Leaking oil pressure connector

Stroudwater1

Featured Posts

Help Oil is leaking out of the top nut between the pipe and nut , it’s a slow drip rather than a spurt but the drips are speeding up slightly 

iIve tightened nut 1 (the top one ) on nut 2 but no change. Gradually more oil is seeping out which isn’t obviously ideal! 

Im a bit wary of these little pipes with shearing them - is there a nut that will sort this seeping? There is some PTFE type tape between nut 3and 4 but why would those be causing oil to come up from nut 1? 

the oil pressure gauge is a good 2 foot away, and is giving the same psi reading of 10. 

the pipe is coiled round several times further on. I imagine to take some of the vibrations  It’s not a wise set up it seems as there’s nothing holding it to the engine for the distance 

2E5FF72E-3FF7-487B-BA3A-F5833F794875.jpeg

Both the upper and lower "nuts" should have olives on the pipe inside them. They may have been overtightened and crushed the pipe and olive, so they will never seal. The middle section looks like a bodge to me because a single straight reducing compression union would do the job with no extra joints. I suspect the middle joint is two parallel BSP threads and unless you can get a sealing washer into the bottom of the larger one I doubt you can make a long term seal, but even that would be a bodge.

You MIGHT seal the middle section by degreasing and using a Locktite sealant for oils, basically glue the two together.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Problem solved and many thanks Tony, looking closely there’s what seems to be an external olive that pushes down onto nut 2? Either way I’ve  been bolder after 4 days of watching it ooze more with my spacers and problem solved. Should have asked before. 

needs sorting out once cruising has stopped! 

I’m not sure the pressure valve is correct actually as it only goes to 20psi. It looks more for show 

All depends on  what engine it is.  It is not a Kelvin model  J, K or L because they do not have oil pressure or gauges at all.  It does not take a lot of oil to lubricate a bearing, so high oil pressure is only need to get a good flow when it is needed to oil-cool one or more bearings, typically the mains and/or big ends.  Many old engine designs thus have 'low" oil pressure when compared with later designs and 10-15 psi may well be adequate for yours .

N