The South Oxford

George and Dragon

Featured Posts

Having spent a week at Thrupp whilst waiting for the K&A to reopen during August, the moorings are mostly vacated by 9.30, but full again by 3pm. You need to be early to get a spot.

Get the train from Lower Heyford into Oxford, loads of secure moorings available. However I also had no problem getting a mooring in Oxford after I got tired of the Thames. Southcote lock!

• Greenie 2

With respect to the Folly, I get that as it is now is not to everyone’s taste, but I thought that what they have done is excellent, the marquee bar and the outside space makes it a bit like being at a festival.  I don’t mind the “fast food” service in that setting either.  Sure if you want a posh meal it is probably not the place to go at the moment.

I have not seen it yet, but there are pictures on Facebook of their new garden building, basically a big shed with a bar and seating, that I assume will be a permanent replacement for the marquee.  If we have time, I hope to visit when we get back to Napton in a couple of weeks.

Are they not using the pub building at all still?  We were last there last October and they had just started booked inside dining, but sadly that would have only been for a few weeks, and this year they did not open until May and again only outside.

• Greenie 1

There's usually room above Isis Lock if you don't arrive late. Be careful coming in if you try any of the moorings further up in Oxford, some are shallow or have bits of bank that have fallen in to cause obstruction even if they're signed as 7 or 14 day.

On the Thames, assuming a short term license (there are EA patrol boats) East Street below Osney bridge is good for one night. From a few hundred m below Osney lock to Folly bridge there are a few places to moor but unattractive and no meaningful time limit. There are always boats tied up opposite the entrance to Osney Mill marina which is bloody annoying as they make it hard to get out of (I moor there). It's usually feasible to find a space opposite Christchurch Meadow if you don't mind a bit of a walk back to the bridge. My favourite spot though is upstream from the end of Sheepcote channel. Plenty of trees to tie to, usually plenty of space, quiet (the bottom end of the canal can be very noisy with trains), not much used and only a few minutes walk to town. In theory 24 h limit but you'll struggle to find the sign.

Martin/

11 hours ago, MtB said:

That's a restaurant not a pub.

They sell good beer and there is just room to get three, possibly four, drinkers sat on bar stools at the bar. You feel like you are right in the way of the eaters buying the occasional pint and indeed you are. Its sad, if they just got rid of one or two dining tables they could make a nice little drinking area and be a pub.

I have heard a couple of first hand very positive reports about the Red Lion in Cropredy so worth a look next time you are up that way.

The Folly was really bad when I was there in July (might have been June) - found plastic disposable pint glasses quite offensive, same for the polystyrene food containers but the worst thing was the food... I was quite sick the next day. It sounded like the staff were really fed up with the chef, who was very uncooperative.

On the other hand, I heard from someone who went there a couple of days ago that you can now get your beer in an actual glass, and the food was quite decent, albeit still in polystyrene containers. I suspect they've replaced the chef.

I personally won't be going back until we're allowed back inside the pub itself, and can have food on actual plates, but it does sound like it might have improved recently.

58 minutes ago, dmr said:

They sell good beer and there is just room to get three, possibly four, drinkers sat on bar stools at the bar. You feel like you are right in the way of the eaters buying the occasional pint and indeed you are. Its sad, if they just got rid of one or two dining tables they could make a nice little drinking area and be a pub.

I have heard a couple of first hand very positive reports about the Red Lion in Cropredy so worth a look next time you are up that way.

I do like the GWA, and usually in need of food when arriving so that's all good.

The Red Lion has NEVER been open when I have stopped in Cropredy

1 hour ago, dmr said:

It did seem like there were a couple of 'drinking' tables in front of the bar, I went in for a pint a couple of times and never had a problem.

Red Lion in Cropredy is a decent local drinking hole, a bit rough round the edges but everyone seemed friendly enough and beer was decent. The Brasenose feels a bit 'sterile' inside these days, and there was quite a limited beer selection from what I remember. I'd probably go there in preference if I wanted to eat though.

Edited by phantom_iv

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I have heard a couple of first hand very positive reports about the Red Lion in Cropredy 

Blimey, how much did they pay them?

To be fair, we haven't been in there since its last cycle of close/ re-open/ close again/ under new management blah blah blah, so it may have improved. From what I remember of my last visit - only one beer on draught, a brew of which I had never heard and never want to hear again - it could scarcely have done otherwise.

We like the Braze a lot, though there again we haven't been in since the South Africans left..

16 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned The Great Western Arms at Aynho.

Keith

O.K., I'll mention it. Went in there once. Found it cold and impersonal, and the beer expensive. Have managed to avoid it since.

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I do like the GWA, and usually in need of food when arriving so that's all good.

I have visited the Great Western a number of times. Always had a few beers and only eaten once. Sonogram just a restaurant as mentioned earlier.

The Red Lion in Cropredy is a no no for me. It was a decent pub fifteen or so years ago.

18 hours ago, MtB said:

That's a restaurant not a pub.

This is the sad reality of many a pub these days. I am lucky in that the place I have moved to although small still has two pubs that get reasonable support and neither does any food, still being proper pubs :D

Which reminds me, tis nearly beer oclock :D

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

We walked past the Redd Lion, it was open but I just assumed it would be no good.

Next day went to the Brazenose with mtb and although the beer was good every single table, including those in the bar, was set out ready for eating. Heading onwards I chatted to two boater who said they had really enjoyed the Red Lion and it felt like a proper friendly pub. I will try to test it out next year if it hasn't closed again by then 😀.

I think Cropredy has a population of 700 so it must be hard for a pub to sutvive the winter.

Moored outside the Kings Head at Atherstone last night. It was quite good with a very well thought out outdoor drinking empire, I suspect Covid has actually improved it.

Good bear, reasonable food.

Technically off topic, Atherstone is on the Cov.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

We like the Braze a lot, though there again we haven't been in since the South Africans left..

It will be a shock. 

Like the Great Western, it is 100% restaurant now. All the comfy sofas and casual feel have gone. All you'll find inside now is dining tables and chairs, all place-set ready for serving proper meals and swarms of smartly dressed table-waiting staff buzzing about. 

Edited by MtB
  • Sad 1

Sounds like The Folly can be hit or miss.  Pre COVID I enjoyed going there.  Visited twice this month. Beer and service was good but I found the food poor and portions small for the price.  I wasn’t impressed with the ‘take away’ box and plastic cutlery either. Unless you can get inside the marquee it can get cold in the evenings this time of year.

By contrast my two visits to The Wharf at Fenny were better than expected based on past reports I have read. The hand pumped beers were well kept and good quality food served on plates!  I think the Folly needs to up its game.

6 minutes ago, Hotspur said:

Sounds like The Folly can be hit or miss.  Pre COVID I enjoyed going there.  Visited twice this month. Beer and service was good but I found the food poor and portions small for the price.  I wasn’t impressed with the ‘take away’ box and plastic cutlery either. Unless you can get inside the marquee it can get cold in the evenings this time of year.

By contrast my two visits to The Wharf at Fenny were better than expected based on past reports I have read. The hand pumped beers were well kept and good quality food served on plates!  I think the Folly needs to up its game.

We stopped at the folly. Just had beer but I agree about the takeout boxes and plastic cutlery…not what I’d expect now from a decent pub…even Wetherspoons gives you a china plate & steel forks….was glad we decided not to eat if I’m honest…I wouldn’t mind but the prices weren’t cheap…bit of a shame as I’ve always liked the Folly. 

On 22/09/2021 at 18:35, MtB said:

It will be a shock. 

Like the Great Western, it is 100% restaurant now. All the comfy sofas and casual feel have gone. All you'll find inside now is dining tables and chairs, all place-set ready for serving proper meals and swarms of smartly dressed table-waiting staff buzzing about. 

We've just come back from a few days on the boat, and while there we had a chat with Teo who worked there for some time, as she now moors just down from us. She saiod more or less the same as you have, the one plus point being lots of staff - under the previous regime Teo, or the equally estimable Holly, often had to be both waitress and barmaid - and apparently sign guests in for the B&B as well!

Holly has now, we're told, moved to the Red Lion, so perhaps that place is looking up, though the new landlord and landlady are allegedly alcoholics which may not help.

We went past Forge Farm on the boat and saw Aldebaran in almost solitary spendour. has Gregg got fewer moorers than hitherto?

56 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Back to the Folly, we are in there at the moment, ie in the “potting shed”.  They have done a great job.

Food I think is still just the garden menu in disposable packaging.

D4006AF4-BBD3-4855-88E4-6F5009C90C05.jpeg

I'm back to the boat next week after I've had my 3rd covid jab on Sunday. Hope I can drop in there one day next week. Regardless of anything else their WI Fi is good and downloading something like an F1 race is practical.

1 hour ago, Slim said:

I'm back to the boat next week after I've had my 3rd covid jab on Sunday. Hope I can drop in there one day next week. Regardless of anything else their WI Fi is good and downloading something like an F1 race is practical.

The Potting Shed has its own Wi-fi, it’s Ok but not the best

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting a slightly old topic but does anyone have a rough guide to the cost for a day pass to go round the Thames past Oxford rather than turning back at Isis Lock?

Looks like close to £50 on the EA site - is that correct? Sounds a hefty chunk of cash for an hour on the river...

Thanks.

57 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Resurrecting a slightly old topic but does anyone have a rough guide to the cost for a day pass to go round the Thames past Oxford rather than turning back at Isis Lock?

Looks like close to £50 on the EA site - is that correct? Sounds a hefty chunk of cash for an hour on the river...

Thanks.

Yep basically that's it.  I does not really become economical until you have a week on the Thames.  If you can spare the time go up to Lechlade (a couple of days each day will do it), the nicest part of the river in my opinion.