Quick numpty question regarding solar.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

Right found it.

https://www.epsolarpv.com/upload/cert/file/1811/Tracer-BN-SMS-EL-V1.2.pdf

Maximum solar array rating for the 2215BN is 780w on a 12v nominal system, three times the maximum power throughput.  

So as long as your panels will play nicely together and don't exceed 138v (25 Deg Celsius rating) you should be able to connect all three panels to this controller.  If the other controller can handle all 3 panels it may make sense to swap it over if it's rated at more than 20 amps.

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Here’s the controller I have been given. 
I don’t have the specs on my panels yet. 
My 175W is a Baird flexible panel but I have no specs. 

52B0065B-4C6F-4647-BA42-8DF314E05709.jpeg

8330C6CC-FCAA-4FCC-970D-740090B9A135.jpeg

This doesn't give the best information, so I would not speculate on the voltage input here. Perhaps somewhere it says what the controller's limit is. I don't think this controller is top notch. There is a spelling mistake on the face, and the heat sink would make me suspicious of it overheating easily. I'd also gamble on it not being MPPT. MPPT is incorporated into the unit's name, which could lead to an assumption of the capability of such types of product. 

Edited by Higgs

Ok, what I’ll do is run two systems.  
I know mine works. Therefore leave it. 

I’ll add the other controller and the 2 panels and see how it goes. These 2 are identical to each other. 

In the future I can replace old panels with new and more powerful ones. 
I will have the potential for 640W. 

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

This doesn't give the best information, so I would not speculate with the voltage input here. Perhaps somewhere it says what the controller's limit is. I don't think this controller is top notch.

Ok. 
but I’ll try it and see how it goes. 

I did wonder about it’s quality in contrast to the one I have installed. 

Whilst I have a separate Mttp and controller this appears to be both in one.

26 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ok, what I’ll do is run two systems.  
I know mine works. Therefore leave it. 

I’ll add the other controller and the 2 panels and see how it goes. These 2 are identical to each other. 

In the future I can replace old panels with new and more powerful ones. 
I will have the potential for 640W. 

Ok. 
but I’ll try it and see how it goes. 

I did wonder about it’s quality in contrast to the one I have installed. 

The first one looks like a bona fide MPPT controller, and with a remote. The second one, I'd not trust. 

6 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The first one looks like a bona fide MPPT controller, and with a remote. The second one, I'd not trust. 

My set up has been on for 3 years ? Maybe 4 ? with no problem at all. I bought it all after advice on here and it’s proved a good ‘en. All on default settings. 

And so simple to install I did it myself!

The second one, which I have been given, I was assured works. 

I can only find out by trying it. 

53 minutes ago, Goliath said:

You don't.  The MT50 is only an optional display screen and buttons.  All the good stuff is in the big heatsink box for the Tracer series.

The Sun Yoba can only take 48v input voltage.  It's probably less efficient than the Tracer, but rated at 30 amps instead of 20 amps so you'd probably get more power out of it overall.

Both systems installed gives you redundancy anyway.

Its not a Numpty question at all, in fact the answers here show its not clear cut, and even reading the specs of top notch stuff like Victron does not give a clear answer.

Solar panels rarely give full output, especially in the uk, and especially especially in the North, so why pay for a high amps controller?. Also its very tempting to fit more solar to get more output in spring, autumn and winter and maybe then throw a bit away on a few hot summer days.

Too many volts will kill a controller, but the controller has control over the amps and watts so a half decent design should never die from too many amps....but i'm not sure 😀