Victron Cyrix-ct--230A Advice

Featured Posts

Hi All

Looking to install a Cyrix-ct-230A  Battery Combiner (VSR

My question is .... :- 

I have seen many installs using just the one Alternator and  Two battery banks,   but non with two (I have one 70A Alternator for Starter Battery and another 70A for domestic bank)

So is it possible at all.  Just thinking of using my spare power from starter alernator to help keep domestics topped up in winter months :-)

Thank you

Andy

9 minutes ago, andybarrett1 said:

Hi All

Looking to install a Cyrix-ct-230A  Battery Combiner (VSR

My question is .... :- 

I have seen many installs using just the one Alternator and  Two battery banks,   but non with two (I have one 70A Alternator for Starter Battery and another 70A for domestic bank)

So is it possible at all.  Just thinking of using my spare power from starter alernator to help keep domestics topped up in winter months 🙂

Thank you

Andy

Yes it is and everything should play well together, including solar if you have it, but with one proviso.  If one alternator has a higher regulated voltage than the other the one with the lower voltage may cut out and put its warning lamp on. This is not a problem because it can't do this until the charging voltage has risen enough  for the regulators to start working, so after all the bulk charging has been done. At that time the engine battery will be fully charged so the output from the working alternator will be the same as now. The bulk charging would have been done faster.

No one can say if this will happen so try it ans see, you will get better domestic battery charging than you have now whatever happens.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes it is and everything should play well together, including solar if you have it, but with one proviso.  If one alternator has a higher regulated voltage than the other the one with the lower voltage may cut out and put its warning lamp on. This is not a problem because it can't do this until the charging voltage has risen enough  for the regulators to start working, so after all the bulk charging has been done. At that time the engine battery will be fully charged so the output from the working alternator will be the same as now. The bulk charging would have been done faster.

No one can say if this will happen so try it ans see, you will get better domestic battery charging than you have now whatever happens.

Thank You

They are the same alternators so .... Hopefully be OK  :-)

Solar still goes via the controller staight to the Domestics ?

Andy

Just now, andybarrett1 said:

Thank You

They are the same alternators so .... Hopefully be OK  🙂

Solar still goes via the controller staight to the Domestics ?

Andy

The same would apply to solar if its regulated voltage was higher than the alternator's, but luckily modern solar controllers seem to drop into a lower float voltage early so you tend not to get this phenomenon I think the Cyrex is dual sensing so it will allow solar to charge both banks without any alteration.

FWIW, when we left out boat in high summer for a week with everything turned off and then moved off around midday the charge light would glow and the warning buzzer chirp a bit until some domestic electricity was used.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

FWIW, when we left out boat in high summer for a week with everything turned off and then moved off around midday the charge light would glow and the warning buzzer chirp a bit until some domestic electricity was used.

Try it and see then  :-)

Thank you