Onto second boat aready

Norm55

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

Agree 100% Northern, have now moved on.  

Was asking for feedback on this one i posted 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=677169

Box shaped cabins only really work aesthetically and practically if you have wider than normal side decks, dutch barge style if you like.  

As for "The finest narrowboat shells you can buy", er, no. 

2 hours ago, Norm55 said:

Agree 100% Northern, have now moved on.  

Was asking for feedback on this one i posted 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=677169

It isn't my cup of tea. Too stark and characterless, even taking into account that is has no personal items knocking around. Some of these ads have presentation problems. 9 photos and non of the workings, for £89,000. ?? It's a boat, not a flat being advertised in an estate agent's window. 

Edited by Higgs

41 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Box shaped cabins only really work aesthetically and practically if you have wider than normal side decks, dutch barge style if you like.  

As for "The finest narrowboat shells you can buy", er, no. 

I don't want a sink in the bathroom, its better in the kitchen. I prefer a basin in the shower room. Philistines.

Pet hates at present, rectangular cabin sides with no shape and no tumblehome, oh, and square sterns, horrible.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I don't want a sink in the bathroom, its better in the kitchen. I prefer a basin in the shower room. Philistines.

Pet hates at present, rectangular cabin sides with no shape and no tumblehome, oh, and square sterns, horrible.

Ooooh I do love a round of "Pet Hates"..........

-Tractor seats on a trad stern boat

-Dropped gunnel windows - ugh

-Boats that have the name of the couple written on the cabin side

-Boats with stupid names like Narrow Escape, Meander, Dunworkin etc

-Folding tiller arms

I'd better stop now before I alienate myself from the entire membership. 

• Haha 2

Folding tiller arms, yes, I’d not considered that one. 😃

But the “dropped gunnel windows” I like. 
I think if you’re not gonna have portholes then go the whole hog, by pass the bus window option and get loadsa light in with the “ drop gunnel window”, preferably the whole length of the boat. 

21 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think if you’re not gonna have portholes then go the whole hog, by pass the bus window option and get loadsa light in with the “ drop gunnel window”, preferably the whole length of the boat. 

Complete semicircular sterns  Ug!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

What about an Inspection launch...?  Now you're talking.  Always wanted one but never had the nerve.

25 minutes ago, PaulD said:

What’s wrong with semicircular sterns ??

Ugly and not in any sense traditional. Sterns should be tapering to an ellipse.  Its the best shape for moving off from the bank. A semicircular uxter plate restricts the water flow leaving the prop.

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ugly and not in any sense traditional. Sterns should be tapering to an ellipse.  Its the best shape for moving off from the bank. A semicircular uxter plate restricts the water flow leaving the prop.

Ah, but sir, traditionally a boat would have been pulled by horse (or ‘oss). 

🤷‍♀️

On 24/09/2021 at 11:03, Neil2 said:

Not only is the cabin boxy, but at the bow, as the hull tapers in, the bottom of the cabin side follows suit, but the top edge of the cabin continues on straight, meaning the cabin side gets steeper, harder to walk past on the gunwale, and even more likely to clout a bridge arch.

5489186.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The search continues.  Looked at new build yesterday, 2nd fix completed, buyer not come up with funds.  Impressed with workmanship inside.   Externally it was in primer only and in the water, hull not blacked.   Is this good practice  ?  

Many boat fitters who fit out in the water do this. How acceptable it is depends on how the fitter finishes the boat at the end of the build. The better ones take the boat out of the water, remove the windows and fixings then grit blast it all over and do a full paint job. If the boat is painted over the aged primer and rusted hull then not good. You would need to check what is done in your particular case.

I'm surprised the hull wasn't fully blacked before putting the boat in the water.

Primer only on the cabin is common, but as primers are porous it would make more sense to get at least one topcoat on as soon as the shell is completed, to keep the weather and rust at bay , with the final paint job perhaps following later.

On 24/09/2021 at 14:58, Neil2 said:

Ooooh I do love a round of "Pet Hates"..........

-Tractor seats on a trad stern boat

-Dropped gunnel windows - ugh

-Boats that have the name of the couple written on the cabin side

-Boats with stupid names like Narrow Escape, Meander, Dunworkin etc

-Folding tiller arms

I'd better stop now before I alienate myself from the entire membership. 

- UPVC house windows on a boat

- People who paint without masking windows etc and get paint all over them