Webasto silencer

blackrose

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Does anyone know if it matters which way around the Thermotop C silencer goes? Mine seems to have no directional arrows on it. 

Good question. I have never thought about it so I suppose I have fitted them either way many times.  As long as they don't work as amplifiers if back to front!

On 22/09/2021 at 22:24, Cas446 said:

It doesn't matter, however that one does have a mounting hole, so put something in the hole. Better still buy a proper exhaust from here 

https://mvheating.co.uk/product/22mm-exhaust-system/

Thanks,  I'll screw a short bolt into it.

On 22/09/2021 at 22:53, PeterF said:

Is that one fully sealed, the end caps only look like they are spot welded on not seal welded. OK for under a car or truck but not sure about a boat. Check to make sure.

Thanks, the ports look fully sealed to me. I'll pressure test it.

Edited by blackrose

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

Does it matter which end of the exhaust a silencer goes? I know you usually see a silencer at the end of the exhaust but could it go at the start of the pipe after the heater?

Or dispense with it.

Have a blown air diesel heater,and the silencer makes very little difference to the noise level.

51 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Or dispense with it.

Have a blown air diesel heater,and the silencer makes very little difference to the noise level.

Conversely, the silencer on mine makes a big difference to the noise level from the exhaust, heard from outside. No difference to the noise from the unit inside the boat though. 

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Or dispense with it.

Yes I was thinking of fitting the exhaust without the silencer as my old Eberspacher never had one and it wasn't particularly loud. The exhaust is double skinned corrugated pipe which is  insulated between so I think that dampens the sound a bit. I think I'll at least try it without the silencer and see how loud it is.

However, what does removing the silencer do to the back pressure? I assume the silencer would only restrict exhaust gases so removing it would be a good thing from a back pressure perspective, or is it more complicated than that?

Edited by blackrose

On 22/09/2021 at 22:53, PeterF said:

Is that one fully sealed, the end caps only look like they are spot welded on not seal welded. OK for under a car or truck but not sure about a boat. Check to make sure.

My thoughts exactly...

You don't want your engine compartment filling with carbon-me-backside.

I'd put my hand over the outlet...and blow...and make sure it's sealed...

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

My thoughts exactly...

You don't want your engine compartment filling with carbon-me-backside.

I'd put my hand over the outlet...and blow...and make sure it's sealed...

Yes it is sealed, apart from the threaded hole which I've put a 6mm bolt into with a locknut. But I'll try the heater without the silencer first.

19 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes it is sealed, apart from the threaded hole which I've put a 6mm bolt into with a locknut. But I'll try the heater without the silencer first.

Let us know when so we can put our earplugs in ;)

Well if it's too loud then I'll fit the silencer, it's just an easier installation without it.

As I said, my old Eberspacher never had a silencer fitted and it wasn't particularly loud and according to Mad Harold his diesel heater isn't loud without one either. I think it depends on the exhaust length & material and the particular installation, so one shouldn't necessarily assume it will be loud without a silencer. 

13 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Let us know when so we can put our earplugs in ;)

You're moored about 8 miles from me Julian... 😏

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Well if it's too loud then I'll fit the silencer, it's just an easier installation without it.

As I said, my old Eberspacher never had a silencer fitted and it wasn't particularly loud and according to Mad Harold his diesel heater isn't loud without one either. I think it depends on the exhaust length & material and the particular installation, so one shouldn't necessarily assume it will be loud without a silencer. 

Mine is a 5kw Chinaspacher,and on the start up cycle when it goes at full blast for about three minutes,you can hear the fan inside the boat,but to hear the exhaust/inlet you have to stick your head outside.On the start up cycle you can hear a whistling (not very loud)  not sure if it is the exhaust or inlet (suspect inlet) but after about five minutes after start up it all goes quiet.I do have it on a fairly low heat setting.

Inside you can hear a slow thud thud which is the fuel pump mounted on a bulkhead and probably amplifying it a bit,but nothing else.

Outside,standing next to the hull air inlet and exhaust,you can hear a bit of air.From the bow or stern it is just about audible,but I don't think enough to cause annoyance.

There has been a couple of posts on here about noisy diesel heaters,but the opinions were that these were reconditioned used units from e bay.

21 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I am down here at home 260miles away  :)

I have an air intake silencer for mine that i really must get around to fitting.

Its like generators is not the noise inside the boat but the noise outside.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Webasto going now. All my rads are now getting hot but the heater is very noisy at startup and for about an hour until it eases off a bit, but as soon as it cycles back up it's noisy again. I didn't use the silencer but the noise isn't coming from the exhaust. All I'm getting from the exhaust outside is the quiet whistling but it's noisy in the engine space and inside the boat. The noise seems to be coming from the boiler itself, either from the burner or coolant pump perhaps? The heater seems to cycle every 30 mins or so - heating up and then cooling down. Is that supposed to happen?

On 25/09/2021 at 16:06, Mad Harold said:

There has been a couple of posts on here about noisy diesel heaters,but the opinions were that these were reconditioned used units from e bay.

Ah, I guess that's the problem with mine then! Why would a reconditioned unit be noisier I wonder?

Edited by blackrose