Facebook bans scenic canal over ‘obscene’ name, dubs it ‘hate speech’

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, Heartland said:

That could also mean The Weak And Tardy or may be the Persons Really Allied To Trivia.

And may be this trend for Political Correctness is reaching a new level of ignorance. It will not be long before Thought Police become a reality. But if that happens there will be no need for the internet.

Nowt to do with PC, which is generally a term of abuse for people who want to be kind to,  or careful of, each other. The thought police have existed ever since you could be arrested for conspiracy, or possessing certain books, or looking up something perfectly legal on the internet. Students have been arrested for researching PhD topics.

Bit late to start complaining about it now.

On 19/09/2021 at 08:21, frangar said:

I’ve been banned from Facebook so many times…mainly for my anti hunt stance but currently banned for calling someone a tw*t on a canal group…apparently that’s bullying…even when it’s true…..

It can't actually be true, as it's a physical impossibility. Odd, though, that you choose to use terms referring to women's body parts as a derogatory description. Perhaps you should just grow up.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It can't actually be true, as it's a physical impossibility. Odd, though, that you choose to use terms referring to women's body parts as a derogatory description. Perhaps you should just grow up.

I think tw@t is generally considered an insult these days rather than anything else…I certainly would have been banned had I used the words I really wanted to use….anyway I guess you are considering joining the thought police judging by your post….good luck with your application….

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I think tw@t is generally considered an insult these days rather than anything else…I certainly would have been banned had I used the words I really wanted to use….anyway I guess you are considering joining the thought police judging by your post….good luck with your application….

Of course it is considered an insult. And, like most of the most insulting ones, it's derived from denigration of women. Language and how it's used is important, because it gives an insight into the way you think, what's hardbaked into your attitudes. I don't care what you think, because that affects nobody. What you say does, and of course the person it affects most is the sayer as it reinforces your own imagined superiority..

Suggesting you should be aware of something isn't policing anything, but the word is banned (which is policing  if not of the thought kind) for good reason, and who knows, someday you may have the wit and insight to work out why. And then, as Kipling said in another context, you'll be a man, my son.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Of course it is considered an insult. And, like most of the most insulting ones, it's derived from denigration of women. Language and how it's used is important, because it gives an insight into the way you think, what's hardbaked into your attitudes. I don't care what you think, because that affects nobody. What you say does, and of course the person it affects most is the sayer as it reinforces your own imagined superiority..

Suggesting you should be aware of something isn't policing anything, but the word is banned (which is policing  if not of the thought kind) for good reason, and who knows, someday you may have the wit and insight to work out why. And then, as Kipling said in another context, you'll be a man, my son.

I’m far too old and set in my ways to change my insults now….if people are offended then job done…sort of the point of an insult! 

On 20/09/2021 at 16:17, Arthur Marshall said:

Nowt to do with PC, which is generally a term of abuse for people who want to be kind to,  or careful of, each other. The thought police have existed ever since you could be arrested for conspiracy, or possessing certain books, or looking up something perfectly legal on the internet. Students have been arrested for researching PhD topics.

ooooOOOooo

Keith