Jump to content

Gas Refill prices?


Nick-Now
 Share

Featured Posts

I am guessing that gas refills have shot up since the gas price increase? I was considering swapping my bottles to LPG using FloGas just called for a price of a refill and it was £36! 

 

What are you all currently paying? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are staying moored up for the rest of the year it may be worth changing, if you are planning to cruise then you will have problems getting your cylinders changed as the FloGas network is but a fraction of the size of Calors distribution network of retailers.

 

Make sure you are comparing like-for-like (13kg not 12kg etc) and do not use 13KgFLT cylinders these are to be used 'lying down' on fork-trucks and use 'liquid propane' rather than 'gas'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nick-Now said:

I was considering swapping my bottles to LPG using FloGas just called for a price of a refill and it was £36! 

 

And how much is an equivalent FloGas refill that you'll need to drive perhaps 30 miles to get? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/09/2021 at 12:53, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are staying moored up for the rest of the year it may be worth changing, if you are planning to cruise then you will have problems getting your cylinders changed as the FloGas network is but a fraction of the size of Calors distribution network of retailers.

 

Make sure you are comparing like-for-like (13kg not 12kg etc) and do not use 13KgFLT cylinders these are to be used 'lying down' on fork-trucks and use 'liquid propane' rather than 'gas'.

What's liquid propane?  All propane in bottles starts as liquid then boils off to gas.

 

N

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Theo said:

What's liquid propane?  All propane in bottles starts as liquid then boils off to gas.

 

N

Yes, but a normal boat bottle vaporises inside the cylinder and delivers propane gas at the valve whereas a fork lift bottle delivers liquid gas at the valve.  The liquid is not  vaporized to propane gas until it reaches the engine.

 

Putting a fork lift bottle on boat pipework causes all sorts of surprising effects When you light the stove for a brew.  DAMHIKT.

 

N

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Theo said:

What's liquid propane?  All propane in bottles starts as liquid then boils off to gas.

 

N

 

31 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Yes, but a normal boat bottle vaporises inside the cylinder and delivers propane gas at the valve whereas a fork lift bottle delivers liquid gas at the valve.  The liquid is not  vaporized to propane gas until it reaches the engine.

 

Putting a fork lift bottle on boat pipework causes all sorts of surprising effects When you light the stove for a brew.  DAMHIKT.

 

BOOM !

 

A 'Liquid Propane" cylinder has a "dip-pipe" inside it running down from the valve, it is curved so that when the cylinder is mounted horizontally the open end of the pipe is almost touching the cylinder wall, the cylinders have a mark on the outside to show which 'side' must be on the top when it is laid horzontally - if it is mounted anyway but the correct one it will not pick up the liquid as it will be in the 'vapour zone'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

A 'Liquid Propane" cylinder has a "dip-pipe" inside it running down from the valve, it is curved so that when the cylinder is mounted horizontally the open end of the pipe is almost touching the cylinder wall, the cylinders have a mark on the outside to show which 'side' must be on the top when it is laid horzontally - if it is mounted anyway but the correct one it will not pick up the liquid as it will be in the 'vapour zone'.

 

 

To late to edit yesterdays post but thought I'd have a look at the 'official' explanation of the differences between vertical & horizontal cylinders and found this :

 

 

Fork Lift Truck (FLT) Cylinder Safety

Troubleshooting for those using Fork Lift Truck cylinders.

Fork Lift Truck Cylinders are fitted with excess flow valves. This is a safety device which is designed to shut the flow of gas off when excessive flows are detected, to prevent any potential accidents.

On occasion, and when the cylinder valve is opened quickly, the excess flow valve can sometimes interpret that a problem has occurred and the excess flow valve will close, resulting in no gas flowing to the engine of the FLT.

To prevent this please make sure that the valve is opened slowly until fully open. If the problem has already occurred, close the valve to stop the gas flow, wait for approximately 15 seconds until the excess flow valve reacts and then slowly open the valve again.

Fork Lift Truck Cylinders are fitted with a dip tube to extract the liquid from the cylinder, the position of the cylinder when fitted to the truck is therefore an important requirement to ensure a constant flow of gas to the FLT. 

In the event that no gas is flowing from the cylinder please ensure that the cylinder is fitted in the correct position, the cylinder should be in a horizontal position with the valve outlet and the arrow on the base of the cylinder pointing downwards.

 

Fork Lift Truck Cylinder Safety | BOConline UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.