Etruria flight closed tonight

Rob-M

Featured Posts

Having come through today someone could do with fixing the gates on the top lock but apparently all paddles were left open on locks 37 and 38 last night.

Looking down the bottom gates of the top lock whilst we were waiting for a level

IMG_20210919_105525963_HDR.jpg.04aa191c202b0892ead0aa018c10c3ad.jpg

Notice Alert

Trent & Mersey Canal

Location: Etruria Lock Flight, Stoke on Trent, Lock 36 (Stoke bottom lock) to Lock 40 (Summit Lock)

Starts At: Lock 40 Summit Lock

Ends At: Lock 36 Stoke Bottom Lock

Sunday 19 September 2021 13:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Vandalism

Original message:

Restriction: Etruria Lock Flight in Stoke on Trent.

Navigation will be closed from 18:00 and reopened at 08:00. This is due to vandalism of lock gates and loss of water. Canal & River Trust apologies for this inconvenience . 

Edited by Rob-M

They were leaking like that two weeks ago, no one has vandalised the gates I would suspect but just run off too much water. Of course if there was a lengths-man they would have been closed...........................................

The whole flight was leaking badly, the closure is not unexpected but I would bet there is no clear case of vandals causing it. 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

They were leaking like that two weeks ago, no one has vandalised the gates I would suspect but just run off too much water. Of course if there was a lengths-man they would have been closed...........................................

The whole flight was leaking badly, the closure is not unexpected but I would bet there is no clear case of vandals causing it. 

Leaving all paddles up on two locks isn't vandalism???

Second pound down at Red Bull was very low, when we arrived a boat was grounded coming up, the weir was running though so I let some water down for them to come up. Three boats then went down but by then the pound with moored boats in was getting low.

13 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

A lockie told me in July that it was costing too much money to call someone out to replace vandalised anti vandal locks  so C&RT have decided to retire them on some locks. The ones at Trentham lock went some time ago.

I never understood why Trentham had them anyway. Stoke,yes. Maybe they could invent vandalproof vandalproof locks?

5 hours ago, Dave123 said:

They have them in B'ham still and they don't get vandalised...

Also I saw the pounds around red bull were empty again...suspected vandalism/drunks opening paddles at night. Won't help the water levels.

The ones on the Digbeth branch are no longer in use or at least they weren't in July.

9 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Second pound down at Red Bull was very low, when we arrived a boat was grounded coming up, the weir was running though so I let some water down for them to come up. Three boats then went down but by then the pound with moored boats in was getting low.

It’s been low-ish most of the way from the summit to Hassall Green today, the “summit minus 1” pound particularly so. Shows what time and water do to piling though, big holes below the normal waterline!

11 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

It’s been low-ish most of the way from the summit to Hassall Green today, the “summit minus 1” pound particularly so. Shows what time and water do to piling though, big holes below the normal waterline!

We are in Middlewich now, mostly ok down to here, just one really low pound below Rode Heath although most are a few inches down.