One week holiday with small children

TheBigBean

Featured Posts

I was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend an itinerary and hire location for a one week holiday (Oct half-term) that is likely to entertain small children (2 and 5). We recently hired a boat in the Norfolk Broads which was a great success, but things like visiting Great Yarmouth scored more highly with the family than the nice scenery!

It would also be good if it was accessible by train from London, didn't require that many locks and had easy/safe mooring available throughout. Perhaps I'm asking too much!

Many thanks if anyone can help.

3 minutes ago, TheBigBean said:

I was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend an itinerary and hire location for a one week holiday (Oct half-term) that is likely to entertain small children (2 and 5). We recently hired a boat in the Norfolk Broads which was a great success, but things like visiting Great Yarmouth scored more highly with the family than the nice scenery!

It would also be good if it was accessible by train from London, didn't require that many locks and had easy/safe mooring available throughout. Perhaps I'm asking too much!

On balance I would say if Great Yarmouth was a hit with the kids it may difficult to replicate that on the canals if that is what you are asking.

If the kids were older things like doing the locks often provides suffice 'entertainment'. There is a different vibe on the canals from the Broads. There are some random attractions scattered throughout the system but not really clustered together in the same way as they are on the broads.

That said the canals can be a great source of entertainment if the kids are into wildlife (or can be encouraged to be).

8 minutes ago, TheBigBean said:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend a canal holiday with a 2 and 5 year old.  Dealing with locks is potentially dangeous for them.  So you're looking for somewhere with virtually no locks or manned locks.  The common forum response for few locks would be to start somewhere around Braunston/Napton and head to the top of the Ashby and back.  Trouble is there's very little along that route to entertain small children.

Another thought would be to head along the River Severn and the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal.  You're likely to have locks to get from the the canal to the river, but after that they're all manned.  Interesting stops at Gloucester, Worcester, Stourport.  The big problem, is that the Severn floods quite regularly and you'll be forced to go another way.

• Greenie 1

Bear in mind by the end of October it will be colder and darker than it is now and the towpaths will be wet and muddy, all in all not a great recipe for a family holiday with two very small children.  You could put them off for life...

Kids that are into nature and wildlife will be easily pleased, but in the spring and summer, not as everything is shutting down for the winter.

Not too many hire bases are easily accessible by rail either.  Stone on the Trent & Mersey is the only one that springs to mind that doesn't involve a taxi.  

Edited by Neil2

The 5 year old will love it, it maybe more difficult with the 2 year old. I know a few friends that used these waist  reins that arent seen so much these days, they found them reassuring and helpful. Obviously  proper life jackets are essential. 

A slow meander up the Staffs and Worcs would be my thought, its not too busy and lots to see and do.

Lifes dangerous and to an extent encountering fun that could be dangerous is an education that too many children miss out on today.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like I need to think about it a bit more.

A quick google had revealed Rugby, Stoke-on-trent or somewhere near Birmingham as possible starting places. A week itinerary from Rugby would only involve 2 locks whilst Stoke-on-trent could involve Alton Towers and some potteries and Birmingham could involve Cadbury's factory and sea world. I suppose I was hoping for some combination of that, but I guess what you are all saying is that it doesn't really exist!

We live near a canal and walk along it fairly regularly, so my 5 year old is the driving force behind the holiday as he loved the Broads and being on a boat that moves. I'm not that concerned about the 2 year old as I can always put her in my carrier to prevent her from disappearing in a lock. That's fine once or twice a day, but some of these routes have 10+ locks a day and that would really start to become a hassle.

I need to go and google all the recommended canals as I'm not that familiar with the names, but thank you all for the help and dose of reality.

25 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Not too many hire bases are easily accessible by rail either.  Stone on the Trent & Mersey is the only one that springs to mind that doesn't involve a taxi.  

Oxfordshire Narrowboats is literally across the canal from Lower Heyford station.

But on balance, perhaps a week in Great Yarmouth would be the family's best option, with a possible return to a boating holiday when the children are a little older.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Oxfordshire Narrowboats is literally across the canal from Lower Heyford station.

But on balance, perhaps a week in Great Yarmouth would be the family's best option, with a possible return to a boating holiday when the children are a little older.

Hmmm.. I'm thinking it would be useful to have a list of hire bases, & marinas that are easily accessible by rail - is it worth starting a thread on this?  

Just now, Neil2 said:

Hmmm.. I'm thinking it would be useful to have a list of hire bases, & marinas that are easily accessible by rail - is it worth starting a thread on this?  

That's a good idea. Go ahead.

I'll add another one: Fox's, a medium walk (perhaps just under a mile?) or a quick taxi ride from March station.

12 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

My choice would be hire from Alvechurch (easy access by train) and visit Birmingham and the BCN. Our 5 year old loves going to Birmingham by boat, and has done since she was a toddler. 

Plenty to entertain small children, sea life centre, legoland, science museum and plenty more. All next to or easy walking from canal. Then further on you've got Black Country Museum. You could head though Netherton tunnel and moor at a windmill end to let them run around, or carry on and stop at merryhill shopping centre with lots of kids entertainment. 

Our 5 year old likes to play guess which way to go at the many junctions on the BCN. Add in some loops to surprise them coming back out where you started! Another thing she likes to do in long tunnels is have a "tunnel rave " - some glow sticks and music and she's all set for the tunnels!

Easy trip with as much or as little boating as you want, and just turn back after half your trip. No locks heading into Birmingham, then just an easy 3 locks to hop between the old and new mainline whenever you feel like it. Our 5 year old loves locks, but gets bored after 10 or so. She's just strong enough now to push the gates on her own, sometimes with a bit of help to get them started. 

Life jackets for the kids would be essential when outside on the boat and especially locking, but hire company should provide them.

You would also avoid muddy towpaths in and around most of the BCN and it can feel surprisingly rural in places. It can be an interesting mix of urban and rural, new and old. Cruising under the elevated M5 and railway bridge on the old mainline, having just crossed the new mainline is one of my favourites!

This is quite a good option.  But worth researching safe mooring places:  https://bcnsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/BCN-Safe-Moorings-2017-12-06.pdf

The Dudley Tunnel trip is a must. And they have lots of events for children:  https://www.dudleycanaltrust.org.uk/

Edited by doratheexplorer

29 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

My choice would be hire from Alvechurch (easy access by train) and visit Birmingham and the BCN. Our 5 year old loves going to Birmingham by boat, and has done since she was a toddler. 

Plenty to entertain small children, sea life centre, legoland, science museum and plenty more. All next to or easy walking from canal. Then further on you've got Black Country Museum. You could head though Netherton tunnel and moor at a windmill end to let them run around, or carry on and stop at merryhill shopping centre with lots of kids entertainment. 

Our 5 year old likes to play guess which way to go at the many junctions on the BCN. Add in some loops to surprise them coming back out where you started! Another thing she likes to do in long tunnels is have a "tunnel rave " - some glow sticks and music and she's all set for the tunnels!

Easy trip with as much or as little boating as you want, and just turn back after half your trip. No locks heading into Birmingham, then just an easy 3 locks to hop between the old and new mainline whenever you feel like it. Our 5 year old loves locks, but gets bored after 10 or so. She's just strong enough now to push the gates on her own, sometimes with a bit of help to get them started. 

Life jackets for the kids would be essential when outside on the boat and especially locking, but hire company should provide them.

You would also avoid muddy towpaths in and around most of the BCN and it can feel surprisingly rural in places. It can be an interesting mix of urban and rural, new and old. Cruising under the elevated M5 and railway bridge on the old mainline, having just crossed the new mainline is one of my favourites!

This ^^^^

When my kids were small, they used to enjoy Birmingham, and in particular Cadbury World at Bourneville, which is on the Birmingham & Worcester Canal, as is ABC's hire company at Alvechurch.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

My three children, now in their twenties, had a week or two every summer from birth on board Fulbourne, an unconverted ex working boat, with much more basic facilities than you will find on any hire boat. As others have said life jackets are essential with little ones, and we made it a rule that life jackets went on before they went outside the accommodation in the morning and stayed on all day, unless we were going on an excursion beyond the towpath. After we gained a 3rd child we always boated with at least one additional adult, just so we could supervise them all adequately. 

Outdoors, babies were strapped in a car seat which was itself tied down, toddlers were in reins, also tied on a short enough leash so they couldn't fall over the side. They loved it!

Even got them steering on open water as they got a little older.

Daughters at 6½ and 4½:

Ouse07.JPG

Ouse06.JPG

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, TheBigBean said:

Sadly all the boats are sold out at Alvechurch for October half-term (perhaps because it is an excellent place to hire with kids!), so I might need to file that one away for another year. Thanks for the great idea though.

Try this:

https://www.anglowelsh.co.uk/locations/bases/tardebigge/

It's close to Alvechurch and zero locks away.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend a canal holiday with a 2 and 5 year old.  Dealing with locks is potentially dangeous for them.  So you're looking for somewhere with virtually no locks or manned locks. 

I would echo this advice.

We did a few canal holidays before we had kids, but when the kids came along we didn't feel a canal holiday was practical or safe while they were very young. We took them on their first canal holiday when they were 6 and 9 years old. It went really well and they loved it. I wouldn't have wanted to do it when they were much younger than that. 

• 4 weeks later...