Drive Belts. Best supplier

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I have no idea why, but having a little difficulty locating a AVX 13x1175 V Belt. Bought many in the past, just can’t find any. Feel sure I bought the last ones from a Bearing Company.

Any suggestions? Please.

If you google that part number there are loads of suppliers, even some on ebay. Where are you located?  There are bearing service shops in every major city in the UK.

Gates make good belts but many others are good quality too.

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Any suggestions? Please.

Buy plenty, wrap them in black plastic and keep then in a cool dark place.

(The become brittle if 'rolled up' and left in daylight). Belts stored like this can be kept for 6 years.

Source : gates hydraulics.

And for the full-monty :

Below are some belt storage tips to help ensure that your equipment functions as healthily and long as possible:

1. Belts should be stored in a cool and dry environment with no direct sunlight.  Storage temperature should be below 85°F/29.5°C with a relative humidity no higher than 70%. Belt performance is reduced by 50% for every 15°F / 9.5°C above 115°F / 46°C.
  2. Do not store belts in areas exposed to:
    • Airborne chemicals
    • Heat sources
    • Direct sunlight
    • Airflow from heat sources
    • Transformers, refrigerators, motors or other sources that create ozone
  3. It is not recommended to store belts on the floor. If floor storage is required, the belts should be stored in a protective container and never exposed to foot traffic.
  4. Never twist, bend or crimp belts during storage and handling. Doing so will damage them.
  5. Do not hang belts from pegs as they will distort over time. Do not store belts under any state of tension.
  6. V-belts may be stored by hanging on a wall rack only if hung on a saddle with a diameter at least as large as the minimum diameter sheave recommended for the belt cross section. If coiling a V-belt for storage, consult the supplier for limits. It is always best to store belts flat on a shelf.
  7. Store belts in the original box. Stacking of belts on top of each other should be limited. Ensure that the belts on the bottom are not damaged by the weight of the belts on top.
Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I have no idea why, but having a little difficulty locating a AVX 13x1175 V Belt. Bought many in the past, just can’t find any. Feel sure I bought the last ones from a Bearing Company.

Any suggestions? Please.

Having àn idea of one of your cruising areas could it have been Oxford Bearings in Banbury? They do sell drive belts. Just checked, closed until Monday am. 

I’ve made a boo boo I think. Thought I had found replacement belts. Anyway they have now arrived. Correct width and length but they are not toothed, they are smooth. (Correct terminology??) Anyway, will they be okay or just keep as a spare?

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I’ve made a boo boo I think. Thought I had found replacement belts. Anyway they have now arrived. Correct width and length but they are not toothed, they are smooth. (Correct terminology??) Anyway, will they be okay or just keep as a spare?

Not good around small alternator pulleys.  "Toothed" is correct as far as I know.

Send them back and get the correct ones?

The term is "cogged".

Toothed belts are entirely different to cogged V- Belts  Toothed belts are like wot drives camshafts- regularly spaced ridges across a fairly thin but wide flat belt. The pulleys look a bit like gears with stubby rounded off teeth.

Cogged V belts have triangular bits nicked out of the inside, but otherwise look like a common or garden old car fan belt.  There are no teeth on the pulleys, just a tapering groove.

You want cogged belts if they have to go round small pulleys.

N

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not good around small alternator pulleys.  "Toothed" is correct as far as I know.

Send them back and get the correct ones?

A lot of hassle to send back, live aboard so can’t be ar*ed. £11 each! I’ll find proper ones from another seller.

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

The term is "cogged".

Toothed belts are entirely different to cogged V- Belts  Toothed belts are like wot drives camshafts- regularly spaced ridges across a fairly thin but wide flat belt. The pulleys look a bit like gears with stubby rounded off teeth.

Cogged V belts have triangular bits nicked out of the inside, but otherwise look like a common or garden old car fan belt.  There are no teeth on the pulleys, just a tapering groove.

You want cogged belts if they have to go round small pulleys.

N

Thank you. Terminology never my specialty. But bought quite a few clogged belts in my days, thought I was buying a clogged belt when I bought these. Hey ho!