The smart toilet era is here! Are you ready to share your analprint with big tech?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

For the past 10 years, Sonia Grego has been thinking about toilets – and more specifically what we deposit into them. “We are laser-focused on the analysis of stool,” says the Duke University research professor, with all the unselfconsciousness of someone used to talking about bodily functions. “We think there is an incredible untapped opportunity for health data. And this information is not tapped because of the universal aversion to having anything to do with your stool.”

As the co-founder of Coprata, Grego is working on a toilet that uses sensors and artificial intelligence to analyse waste; she hopes to have an early model for a pilot study ready within nine months. “The toilet that you have in your home has not functionally changed in its design since it was first introduced,” she says, in the second half of the 19th century. There are, of course, now loos with genital-washing capabilities, or heated seats, but this is basic compared with what Grego is envisaging. “All other aspects of your life – your electricity, your communication, even your doorbell – have enhanced capabilities.”

The smart toilet era is here! Are you ready to share your analprint with big tech? | Life and style | The Guardian

I imagine a lot of folk would scoff at this, but the bowel cancer screening programme is one of the great successes of the modern NHS and I'm told if you have health insurance in the States, regular analysis of your faeces is mandatory.  Prevention rather than cure is extremely cost effective.  

36 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I imagine a lot of folk would scoff at this, but the bowel cancer screening programme is one of the great successes of the modern NHS and I'm told if you have health insurance in the States, regular analysis of your faeces is mandatory.  Prevention rather than cure is extremely cost effective.  

Whenever I review and regret some of my career choices, I console myself with the thought that Faecal Analyst appears nowhere on my CV!

😀

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Whenever I review and regret some of my career choices, I console myself with the thought that Faecal Analyst appears nowhere on my CV!

😀

I was in IT for 35 years so I guess at times I was a turd polisher :)

• Greenie 1