Diesel around Stourbridge

tehmarks

Featured Posts

I'm currently not too far north of Stourton Junction, planning on heading up to the BCN and onwards to the Grand Union. While it's not yet a major concern, I could do with knowing what the diesel options are as they seem quite sparse — certainly if the Staffordshire & Worcestershire is anything to judge by —and I don't have the fullest of tanks as things stand. 

Any ideas?

Ah — are there no options to the south? I filled up last time at Oxley, but was hoping to head up the Stourbridge Canal instead of doing Aldersley again.

Actually, I've just this moment discovered that Sherborne Wharf sell diesel, so I'll probably motor on into Birmingham and sort it out there. Pretty sure the tank isn't that empty...🤞

12 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I'm currently not too far north of Stourton Junction, planning on heading up to the BCN and onwards to the Grand Union. While it's not yet a major concern, I could do with knowing what the diesel options are as they seem quite sparse — certainly if the Staffordshire & Worcestershire is anything to judge by —and I don't have the fullest of tanks as things stand. 

Any ideas?

Worth a run down to Horne Basin, before going through Netherton Tunnel, you wont buy it cheaper.

Hawne basin had just had a delivery on Friday (two days ago), 65p per litre. Very freindly people there. They let us stay overnight on a spare mooring for free. Water and rubbish bins available along with elsan and pumpout. Also showers and a bath! Lovely place to visit. If they have room they'll put you up for a week for free.

I don’t think there’s any real risk of not fitting through Gosty Hill Tunnel. It may be a very small bore but there are other spots that challenge it for air draught or water draught on the Dudley No 2. Plenty of large boats have made it to Hawne Basin.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

I don’t think there’s any real risk of not fitting through Gosty Hill Tunnel. If May be a very small but there are other spots that challenge it for air draught or water draught on the Dudley No 2. Plenty of large boats have made it to Hawne Basin.

Yep, we had plenty of room in the tunnel.

Don't know where you are now but there is a major stoppage above the Stourbridge locks due to a big oil leak

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20655-canal-is-closed-between-top-lock-at-delph-and-stourbridge-lock-16

Edited by ditchcrawler

10 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Yep, we had plenty of room in the tunnel.

Has anyone noticed that the change in bore size to the really small bit you encounter when heading toward Hawne basin doesn’t have an opposite equivalent in the other direction; the roof slopes relative to the canal.

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't know where you are now but there is a major stoppage above the Stourbridge locks due to a big oil leak

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20655-canal-is-closed-between-top-lock-at-delph-and-stourbridge-lock-16

Latest CRT update says Police & Fire Services involved.

The Police don't usually get involved in pollution incidents, so I suspect criminal activity such as fly tipping.

Pollution incidents are usually the province of the Environment Agency.

10 hours ago, cuthound said:

The Police don't usually get involved in pollution incidents, so I suspect criminal activity such as fly tipping.

The original said fire and police

On 20/09/2021 at 10:33, cuthound said:

Latest CRT update warns of the risk of more oil being washed into the canal from road drains. So it sounds as if the original cause was a major oil spillage on the road, which coukd well have resulted from (say) a tanker involved in a road accident.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Latest CRT update warns of the risk of more oil being washed into the canal from road drains. So it sounds as if the original cause was a major oil spillage on the road, which coukd well have resulted from (say) a tanker involved in a road accident.

Also demonstrates the important drainage role that canals play.

On 19/09/2021 at 10:08, Alway Swilby said:

Hawne basin had just had a delivery on Friday (two days ago), 65p per litre. Very freindly people there. They let us stay overnight on a spare mooring for free. Water and rubbish bins available along with elsan and pumpout. Also showers and a bath! Lovely place to visit. If they have room they'll put you up for a week for free.

Do they sell gas as well?