Moorings for a month or two around Cookham any ideas?

Diane Taylor

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Diane Taylor said:

I'm new to boating and about to buy a 55ft narrowboat.  I am looking for mooring for a month or 3 if anyone can advise me I'd be grateful.  I was told there are winter mooring in Cookham for about 140 pounds a month, is this true?

Highly unlikely on the Thames! But I don't actually know. 

More likely to be £140 per metre per month, I'd suggest. 

1 hour ago, Diane Taylor said:

I'm new to boating and about to buy a 55ft narrowboat.  I am looking for mooring for a month or 3 if anyone can advise me I'd be grateful.  I was told there are winter mooring in Cookham for about 140 pounds a month, is this true?

The big problem with mooring on the Thames is the potential for flooding. In a bad year it could be flood for three months ... somewhere like Marsh Meadow the risk is that your boat could float onto the bank and when the water drops either be stranded or tip over and sink. The only totally safe Thames option over the winter is a mooring on a rising pontoon, with marinas (generally away from the main flow) being the safest of all.   

About 17 years ago I was offered a very cheap winter mooring just outside the cookham yacht club by the bloke who ran the place. I didn't take him up on the offer as I was warned it can flood quite badly and there were no risers or any other measures to prevent the boat being swept over the river bank in a flood, apart from a few trees 

What you need on a river in winter is a SAFE mooring.

Because of the flooding risk, I would suggest that you need to look at marinas, but there is no chance of £1490 per week I would have thought. Then tit is perfectly possible the smaller ones like Hambledon Mill or Bourne End may not accept narrowboats. I am not sure about Bray marina but know Thames  and Kennet at Reading have a narrowboat section. There are/were piled island moorings at Maidenhead, but I don't have a clue who owns them. Possibly Bray boats.

Cookham my not be too bad for flooding because as a rule of thumb the closer you are to a weir downstream of you the less flood water rises. Being just below Boulter's weir Maidenhead is bad for this.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

If it's more expensive than that I think I'll look into opening a marina! 🙂

Swerving off at a tangent, marina finances always strike me as barely viable when I do the 'back of envelope' calcs. 

100 boats in a marina, each paying say £3k a year is a trivial income for a business requiring several £m in capital, and probably at least half the income gets spent on overheads leaving naff-all profit for the effort.

Thames marinas are a bit different as the sums are larger, but the ratios are probably similar. 

Hi there again,  so it was my error and I've been told that its  £149. (I still don't know if its per metre / month).  Anyway does anyone have any knowledge of Spade Oak moorings and if this could be an option?  I've just put in an offer on a boat so will hopefully be joining this amazing community soon.  I've got to get a safe mooring within the next month.

8 minutes ago, Diane Taylor said:

Hi there again,  so it was my error and I've been told that its  £149. (I still don't know if its per metre / month).  Anyway does anyone have any knowledge of Spade Oak moorings and if this could be an option?  I've just put in an offer on a boat so will hopefully be joining this amazing community soon.  I've got to get a safe mooring within the next month.

They are further away from the weir than Cookham, so any flooding is likely to be higher than at Cookham. I thought the moorings at Spadeoak were paid for temporary ones, not permanent or semi-permanent.

Don't take my reply as gospel because the Thames mooring situation has radically altered in the last few years with ever-increasing numbers of liveaboards who have no intention of paying for moorings. This and the EA using dodgy car parking companies to enforce the mooring restrictions basically stopped me bringing my boat onto the Thames for the last 5 or 6 years so I don't know the latest situation.