Potential new owner looking for advice

Triumph-Rat

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, here is an auto electrician who had no difficulty with those things, but I suspect that may be to do with the depth of training and willingness to self study. Well, actually a qualified vehicle technician who worked most of the time on the bench in auto electrics. I don't think you can generalise but I would be very wary of a domestic electrician.

OOps! Sorry I was generalising. You are exceptional Tony.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

OOps! Sorry I was generalising. You are exceptional Tony.

Wot about SirN, I bet he could knock the socks off me in certain areas like 6 diode alternators!

Seriously, I was trying to make the point that some auto electricians will be fine, however I suspect the NVQ 2 lot would be a liability.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Wot about SirN, I bet he could knock the socks off me in certain areas like 6 diode alternators!

Seriously, I was trying to make the point that some auto electricians will be fine, however I suspect the NVQ 2 lot would be a liability.

Bit like us house bashers 😁

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Wife operated as a 'satellite' training centre to a local college offering Equestrian Studies NVQ.

I was amazed that NVQ1 was achieved by turning up and NVQ level 2 was when you could write your name.

Common sense started with level 3 and it wasn't until level 4 and above that you could actually say they were learning a skill.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 21/09/2021 at 17:59, Triumph-Rat said:

Hi, name is Chris.

Don't want to start membership on a downer, but think I should outline my current situation to give some context to how dumb some of my initial questions may be 🙂

I am a self employed ecologist and life was OK up until last year, then covid hit and then work I had booked in stopped, people put barn conversions and land development on hold and Western Power who I had a number of jobs booked in with went to emergency works only so lots of work lost.

This resulted in many missed payments and by default a credit rating faceplant.

Now, as I am finally pulling it back round, my ex-wife has (after 12 years) decided she no longer wants to be on the mortgage.

I can't afford to buy her out, she can't afford to buy me out so the only option is me selling the house.

Bit of a wrench when it happened but I have always been a bit 'alternative' (apparently).

I know with my credit rating and age (52) I won't get another house mortgage, but having looked around it is just possible that I will make enough from the sale to afford a decent narrowboat.

Given that I love boats, fishing (maggot dipping mainly) and being able to have my space away from neighbors it seems the best solution.

So I am possibly going from years of bricks and mortar to finally being free (ish) 😀

Look forward to reading the info on here and maybe meeting some of you at some point down the line.

Better off getting a new wife with loads of money and subbing off her. 

Problem solved 

Next!

Is it just me or is it getting like an Agony Aunt’s  column on here?

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

There there never mind, you'll probably feel better about it all in the morning...

I’m not sure I will. 
Death get’s closer each day. 

signed Anon 

Edited by Goliath
To mess with an apostrophe while I wait to die.

On 21/09/2021 at 17:59, Triumph-Rat said:

Hi, name is Chris.

Don't want to start membership on a downer, but think I should outline my current situation to give some context to how dumb some of my initial questions may be 🙂

I am a self employed ecologist and life was OK up until last year, then covid hit and then work I had booked in stopped, people put barn conversions and land development on hold and Western Power who I had a number of jobs booked in with went to emergency works only so lots of work lost.

This resulted in many missed payments and by default a credit rating faceplant.

Now, as I am finally pulling it back round, my ex-wife has (after 12 years) decided she no longer wants to be on the mortgage.

I can't afford to buy her out, she can't afford to buy me out so the only option is me selling the house.

Bit of a wrench when it happened but I have always been a bit 'alternative' (apparently).

I know with my credit rating and age (52) I won't get another house mortgage, but having looked around it is just possible that I will make enough from the sale to afford a decent narrowboat.

Given that I love boats, fishing (maggot dipping mainly) and being able to have my space away from neighbors it seems the best solution.

So I am possibly going from years of bricks and mortar to finally being free (ish) 😀

Look forward to reading the info on here and maybe meeting some of you at some point down the line.

Hey Chris, that sucks man. Just in case, a heads up, ecological consultancies are hiring big time at the moment, especially some of the big multidisciplinary consultancies (source - I'm an ecologist at a big consultancy and staff turnover has been really high in the latter part of the pandemic). Also, with the whole homeworking thing looking like it might stick around (at least in my company) it's easier than before to be a CCer with the permanent job.

Best of luck!

Edited by Ewan123
  • Greenie 1

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking

Running around, to come up behind you again

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Pink Floyd - Time (DSOTM)

2 hours ago, agg221 said:

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking

Running around, to come up behind you again

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Pink Floyd - Time (DSOTM)

Utterly LURVE that lyric. Possibly my all time fave song EVAR!

On 23/09/2021 at 19:10, Ewan123 said:

Hey Chris, that sucks man. Just in case, a heads up, ecological consultancies are hiring big time at the moment, especially some of the big multidisciplinary consultancies (source - I'm an ecologist at a big consultancy and staff turnover has been really high in the latter part of the pandemic). Also, with the whole homeworking thing looking like it might stick around (at least in my company) it's easier than before to be a CCer with the permanent job.

Best of luck!

Hi Ewan, thanks for that but I did the big consultancies (URS, WYG) and their regime is the reason I went solo.

Business is picking up now so not worried at the moment.

Couldn't go back to an office job with managers looking over my shoulder LOL

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Triumph-Rat said:

Hi Ewan, thanks for that but I did the big consultancies (URS, WYG) and their regime is the reason I went solo.

Business is picking up now so not worried at the moment.

Couldn't go back to an office job with managers looking over my shoulder LOL

Understandable!

On 21/09/2021 at 18:05, Alan de Enfield said:

DO NOT BUY A BOAT BECAUSE IT IS ALL YOU CAN AFFORD.

If you do not have a wish and an affinity to be a boater, you will be miserable, depressed and fail.

Have a read of this thread for someone who was in (seemingly) a similar situation to yourself.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/112645-fridge-behaviour/

I am miserable, depressed and failing already, but I can't go fishing in my garden LOL

2 minutes ago, Triumph-Rat said:

I am miserable, depressed and failing already, but I can't go fishing in my garden LOL

Fisherfolk are miserable, don't do it. I live on a boat, other people who live on boats keep stopping and talking to me about boats. All we talk about is boats. Boats make me happy (and beer). If you want a boat then get a boat, if youre not sure then don't

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Fisherfolk are miserable, don't do it. I live on a boat, other people who live on boats keep stopping and talking to me about boats. All we talk about is boats. Boats make me happy (and beer). If you want a boat then get a boat, if youre not sure then don't

I'm sure, just on a fact finding mission but as usual with forums there are 'go for it' and 'doooomed for failure' posts.

Just have to sort wheat from chaff 🙂

Talking boats and beer would be good, fishing talk also welcome.

Trying to decide when my initial thread is done and I need to go pissing other members off with questions that are needed for me but old hat for them.

Edited by Triumph-Rat

4 minutes ago, Triumph-Rat said:

I'm sure, just on a fact finding mission but as usual with forums there are 'go for it' and 'doooomed for failure' posts.

Just have to sort wheat from chaff 🙂

Talking boats and beer would be good, fishing talk also welcome.

Trying to decide when my initial thread is done and I need to go pissing other members off with questions that are needed for me but old hat for them.

With one or two exceptions they like answering the same questions again and again so keep asking. 😀.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Aren't they cold in winter?

Where do you get your shopping?

Where does the dog go for a poo?

and best of all......

Do you get sore knees never been able to stand up 😀