Carpet up the gunwhales

deckhand

Featured Posts

We have laid laminate flooring and are now carpetting the walls.  I have read the previous threads on this subject and understand that there is a lot of boaters that do not understand or want carpet up the walls.

I am hoping that someone with the right logical mind might be able to help.  We have two strips of carpet, a metre wide.  Is it best to try and lay in one strip, understanding that the boat curves and isnt a straight flat wall.

Or is it better to cut smaller pieces and stick on next to each other. Will this make the curve easier to manage?  We have a 46ft narrow boat, carpet will only be on lounge walls which is at the bow of the boat.

Hope this makes sense.

Kim

50 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mine went on in one piece held with spray adhesive. 20 years on and like lots of things it needs doing again. I also have floor vinyl on the walls in the bathroom/shower

Thankyou, actually the floor vinyl is a good suggestion. ;))

4 hours ago, deckhand said:

We have laid laminate flooring and are now carpetting the walls.

It might be helpful to expand a bit on what you mean by "the walls" as boats don't actually have "walls" as such. Presumably you mean the internal faces of either the hull, or of the cabin sides, or both. The approximately vertical partitions inside the boat are called bulkheads. 

Also what if anything, is already on the internal faces of the hull and/or cabin sides? Is it bare steel or has it already been lined with something, e.g. insulation and plywood? (My elderly boat for example has insulation then diagonal tongued and grooved pine covering the internal steel face of the hull.)

The material you are wanting to cover over makes a big difference to how to go about it, I'd suggest. 

I  don't really understand the curved bit if it's a narrowboat In the main the hull to gunwale part is flat because the hull is lined with wood to hide the insulation (if you have any) and the boat's ribs. There may be a degree of curvature at the front of a small narrowboat though. It is much the same for the cabin sides. If this is a GRP cruiser then there is likely to be compound curves so that will make a stiff carpet difficult to fit neatly.

FWIW when I did this to my narrowboat I cut thin plywood to fit against the hull lining and stuck the carpet to that. This was secured in place along the top with screws. That is far easier than fighting lengths of carpet and glue on a near vertical surface. It would not work on a GR It is much the same for the cabin sides. P hull with compound curves.

I cannot get the image of my grandma's old bath which was carpeted on the sides out of my head reading this thread! 😳

Edited by MrsM
To clarify carpet was on the outside, not the inside of the bath!
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, MtB said:

It might be helpful to expand a bit on what you mean by "the walls" as boats don't actually have "walls" as such. Presumably you mean the internal faces of either the hull, or of the cabin sides, or both. The approximately vertical partitions inside the boat are called bulkheads. 

Also what if anything, is already on the internal faces of the hull and/or cabin sides? Is it bare steel or has it already been lined with something, e.g. insulation and plywood? (My elderly boat for example has insulation then diagonal tongued and grooved pine covering the internal steel face of the hull.)

The material you are wanting to cover over makes a big difference to how to go about it, I'd suggest. 

carpet.jpg

We put the carpet on today. Picture shown above.

A 1 metre wide strip fitted great and we used a spray gum to fix to the boarding. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, deckhand said:

the curves that I was worried about start from under the window and curve toward the door at the bow.  Not as pronounced maybe as I was worried about.

I suspect those curves are probably not compound (curved in two planes) and if so putting the carpet up will be almost as easy as the straight bits.

23 hours ago, deckhand said:

We have laid laminate flooring and are now carpetting the walls.  I have read the previous threads on this subject and understand that there is a lot of boaters that do not understand or want carpet up the walls.

I think we all understand what carpeting the walls up to gunwale height means. Some boat owners like it, others don't. Personally I think it looks naff, but each to their own. It's your boat so do what you want.

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think we all understand what carpeting the walls up to gunwale height means. Some boat owners like it, others don't. Personally I think it looks naff, but each to their own. It's your boat so do what you want.

I wasnt suggesting that people didnt understand what carpeting up the walls might mean, i meant didnt maybe understand the reason why someone might want carpet on the walls. Like you say, some like it, some dont.  I think it looks great. 

Many thanks to those that did offer some positive help.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I want something like pub carpet. 

Don't get me started on that.

Pub carpet is a rare and precious thing nowadays. The vast majority of pubs now have hard "engineered wood" or laminate floors which ruin the ambience and raise the noise level to impossible once the place is well-filled.

Bring back stinking proper beer-soaked pub carpets, I say. 

4 hours ago, deckhand said:

carpet.jpg

We put the carpet on today. Picture shown above.

A 1 metre wide strip fitted great and we used a spray gum to fix to the boarding. 

Looks well.

Dont worry too much about 'the boiler man's' pedantry about what walls you were talking about.

Most of us knew, especially those of us who have hired as its commonly seen on hire boats.

In the late 1960's I  spent many Saturday evenings with my friends in a pub in the London Docks that had sawdust over the bare floorboards and a circular Victorian cast iron gents urinal outside.    It was a good place to go for a quiet drink and a game of cards as most of its trade was in the early morning and lunch time for the dockers. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1