Severn Valley railway

Lancshoppy

Featured Posts

Looking ahead a bit here, but if I'm coming from Stourport direction, and planning to visit the Seven Valley Railway for the day,  where does anyone recommend to moor, and would you stay the night in the same place or plan the day to allow time to carry on further up the canal?

Thinking about next summer.

Thanks

51 minutes ago, Lancshoppy said:

Looking ahead a bit here, but if I'm coming from Stourport direction, and planning to visit the Seven Valley Railway for the day,  where does anyone recommend to moor, and would you stay the night in the same place or plan the day to allow time to carry on further up the canal?

Thanks

Moor at Droitwich and catch a train to Kidderminster.

OK that's a bit tongue in cheek but it's likely to be quicker and safer. I might suggest mooring south of Kidderminster the night before, move up to Kidderminster on the morning and head on to Wolverley at the end of the day.

11 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I might suggest mooring south of Kidderminster the night before, move up to Kidderminster on the morning and head on to Wolverley at the end of the day.

That's exactly what I did.  Moored by Tesco during the day.  I moved on partly because it didn't feel safe and partly because it was noisy and ugly.  Wolverley is a good place to stop and the pub gets the Dora thumbs up.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Lancshoppy said:

Thanks

By coincidence I am visiting the SVR tomorrow 

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's exactly what I did.  Moored by Tesco during the day.  I moved on partly because it didn't feel safe and partly because it was noisy and ugly.  Wolverley is a good place to stop and the pub gets the Dora thumbs up.

And I’d think mooring above or below Falling Sands lock would be OK for the OP.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I was lucky enough to be cruising under there once, when the steam train went overhead 😃

Some 30 years ago I was crewing on President and as we approached the viaduct a steam train passed overhead. We whistled furiously, but the train didn't respond.☹️

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I was lucky enough to be cruising under there once, when the steam train went overhead 😃

Yes, one went over when we were going to Stourport, a double header (2 engines for the non cognescenti) which was unusual. On the way back there were a dozen  train spotters on the towpath with cameras waiting for a special engine, they said it was a gala weekend.