The South Oxford

George and Dragon

Featured Posts

We're planning to 'do' the South Oxford in the next month or so. I know there are lots of older threads but I wondered how up to date they are.

I really want to know what are the best and worst things to look out for on and away from the canal, is mooring particularly difficult anywhere and are the pubs any good?

We'd like to have a look around Oxford if possible, can we book moorings anywhere?

I seem to recall talk of some difficult locks and restricted opening times...

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Marvellous, our Nicholson's helpfully says continued in book 7 :( 

Dont forget that to do that you'll need to buy a Thames licence.

We have often moored near bridge 239A, there's usually space.

It's a little way into the centre, but we have foldup bikes and Oxford is very bike friendly.

Steve

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Just Heaven said:

Dont forget that to do that you'll need to buy a Thames licence.

We have often moored near bridge 239A, there's usually space.

It's a little way into the centre, but we have foldup bikes and Oxford is very bike friendly.

Steve

not for the South Oxford you won’t

I am fond of the South Oxford. We've moored on it, at Cropredy, for years. It's scenic, winding and largely rural.

Fairly long sections are pub-free and shop-free, so stock up and drink up where you can. For example, no pubs or shops from Fenny Compton to Napton.

To visit Oxford, if you wish to avoid trying to find a mooring in the city, why not catch a train either from Banbury (station about ten minutes' walk from canal, frequent trains) or Lower Heyford (station literally beside the canal, less frequent trains) and go down there for the day?

Edited by Athy

Worth a correction / but worthy of more research -

How about mooring in Thrupp and walkong the short distance to the Jolly Boatman (or moor outside) and catch the bus into Oxenford?

There is a bus stop by the JB - but I've no idea whether it takes you into Oxford or merely skirts arouns. The same probably applies to the bus from Lower Heyford.

As a Thames boater, I'd love you to spend your money on a day's STL (the EA is broke and could do with some dosh...).,

If you don't mind the fee (you can squeeze nearly two days out of it), then come off the canal at Duke's Lock and go through two Thames locks and have a magnificent view of the the City in the distance, ending up at the moorings just above Osney Lock (free for an overnight and a bit more). If you moor near the lock, these moorings are very quiet - given that Osney Bridge carries the A38 over the cut.

The city centre is but a short walk away - and if you take to the side streets, not only do you get a quieter walk, but a more pleasant view of the City.

It's easy to spend two days or more  in the centre with lots to see and do - provided that CoVid restrictions haven't strangled college visits too much...

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

There is a bus stop by the JB - but I've no idea whether it takes you into Oxford or merely skirts arouns.

From memory, yes it does. We caught one from there into Oxford about three years ago while moored in Thrupp for a few days.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I am fond of the South Oxford. We've moored on it, at Cropredy, for years. It's scenic, winding and largely rural.

Fairly long sections are pub-free and shop-free, so stock up and drink up where you can. For example, no pubs or shops from Fenny Compton to Napton.

To visit Oxford, if you wish to avoid trying to find a mooring in the city, why not catch a train either from Banbury (station about ten minutes' walk from canal, frequent trains) or Lower Heyford (station literally beside the canal, less frequent trains) and go down there for the day?

I would give you a greenie for useful advice. I guess it gets noisier near the M40, I don't suppose the trains will bother us greatly though. Is it practical to wind a 60' boat south of Thrupp without venturing onto the Thames?

21 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

How about mooring in Thrupp and walkong the short distance to the Jolly Boatman (or moor outside) and catch the bus into Oxenford?

There is a bus stop by the JB - but I've no idea whether it takes you into Oxford or merely skirts arouns. The same probably applies to the bus from Lower Heyford.

As a Thames boater, I'd love you to spend your money on a day's STL (the EA is broke and could do with some dosh...).,

If you don't mind the fee (you can squeeze nearly two days out of it), then come off the canal at Duke's Lock and go through two Thames locks and have a magnificent view of the the City in the distance, ending up at the moorings just above Osney Lock (free for an overnight and a bit more). If you moor near the lock, these moorings are very quiet - given that Osney Bridge carries the A38 over the cut.

The city centre is but a short walk away - and if you take to the side streets, not only do you get a quieter walk, but a more pleasant view of the City.

It's easy to spend two days or more  in the centre with lots to see and do - provided that CoVid restrictions haven't strangled college visits too much...

I guess buses tend to go to population centres at some point on their route...

Does the EA get to keep the money it charges for licences? I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to learn that by some magical funding formula they lose any excess over their costs in reduced grant </cynic>. However, I will not let my cynicism alone deter me from following your advice :) 

Are there dog friendly pubs in Oxford?

Edited by George and Dragon
punctuation

2 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I would give you a greenie for useful advice. I guess it gets noisier near the M40, I don't suppose the trains will bother us greatly though. Is it practical to wind a 60' boat south of Thrupp without venturing onto the Thames

Thanks. I can't answer your question because we only went down as far as Thrupp!

However, there is a hire fleet (College Cruisers) somewhere in the Oxford outskirts. They must be able to turn their boats round, so you'll be able to as well.

1 minute ago, George and Dragon said:

I would give you a greenie for useful advice. I guess it gets noisier near the M40, I don't suppose the trains will bother us greatly though. Is it practical to wind a 60' boat south of Thrupp without venturing onto the Thames

I guess buses tend to go to population centres at some point on their route...

Does the EA get to keep the money it charges for licences? I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to learn that by some magical funding formula they lose any excess over their costs in reduced grant </cynic>. However, I will not let my cynicism alone deter me from following your advice :) 

Are there dog friendly pubs in Oxford?

Several places to rurn 60ft below Thrupp. Best if not going ont Thames is to drop thro Isis lock and spin there just ont Thames back water and come straight back into the lock, no licence required. Can turn at Dukes before entering the last leg to Oxford if you prefer. Plenty of pubs some allow dogs but after covid u need to fone and check. The Lamb and Flag that was the best pub in Oxford is now closed :(

Plenty of great overnight moorings on the very uncrowded south Oxford. Stop at The Pig place at Adderbury for some PROPER pork and a fabulous breakfast and overnight mooring with lectric but no water.

• Greenie 2

I often moor up on the canal towpath in  central Oxford  and always find a spot somewhere or other but south of the waterpoint near Bridge 238 you enter into the Oxford Mooring Zone where stay times are limited (Visitor moorings 2 or 7 days) and it's worth reading the CRT guidance.https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/25489-oxford-visitor-mooring-terms-and-conditions-2016.pdf?v=b60405

As other have said,pubs are few and far between on the southern Oxford,.I normally pop into The Folly below Napton Locks and their beer garden is dog friendly,In Banbury ,if you like micropubs and all things beer ,head to the Bailiff's Tap which I would imagine is dog friendly.Ye Olde Reindeer has a great interior but not everyone enjoys Hook Norton beers and this is a tied house.Don't know their dog policy.

I always enjoy The Bell in Lower Heyford and have also used the station to get into Oxford and elsewhere.

The pubs in Thrupp are attractive but sadly tied to Greene King so can be a let down on the real ale front.If you do venture down the canal into central Oxford you will be very close to a whole host of community type pubs in Jericho.Lots of character,my favourite being the Gardeners Arms on Plantation Road.

Enjoy your voyage of discovery.

Edited by Quaffer
  • Greenie 1

We've always (about five times) found pleasant moorings available in Jericho just above Isis Lock on the canal in Oxford. A short walk into the city from there. To turn a 60 footer you go down Isis Lock turn around and come straight back up.

Edited by Alway Swilby
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Just been down there -  we had no chance of mooring in Thrupp, it was totally clogged up with boats.  Meeting boats anywhere was a real pain, especially where the outside vegetation hasn't been touched. To say nothing of queueing for locks.....

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, archie57 said:

Just been down there -  we had no chance of mooring in Thrupp, it was totally clogged up with boats.  Meeting boats anywhere was a real pain, especially where the outside vegetation hasn't been touched. To say nothing of queueing for locks.....

Best you don't go down there again then....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

We're planning to 'do' the South Oxford in the next month or so. I know there are lots of older threads but I wondered how up to date they are.

I really want to know what are the best and worst things to look out for on and away from the canal, is mooring particularly difficult anywhere and are the pubs any good?

We'd like to have a look around Oxford if possible, can we book moorings anywhere?

I seem to recall talk of some difficult locks and restricted opening times...

As regards "difficult locks" the only issue you might have is the deeper ones eg Kings Sutton where the big single bottom gates can be a bit uncooperative, otherwise the South Oxford is about as easy as it gets.  Restricted opening times, only during droughts. There isn't, to my knowledge, a vandalism problem on the Oxford well not yet anyway.    

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

As regards "difficult locks" the only issue you might have is the deeper ones eg Kings Sutton where the big single bottom gates can be a bit uncooperative, otherwise the South Oxford is about as easy as it gets.  Restricted opening times, only during droughts. There isn't, to my knowledge, a vandalism problem on the Oxford well not yet anyway.    

Just done the South Oxford for the first time in three years, serious vandalism, horrid blue lock name signs at many locks replacing the traditional curved top style Oxford signs 😀.

Actually the canal is feeling very badly maintained with several locks looking very sad and towpath falling into the cut. Even some hire boaters and walkers noticed canal neglect and new blue signs. Still a lovely canal though and the absence of speeding cyclists is a  real bonus. Met a few eScooters at Cropredy but the poor towpath does limit their speed.

Canal getting very shallow in a few places in addition to the usual summit places.

Tried the "new" Wharf at Fenny. All poshed up inside but rather tasteful. Garden a shadow of its former self, just picnic benches in straight lines. Two real ales at £4. Tried one and it was very very good so tried it again and again to confirm. Place got quite busy early evening with lots of families doing fast feeding so did feel more like a dining room than a pub.

Hearing many bad reports about the Folly so gave it a miss, but it is still in a semi covid state so might get better.

Thrupp was rammed but never stop there as don't like Greene King, especially when its expensive.

Sad that the quirky boaters pub "Rock of Gibraltar" has gone, I used to like that one.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, dmr said:

Just done the South Oxford for the first time in three years, serious vandalism, horrid blue lock name signs at many locks replacing the traditional curved top style Oxford signs 😀.

Actually the canal is feeling very badly maintained with several locks looking very sad and towpath falling into the cut. Even some hire boaters and walkers noticed canal neglect and new blue signs. Still a lovely canal though and the absence of speeding cyclists is a  real bonus. Met a few eScooters at Cropredy but the poor towpath does limit their speed.

Canal getting very shallow in a few places in addition to the usual summit places.

Tried the "new" Wharf at Fenny. All poshed up inside but rather tasteful. Garden a shadow of its former self, just picnic benches in straight lines. Two real ales at £4. Tried one and it was very very good so tried it again and again to confirm. Place got quite busy early evening with lots of families doing fast feeding so did feel more like a dining room than a pub.

Hearing many bad reports about the Folly so gave it a miss, but it is still in a semi covid state so might get better.

Thrupp was rammed but never stop there as don't like Greene King, especially when its expensive.

Sad that the quirky boaters pub "Rock of Gibraltar" has gone, I used to like that one.

I'm intrigued! What 'bad reports have you heard of the Folly recently? I've been there many times over the years and never found fault. In my opinion, in the current Covid climate, they've done particularly well. True you can't drink in the pub proper but that's because it's layout doesn't  make civid safe. They have a number of superior gazebos with wooden floors, proper tables and chairs, hand sanitizer everywhere, table service, slightly restricted but good menu. For the winter they are building something which will enable them to remain open but as I'm unsure of the details I can't comment further. Oh, I forgot to mention their beer, Old Hookey 🥛

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Slim said:

I'm intrigued! What 'bad reports have you heard of the Folly recently? I've been there many times over the years and never found fault. In my opinion, in the current Covid climate, they've done particularly well. True you can't drink in the pub proper but that's because it's layout doesn't  make civid safe. They have a number of superior gazebos with wooden floors, proper tables and chairs, hand sanitizer everywhere, table service, slightly restricted but good menu. For the winter they are building something which will enable them to remain open but as I'm unsure of the details I can't comment further. Oh, I forgot to mention their beer, Old Hookey 🥛

There are quite a few bad reports on Trip Advisor relating to food arriving cold and late but we also bumped into a real person who said the same. We moored right outside and it all sounded very lively and fun but we didn't really fancy chips with plastic forks etc.

Have only been in the pub once and did not enjoy it but many boaters really like it so will certainly give it another go in the future when the world returns to normality.

We stopped at the Folly twice last year, both times were fine. They had extensive outside areas with bar and serving food due to covid restrictions.  Talking to the owners they were trying to work out what best to do to carry on.

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

There are quite a few bad reports on Trip Advisor relating to food arriving cold and late but we also bumped into a real person who said the same. We moored right outside and it all sounded very lively and fun but we didn't really fancy chips with plastic forks etc.

Have only been in the pub once and did not enjoy it but many boaters really like it so will certainly give it another go in the future when the world returns to normality.

I have been to a couple of functions there and had good meals but its not a pub I feel comfortable in

If you come off the cut at Isis lock via sheepwash channel turn left you will almost certainly find a mooring spot just below Osney bridge before the lock. 

Technically you are meant to have a Thames registration for this bit of the River but you have to buy these from the lock so IF you opted to just stop there (very close to Oxford city centre via Botley road) then go back onto the canal it's quite likely you would not be found out. Not sure what length boat you can turn there though so if you have a long boat it could be interesting.  Locks are on public power all the time after lock keepers go home so can always travel outside of duty hours. 

EA on the Thames are terrible at enforcing registrations and although it is part of the River I really don't think a run from Sheepwash for ten minutes down to the moorings and back is going to cause any sleep loss. 

ETA worth taking a rain coat if the bridge is still leaking ! There was a persistent water main problem last time I was up there with a lot of water coming out. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, dmr said:

1) Never did think much of Trip Advisor but that's my opinion

2) Personally, I don't like food in containers with plastic cutlery either but it's covid safe and not representative of normality.

3) Several times of late I've watched the food being delivered from kitchen window to customer within seconds

4) My food was 'fast food hot which is as good as you can expect when Al Fresco dining in the UK.

Just to clarify, I've nothing to do with the pub other than being an irregular customer