Vehicle Log Book question?

Clodi

Featured Posts

A question for liveabord CCers who don't have a permanant UK address.

We have a residential property in the EU but here in the UK we use Boatmail. Whilst we are on our moorings we are registered withthe local Doctors and on the electorial roll. However I do not know what to do regardinf my Vans 'log book'. Our kids are all in short term student let's so it's not much good using them as a c/o address as they'll be on the move themselves in the nextfew months. The DVLA are ok with us using the mail-forwarding address for our uk driving licence as is our insurance company but I don't know what to do with the V5 log-book.

Has anyone been in a similar situation & what did you do?

Thanks

I doubt the DVLA care a jot what address you tell them for the log book, but should your van ever get a speeding or parking ticket, the address you tell them will be the address the notification/fine/NIP etc is sent and you'd probably want to know about this, should it ever happen. 

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-v5c says:

You need:

• the registration number of your vehicle
  • your log book reference number
  • a UK address
  • to check if your vehicle needs taxing in the next 4 weeks

Note that: "a UK address". It doesn't have to be your address, it just has to be UK address.

(Elsewhere it says PO Boxes are not acceptable). So I agree with Mike. A Boatmail address ought to be fine.

Edited by David Mack

Years ago in my early days of living aboard and when it was still possible to use a telephone and talk to someone at any office quite quickly I broached the subject and was told any address was OK that could contact me. Hence I've used parents, kids and pubs until very recently. 

It's so true about not being able to contact any civil servant anymore. they'r all too busy wtching netflix working from home. I guess I'll just use the boatmail address. When I firt took out my account with boatmail I checked with the DVLA regarding our driving licence and, this was pre covid, the nice young lady said whilst its ok for our driving licence wehave to provide an up to date home address for the log book. So who knows?

24 minutes ago, Clodi said:

It's so true about not being able to contact any civil servant anymore. they'r all too busy wtching netflix working from home. I guess I'll just use the boatmail address. When I firt took out my account with boatmail I checked with the DVLA regarding our driving licence and, this was pre covid, the nice young lady said whilst its ok for our driving licence wehave to provide an up to date home address for the log book. So who knows?

Actually, DVLA civil servants over the last year and have half have either been at the office catching COVID in huge numbers and having to go off sick and sometimes dying, or on strike because they can't work from home and watch Netflix and not catch COVID and get sick, or die. Any of these, being sick, being dead, or being on strike results in you not being able to talk to one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58171769

We're from West Wales & actually know quite a few DVLA employees, lot'sof kids from my boys schools actually went to work there as it'sone of the majour employersin the area. I fully symphaise with everyone who has suffered from covid But don't beleive everthing the BBC say also the union on strike for 'Unsafe working conditions' cannot really make a case when NHS frontine staff, nurses, portere, cleaners can manage to go to work. (It's a pity the GP's can't though)