Extention to throttle control ?

CCR

Featured Posts

Being slightly dissabled--I have a raised platform to stand on when I operate the  tiller. This caused the problem of stretching over to operate the Forward/ reverse lever. I wonder  if anyone has overcome a similar problem please? Also--where could I purchase a 'swan neck' tiller extention please?  Thanks--Chris. 

4 hours ago, PaulJ said:

The simplest way to do this would be to use a morse control (or similar) for gear and throttle- you could position it to suit yourself then.

Im assuming this is on an outboard?

Thanks-but what is a morse control please? 

Thank you – is this something that can be wired up remotely? At the moment, I have to reach over and down to operate the controls – so really what I need is an extension on the existing arm, as there is nowhere else nearer to install such a unit. Many thanks – Chris.

38 minutes ago, CCR said:

Thank you – is this something that can be wired up remotely? At the moment, I have to reach over and down to operate the controls – so really what I need is an extension on the existing arm, as there is nowhere else nearer to install such a unit. Many thanks – Chris.

Yep- you would need cables, end fittings to suit your outboatd and possibly a bracket attached to your outboard.

Really depends on what make your outboard is. 

I assume that you already have a single lever (Morse type) control.

If this is a so-called wide beam narrowboat or a steel cruiser (like the Dutch make) then it may be possible to get a stout vertical plate fixed to where the present control is located with slots in it for securing studs and wing/finger nuts. The, possibly with longer cables you could loosen the nuts and slide it into a position to suit you and anyone else could simply side it back down.

Some genuine Morse controls have a knob on the lever that you can unscrew and then slide an extension tube over the shaft, but then you also magnify the movement that is required, so I doubt that would work for you. Plus the problem of securing the tube to the shaft so it can be easily removed. As an example, full ahead may need the lever to move close to horizontal, and then the operating end will be as low as it ever was but much further forward.

I can't really see any  way other than making it so you can move the whole control to a position to suit you.

12 minutes ago, CCR said:

Many thanks-I am looking at having an extention to the existing lever--which would increase the height and reduce the amount of reaching--Chris. 

Yes, that sounds like it would work at first sight, but put the existing control into full ahead or full astern and see where a simple extension would end up. If the extension was six inches long at full ahead, the end of the extension may well be at the same height as the present but six inches further forward. Ditto astern, but further back.

Get a cane and lay it along the face of the lever. Cut it to the length you think would suit. Then put the control in full ahead and full astern, laying the cane along the lever again. That will show where the end of the lever will be and if you could still reach it from your step. I fear a simple extension will make things worse.

Post a photo of your control and we can probably advise on how to attach an extension.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It may help if you post a photo of what you are trying to modify we have gone from outboard to wide beam. Lets see what is already there

To be fair it was probably only me that ever imagined it was an outboard.

What someone writes and what I think they write really are two different things and why I dont post alot...😀