Shower Wet Room Style

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

Just now, EnglishRose said:

Yes it is sealed so thankfully the whole boat isn't a wetroom!

There you go then - you have a number of options but whatever you do I'd suggest you need to get that part of the bilge dried, cleaned up and treated with some form of rust converter/preventer.

Many of the early wet bilge boats had a very simple arrangement just a wooden shower platform on top of the baseplate, you could do that, gives you quite a lot more headroom than a shower tray as well.  

10 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

There you go then - you have a number of options but whatever you do I'd suggest you need to get that part of the bilge dried, cleaned up and treated with some form of rust converter/preventer.

Yes, it's now dry thankfully so we need to clean it up and treat it.

11 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Many of the early wet bilge boats had a very simple arrangement just a wooden shower platform on top of the baseplate, you could do that, gives you quite a lot more headroom than a shower tray as well.  

And that's pretty much what we have already. A stand on top of the baseplate but even if we treat it with some sort of rust converter/preventer we are still going to have water in this area as the bilge doesn't get rid of all of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I think we have decided to build a frame/floor and then put a shower tray on top of it, with space under it for the waste and fit gulper which we can house in the wardrobe.

As our space is limited (1000*700) the tray would take up the whole space so in essence the floor is then the shower tray with the porta-potti in the tray. Will this be ok? Is there a particular tray we should look at?

4 hours ago, EnglishRose said:

Ok so I think we have decided to build a frame/floor and then put a shower tray on top of it, with space under it for the waste and fit gulper which we can house in the wardrobe.

As our space is limited (1000*700) the tray would take up the whole space so in essence the floor is then the shower tray with the porta-potti in the tray. Will this be ok? Is there a particular tray we should look at?

A 100cm by 70cm one?  Be sure to put the waste at the back, lowest point else you will have to paddle as you pee!  How about a slatted wooden insert on one end of the tray to sit the potti on out of the water?

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A 100cm by 70cm one?  Be sure to put the waste at the back, lowest point else you will have to paddle as you pee!  How about a slatted wooden insert on one end of the tray to sit the potti on out of the water?

Yes that's right. I guess we need to look for a try that has the waste opposite end to the toilet. Yes we could use duckboard or similar over the tray. We just have a couple of issues we need to consider.

- Height

- If we built a frame/floor to put the tray how to access underneath this in case of leaks

24 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Yes that's right. I guess we need to look for a try that has the waste opposite end to the toilet. Yes we could use duckboard or similar over the tray. We just have a couple of issues we need to consider.

- Height

- If we built a frame/floor to put the tray how to access underneath this in case of leaks

Don't grow leeks under the tray.

Short answer, you don't.

Once it is well fitted and sealed you "assume" it will stay that way as long as you keep the boat. Fit the waste to the tray, the hose on the waste ( one of those  small elbow ones with a 3/4"  hose barb on ) and drop it into the floor, hoping there is not a batten in the way.  Have twice the length of hose from the tray to the pump as you have from the pump to the skin fitting overboard so that any runback does not come into the tray.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Don't grow leeks under the tray.

Short answer, you don't.

Once it is well fitted and sealed you "assume" it will stay that way as long as you keep the boat. Fit the waste to the tray, the hose on the waste ( one of those  small elbow ones with a 3/4"  hose barb on ) and drop it into the floor, hoping there is not a batten in the way.  Have twice the length of hose from the tray to the pump as you have from the pump to the skin fitting overboard so that any runback does not come into the tray.

using 2 stainless jubilee clips on each hose barb joint with the clips on opposite sides.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for that it is helpful.

Another question, we are taking off the cheap nasty cladding, which is needed so we can access pipework etc and we are thinking of fitting a folding sink such as this https://www.thecampervanshop.com/shop/cleo-tip-up-sink-basin/ as this will give us a bit more room and then different cladding. I guess the porta-potti can't be made more space saving. I've seen some motorhome layouts that have the same space that would work well but it would be expensive and not exactly what we need (can't have side cassette toilet) https://www.evomotiondesign.co.uk/product/shower-toilet-cubicle-a/

The only other question I have is the tray which will cover the whole floor. Should I be looking for a tray with deep sides, a standard stone resin one around 40mm deep or one that's more wet room style and flat. I know any wet room cladding will need to fit on top of the tray and everything sealed.

13 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Thanks for that it is helpful.

Another question, we are taking off the cheap nasty cladding, which is needed so we can access pipework etc and we are thinking of fitting a folding sink such as this https://www.thecampervanshop.com/shop/cleo-tip-up-sink-basin/ as this will give us a bit more room and then different cladding. I guess the porta-potti can't be made more space saving. I've seen some motorhome layouts that have the same space that would work well but it would be expensive and not exactly what we need (can't have side cassette toilet) https://www.evomotiondesign.co.uk/product/shower-toilet-cubicle-a/

The only other question I have is the tray which will cover the whole floor. Should I be looking for a tray with deep sides, a standard stone resin one around 40mm deep or one that's more wet room style and flat. I know any wet room cladding will need to fit on top of the tray and everything sealed.

I am presuming that you will have a shower curtain of some sort so not too shallow a tray else its tricky keeping it inside.

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am presuming that you will have a shower curtain of some sort so not too shallow a tray else its tricky keeping it inside.

We never had one before as the shower head just comes from the sink tap so we just lifted it out and showered - no curtain and just wiped the floor after (obviously all our water was going through onto the sealed section of our baseplate). As the whole area will be inside the tray and your arm would be poking out of the curtain holding the tap/shower head it would be pointless having a curtain.