 13kg cylinder was £10.50....and that was from the Kevins at Winkwell...so there was probably cheaper then!

Which would be about £25 now- using the bank of england inflation calculator (which cant be set to 2021)

image.png.ec9435f4468f88713b29dcbebadab6a4.png_____

• Greenie 1