Mapledurham Lock, River Thames

nigeyfk

Featured Posts

Good Evening All

Just to say that there is now a significant bywash immediately downstream of the entrance gate to this lock. EA has been constructing a channel for fish movement on the west side and it must have been opened a few days ago. Even when the river is placid (as it is at the moment) this is catching boaters out just at the critical moment of entering the lock. There are no warning signs at present and the lock keeper admitted yesterday that this was catching out most boaters. 
Safe boating all.

• Greenie 1

• 3 months later...

We've noticed a few locks on the Thames where the water from the weir creates a current as we approached. It may be because the river was still running fairly high just after Christmas as we are not regular Thames cruisers we have no previous trips for comparison.

20 hours ago, Squires said:

We've noticed a few locks on the Thames where the water from the weir creates a current as we approached. It may be because the river was still running fairly high just after Christmas as we are not regular Thames cruisers we have no previous trips for comparison.

The river was on red boards then, it has only got back to normal in the last few days.

Keith

I remember approaching Marsh lock going upstream on red board with the weir running towards me. I just had to steer into the weir until the last minute and then turn into the lock entrance. That's all fine until the weir stream hits the back of the boat and then you're all over the shop. 

I managed to control it and didn't hit the lock gates though and me and the lock keeper were both laughing as I came into the lock.