Marinas/Boatyards/Hire bases with easy rail access

Neil2

Featured Posts

I forgot I agreed to start a thread on this. 

It came up on another thread where a hire boater was asking about hire bases easily accessible by railway.  I thought it might be useful to gather together information from members not just on hire bases, but yards and marinas eg where boats could be left/collected, that have easy access by rail.   As far as I know there's nowhere where such data is readily available.

By "easy" let's say within a mile of a railway station but feel free to propose any that are a practical proposition to get to by train. 

Depending on the response I'll collate the information for easy reference.    

18 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Redhill Marina on the Soar/Trent, Sileby Mill on the Soar, Beeston Marina and castle marina on the Trent. Mercia at Willington and Jannel on the T&M. Newark Marina and plenty more.

Newark marina is a long from the railway station,

Kings marina (Newark) is only a few 100 yards. from the Nottingham-Lincoln station and about 1 mile from the London mainline station.

Foxes on the Middle Level is about mile and a half from March station, 10 minuites by bike, 40 minuite walk, average cab fare £4.70. Direct trains to Stanstead Airport, Liverpool, Birmingham. Norwich, Ipswich, for London change at Peterborough or Ely.

Edited by nbfiresprite

8 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I forgot I agreed to start a thread on this. 

It came up on another thread where a hire boater was asking about hire bases easily accessible by railway.  I thought it might be useful to gather together information from members not just on hire bases, but yards and marinas eg where boats could be left/collected, that have easy access by rail.   As far as I know there's nowhere where such data is readily available.

By "easy" let's say within a mile of a railway station but feel free to propose any that are a practical proposition to get to by train. 

Depending on the response I'll collate the information for easy reference.    

Hull Marina, boatyard and chandlery is around 0.5 miles from a mainline rail terminus (Hull Paragon).The marina is located in a city centre location with access to all the facilities of a large city.

Howard

2 hours ago, howardang said:

Hull Marina, boatyard and chandlery is around 0.5 miles from a mainline rail terminus (Hull Paragon).The marina is located in a city centre location with access to all the facilities of a large city.

Howard

But unfortunately not the easiest place to get to by canal or Narrowboat.

• Haha 1

If you want to do the Thames thing, Le Boat run out of Penton Hook Marina - it's quite a hike from the station if you were walking, but there are frequent buses to Thorpe Park (good luck with that) or it would be about £5-10 in a cab (not so many cabs hanging around post-covid, but there is a taxi-firm based at the station, and there's always uber).

7 hours ago, PD1964 said:

But unfortunately not the easiest place to get to by canal or Narrowboat.

True. However, up to quite recently it was part of the BWML group of marinas and as Alan points out it is accessible by by both narrow and wide beam boats. As the OP is aiming to draw up a comprehensive list I think it should certainly be included. This may be debatable, but compare ease of access with the Ribble link/Lancaster, or indeed the Trent or Yorkshire Ouse and the Severy, and they also have their issues but are accessed by the more adventurous boaters.:boat:

Howard

Edited by howardang

Other marinas on the K & A that are close to railway stations:

Greenham Lock Marina, Newbury Marina and Newbury Boat Company - all within about about a mile of Newbury station.

Bradford on Avon Marina (Sally Boats) is about a mile from Bradford on Avon station.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some manage it, both NB's and 'Fat-NBs' can be seen.

Where? Not really a Narrowboat destination, maybe you can spot one in their web pic, maybe there’s a special little secluded mooring for NB’s not shown in their photo. Yes maybe near a train station as the Post title, but more offshore then inland.

3D74961B-F538-47B3-ADEA-1B8E840CA7FD.jpeg

Edited by PD1964

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Where? Not really a Narrowboat destination, maybe you can spot one in their web pic, maybe there’s a special little secluded mooring for NB’s not shown in their photo.

3D74961B-F538-47B3-ADEA-1B8E840CA7FD.jpeg

Having had a mooring in Hull marina for a couple of years I'd suggest I know a little more about what boats were there than you.

That picture only shows one of the basins (docks) but the Wbs and NBs were moored on the hammerheads due to their length.

That picture doesn't show the Big "Border Control" vessels that operate of of the marina, so maybe they don't exist either !

Have a look on CAIN NARROWBOATS webiste / facebook page to see videos of them making the trip from Hull marina to a number of places.

Built at Hull marina and delivered by water (the Humber)

We constantly have a build in progress at Hull Marina throughout the year. Visits are welcomed at any stage. Please note, at Hull Marina there is not direct access to our build locations, so please call or email or call to arrbook an appoinment and arrange a viewing, we are happy to accommodate your schedule where ever possible.

At Cain Narrowboats we're so sure of our boats
that we test them on the River Humber.

Screenshot (602).png

This is great stuff guys.  

Just to be clear, it's not limited to hire boat locations, or even marinas.   I'm thinking of a situation that I've personally experienced where you suddenly have to leave the boat for a few days, or a couple of weeks, and get home somehow.  So you could broaden it out to long stay moorings or safe locations.