Anyone know what this is?

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

Housing for an Electromagnetic clutch - you pull a button / switch, it switches on / off the electromagnet and allows the clutch to engage.

Found on ride on mowers and similar equipment to engage / disengage drive.

Image result for electro magnetic clutch

How it works – Electromagnetic tooth clutches operate via an electric actuation but transmit torque mechanically. When current flows through the clutch coil, the coil becomes an electromagnet and produces magnetic lines of flux. ... When current is removed from the clutch field, the armature is free to turn with the shaft.
Edited by Alan de Enfield

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Housing for an Electromagnetic clutch - you pull a button / switch, it switches on / off the electromagnet and allows the clutch to engage.

Found on ride on mowers and similar equipment to engage / disengage drive.

Image result for electro magnetic clutch

How it works – Electromagnetic tooth clutches operate via an electric actuation but transmit torque mechanically. When current flows through the clutch coil, the coil becomes an electromagnet and produces magnetic lines of flux. ... When current is removed from the clutch field, the armature is free to turn with the shaft.

Sorry, its not that AdeE.

What would I know…but how about if the magnet was for collecting metal particles like you get on sump plugs?

The whole thing looks like it screws on and off. Maybe held a filter?

and the small hole down the centre was for a long locking nut

Edited by Goliath

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its the magnet off the back of a PM loudspeaker, the anvil  in the centre  goes through the speech coil.

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

2248215-597ae5da-jbl-l36-woofer-pair-1-600x384.jpg

57 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I agree. Magnet for a speaker.

Right, I'm convinced.  Thanks clever people.

For all the less clever contributors, I'm willing to sell a very rare classic obfuscating wingwang sprocket for only one hundred pounds plus p&p to anyone daft enough to bite ...

... and if that fails I'll put it back in the skip as @Sea Dog suggested.  There won't be room for the mattress as a 3-piece suite turned up in the skip overnight!

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

What would I know…but how about if the magnet was for collecting metal particles like you get on sump plugs?

The whole thing looks like it screws on and off. Maybe held a filter?

and the small hole down the centre was for a long locking nut

I did wonder much the same, which is why I picked it up and asked what it is.  

17 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

... and if that fails I'll put it back in the skip as @Sea Dog suggested.  There won't be room for the mattress as a 3-piece suite turned up in the skip overnight!

Move fast! The law says a skip cannot be moved until there is a mattress or a sofa on the top, after which it could be taken at any time without warning.

19 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My advice? Put it back in the skip. Whatever it is, it's broken - that's why it was in there. ;)

(It's a skip, so there'll be a mattress in there shortly too - that won't be worth having either)

Plus bags of shit from the boaters with 'composting' toilets. 

• Greenie 1