Moth balling the lancaster

sunny

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Why doesnt somebody just ask CRT?

It doesnt affect me as I'm not on the system and paying for a licence but if I was I would be asking them for sure.

Oh come on, that would take all the fun out of it.  What are internet forums for if it isn't having endless discussions based on conjecture and opinions with no hard facts in sight?  

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Oh come on, that would take all the fun out of it.  What are internet forums for if it isn't having endless discussions based on conjecture and opinions with no hard facts in sight?  

If the OP can verify which marina on the Lancaster and firm the detail up a bit I can send an email to CRT….however I would like a bit more info than a vague conversation in passing…. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

If the OP can verify which marina on the Lancaster and firm the detail up a bit I can send an email to CRT….however I would like a bit more info than a vague conversation in passing…. 

I would doubt that CRT are planning that far ahead.

Even if they were,I don't think you will get a straight answer.

There would have to be expensive consultants contracted and a public "consultation" to give the answer CRT wants.

I think it is just a rumour.

On 23/09/2021 at 21:01, zenataomm said:

Agreed.

It would be interesting if IWA then reverted to running a National Rally to attract boat owners to cruise the outreaches to save them. 

A campaign instead of holding linear floating caravan get togethers to award prizes to the most green and red painted clone boat.

Seems the way forward to me.

IWA do hold a "Festival of Water" every year as a cut-down National.  Locations have included include Pelsall on the Wyrley & Essington, Northampton, Saul, St Neots, the Erewash, Waltham and most recently Worcester  The intention is to choose the outreaches.  However feasiblity is limited by the need for a suitable space (eg council-owned park or common) to hold the event and sufficient moorings for up to 100 boats.

5 hours ago, NBDensie said:

IWA do hold a "Festival of Water" every year as a cut-down National.  Locations have included include Pelsall on the Wyrley & Essington, Northampton, Saul, St Neots, the Erewash, Waltham and most recently Worcester  The intention is to choose the outreaches.  However feasiblity is limited by the need for a suitable space (eg council-owned park or common) to hold the event and sufficient moorings for up to 100 boats.

Please, please, please and pretty please choose the Rochdale Canal summit for the next one!

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Please, please, please and pretty please choose the Rochdale Canal summit for the next one!

The problem with the summit is that there is no levelish land alongside for a rally site.

But the Historic Narrow Boat Club held their biennial gathering in Hebden Bridge in 2019, so the Rochdale does attract some rallies.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

If you want a boat show you've got your Braunstons & Crick etc.  And jolly rollicking good fun they are but so far as campaigning is concerned, we are the poorer for failing to do any.

Sorry for the rant, I didn't intend to, my only intent is to remind (maybe for the first time for many) what was achieved in the past and how.

I helped run the Wigan rally and it had a lasting effect on the area (admittedly some of that has now gone nearly 40 years on, but you could argue that what is there now is there partially because attention was focussed on the site.) and the whole thing was organised by volunteers.

12 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I take everything said above as further confirmation that IWA are failing and have lost their way.

We don't need a cut down "Festival of Water", we need a return to campaigning for places at risk.  The fact somewhere is at the periphery of the network doesn't make it at risk.

Forty years ago Blisworth was hardly on the edges of anywhere, yet leaving The Grand Union truncated was without doubt an option that relied upon heavy campaigning by many different individuals and organisations to ensure that didn't happen. 

As for suggesting feasibility of returning to campaigning turnouts is "limited by the need for a suitable space (eg council-owned park or common) to hold the event and sufficient moorings for up to 100 boats." Demonstrates a total lack of insight into what campaigning is about or how to do it.

One of the main reasons for choosing a particular location was often because lack of Waterways maintenance was endangering its future.  As has already been said, lack of attraction in visiting somewhere is reason to not spend money on it. Vicious circle syndrome.

Holding an event, it isn't necessary to supply a nicely coiffured park to house beer tents, food stalls a fairground and trade stands.  We would warn Waterways at least a year in advance where we wanted the largest number of boats possible to turn up at .  It was their problem how they adhered to their responsibilities regarding navigation and access.  They didn't want to be seen nationally to have failed with a year's advance notice.  We then boated/week-ended  for days to get there, and if necessary moored abreast when we arrived (Think of The Braunston Strike of 1923).  It all highlighted to everyone how inadequate and non conforming the situation was at that location.  I have no proof but I would expect Waterways to have used the outcome to highlight to their paymasters their need for better funding to do their job (?).  Whatever, it did achieve some things, saved some about to be lost locations and refocussed Waterways' approach to what it did and how it did it.  Through The IWA, boaters had a voice, no power, but a voice which made things happen.

Climbing into bed with Waterways only benefitted Waterways.  It removed the thorn in its side (us the paying customer) it castrated The IWA and re-educated the new generation of canal enthusiasts into being boaters only interested in going to comfortable, easy to reach boat shows that provide numbered mooring spots, mud free car parking, bouncy castles and beer tents. 

As a result boaters started to happily accept situations that previous generations had refused to, and indeed had fought against.

Increased fees for less service

A boating season!?

A maintenance season!?

Lack of need to be accountable to paying customers.

Meaningless/expensive restructuring and shifting of areas of responsibility that only confuse and confuddle (even their own people).

If you want a boat show you've got your Braunstons & Crick etc.  And jolly rollicking good fun they are but so far as campaigning is concerned, we are the poorer for failing to do any.

Sorry for the rant, I didn't intend to, my only intent is to remind (maybe for the first time for many) what was achieved in the past and how.

In my ten years of boating I did join the IWA at first because I read the blurb and decided it was a good organisation to be in. I very very soon realised that it had lost it's way. Tom Rolt and Robert Aickman got together in 1944 after Tom Rolt wrote his book Narrow Boat. In 1946 the IWA was formed. Over a period of years the IWA saved the canal system in this country. Basically two people did that. As said. the boating fraternity is as fragmented as hell but if anything is to be done to save the canals for a second time then some of the whingers and whiners need to form a new orgaisation to do just that. All I can say is that I am glad that I am no longer on the canals.

• Greenie 1