Barrus Shire Alternator Belt

Featured Posts

Hi,

Believe this is a 50hp due to exhaust jacket but possibly a 45hp.

I have a single clogged V belt running 2 alternators and there are are no spares or numbers on the existing.

I can see a few threads with similar engines and wondered if anyone has a belt part number so I can order a few good gates ones?

Cheers

B0016F46-D56E-4283-811D-5414070497F8.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Davies
Add belt type

34 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

Hi,

Believe this is a 50hp due to exhaust jacket but possibly a 45hp.

I have a single clogged V belt running 2 alternators and there are are no spares or numbers on the existing.

I can see a few threads with similar engines and wondered if anyone has a belt part number so I can order a few good gates ones?

Cheers

B0016F46-D56E-4283-811D-5414070497F8.jpeg

I don't know the number, sorry.   But you need a cogged belt, not clogged!  The grip on the pulleys on that engine is marginal due to the lack of wrap, ensure that you get the correct belt section as well as length.

Take the old one to the bearing/belt shop near you? If you have to measure it to order on line the circumference is the length measured on the plain back of the belt. I would knock of 2% to allow for it being stretched and then order the nearest size.  Section is the top width of the back of the belt, yours may have worn thinner.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Take the old one to the bearing/belt shop near you?

Good advice.  They will have a widget for measuring belt length, which is not actually the outside length, but the length at the pitch line, which is a position  inside the belt.

Once you have new belts make a note of the letters and numbers on them, or ask the supplier to tell you the length and section of the belt you have then note that so you can easily buy future spares.  They will be something like SPZ 1218 or  A 1228 where the letters are the section and the numbers are the pitch length in mm.  There are equivalent imperial versions,  where the length is in 1/8 inch units, so an imperial belt with length 320 is 40 inch pitch length.

N