Onto second boat aready

Norm55

Featured Posts

Hi all.  You gave me great advice on first boat a few months ago and now due to a nice change of circumstance we are onto boat no 2.  We now know what we really want, 55 to 60 ft semi trad and poss even a new build.  This is one have found but doing a search for the builder on here only reveals threads from 2007, is it even same person?

Seems nice chap but would value your sage advice.   

There's some odd areas with awkward gaps, like above the main wardrobe or the left of the washbasin, and those arches just create dead space above the "hidden" cupboards.

Joinery skills seem up to it, just not completely thought out. And to my mind the sink is fitted the wrong way round despite it being "quality" :D 

59 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/paul-simpson-58-semi-tradi-for-sale/674646

Sorry should have posted link, this is the boat in question. Agree it is quirky and as a joiner myself there are a few strange fittings.  Again is the builder known to anyone?  He also built the hull. 

Tidy looking, but it's annoying, when they don't think to show the outside. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/paul-simpson-58-semi-tradi-for-sale/674646

Sorry should have posted link, this is the boat in question. Agree it is quirky and as a joiner myself there are a few strange fittings.  Again is the builder known to anyone?  He also built the hull. 

I am amazed if he builds steel hulls, especially as he calls it is a "Joshua" hull when he is trying to impress by calling it after a Josher hull, which is an old working boat style, which this hull certainly is not.

The price for a new finished boat is unbelievable, at that total price delivered including VAT I will buy one tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am amazed if he builds steel hulls, especially as he calls it is a "Joshua" hull when he is trying to impress by calling it after a Josher hull, which is an old working boat style, which this hull certainly is not.

The price for a new finished boat is unbelievable, at that total price delivered including VAT I will buy one tomorrow.

Reading his specifications, the use of pored  concrete ballast I cannot support. This has been shown over many years to be a bad idea and of course rules out any alteration to ballasting should the boat be altered in any way.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No he clearly doesn't build the shells.  One of those boats in the gallery is clearly a Liverpool boat.  

Using poured concrete ballast makes no sense at all.  Neither does using kingspan rather than spray foam insulation - unless you are trying to save time/money of course.

Check out what "award" he actually won at Crick. 

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:
  1. Just too "nice"  for me.   Oh and a composting loo, how terribly  NICE!  And what was that back cabin all about?

Many years ago I went to a Stow Hill open day and there was a boat there with a similar back end, you sort if climbed onto a platform and then shimmied to the rear hatch with about 3ft 6 in head room

36 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

No he clearly doesn't build the shells.  One of those boats in the gallery is clearly a Liverpool boat.  

Using poured concrete ballast makes no sense at all.  Neither does using kingspan rather than spray foam insulation - unless you are trying to save time/money of course.

Check out what "award" he actually won at Crick. 

No can find the award, did you?

8 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Thank you.

So why nothing on his site later than 2019?  Is he still fitting out or is the boat on the Duck the last unsold of the line?  I still find the price amazingly low.

Excellent reviews though.....

https://m.facebook.com/PaulSimpsonBoatBuilder/reviews/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

What is it about this hobby of ours?  Can someone reccomend any builder / broker ?  

When I bought first boat back in January there were tales of doom on here about Stephen Harral who i bought it off.  To be fair it went well

, no complaints in the end, even sold boat for small profit.

Now am back in the lions den again 

1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

Excellent reviews though.....

https://m.facebook.com/PaulSimpsonBoatBuilder/reviews/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

What is it about this hobby of ours?  Can someone reccomend any builder / broker ?  

When I bought first boat back in January there were tales of doom on here about Stephen Harral who i bought it off.  To be fair it went well

, no complaints in the end, even sold boat for small profit.

Now am back in the lions den again 

Does Steve of Ash Boats still not use a separate client account for deposits/cleared funds then?  

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Neither does using kingspan rather than spray foam insulation - unless you are trying to save time/money of course.

Kingspan costs more and takes longer than spray foam.  It also gives better long term insulation if done well, but worse if done badly.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

10 hours ago, northern said:

Does Steve of Ash Boats still not use a separate client account for deposits/cleared funds then?  

I have no idea, however my purchase went through ok with all paperwork, bill of sale etc recieved.    

Any thoughts on second boat I posted, also new but looking more mainstream ?  Hurst are the fitters and yes I have searched and found a few comments from way back on here that aren't too complimentary 

16 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

I have no idea, however my purchase went through ok with all paperwork, bill of sale etc recieved.    

Any thoughts on second boat I posted, also new but looking more mainstream ?  Hurst are the fitters and yes I have searched and found a few comments from way back on here that aren't too complimentary 

I'm a bit surprised it wasn't something you checked given the feedback and stories on here, and consequences if the business were to fold whilst in the middle of you buying a boat.

My opinion isn't worth much - I'm still fairly new to boating and still taking a lot of advice - but anyone that seems to aggressively post the same boat and has done for months on eBay and Apollo Duck doesn't seem right to me in today's market.  The video you posted was created a month ago.  OK, there's still a few bits need finishing but why almost a month on has it not sold regardless?  Does it even exist?  At that price it should have sold 20x over. 

What about the awards?  Who awarded him those stars or did they fall from the heavens?

Is it RCD compliant, as already asked?

The video and Apollo Duck advert tell you nothing of what you'd like to know in terms of shell builder and specification.  They're devoid of all detail.  He does mention "quality" a lot, though, but no mention of brands or exactly what's quality about it.

Lastly, you don't have to be a seasoned boater to take on board the feedback left by others who've been involved with him, weigh it up, and conclude it's possibly not a good idea.  Have you gotten in touch with anyone leaving the feedback via Facebook or on the mobile numbers left?

In all honesty I'm amazed you're still considering it.

Me?  I'd run fast and run far.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Agree 100% Northern, have now moved on.  

Was asking for feedback on this one i posted 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=677169

Can't comment on the fitout would it be one half of ex Dursley and Hurst?  If so, the feedback on here from owners isn't great.

At £1,600 a foot for a new boat it should also have sold immediately but hasn't.

Does it have an RCD?

It's subjective but it looks a bit 'hire boat-ish' to me.

Edited by northern