Gilbert Brothers - boat builders?

Neil2

Featured Posts

I know the Gilberts and Charity Dock are part of canal folklore, but I wasn't aware they actually built complete boats, I thought they were just in the repairs business.

But I came across a boat recently that is described as built by Gilbert Brothers of Coventry in 1980.  I'm curious as to whether the boat could have been built at Charity Dock or if it was the product of another builder and maybe just fitted out by the brothers.  

5 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I know the Gilberts and Charity Dock are part of canal folklore, but I wasn't aware they actually built complete boats, I thought they were just in the repairs business.

But I came across a boat recently that is described as built by Gilbert Brothers of Coventry in 1980.  I'm curious as to whether the boat could have been built at Charity Dock or if it was the product of another builder and maybe just fitted out by the brothers.  

It was built entirely by them, and featured in Waterways World at the time. I think it may have been the only new steel hull they have ever built though. 

4 hours ago, John Brightley said:

It was built entirely by them, and featured in Waterways World at the time. I think it may have been the only new steel hull they have ever built though. 

That boat wasn't built by the Gilberts, according to this thread  

The boat I saw is a 47 foot all steel boat called "Jenny Wren".  Quite an odd thing with a BMC 1.5 in its own engine room, and no shower!  But it does have classic lines and clearly was built by someone who knew what they were doing. 

Boats for sale UK, boats for sale, used boat sales, Narrow Boats For Sale 47ft Trad Stern Narrowboat - Apollo Duck 

30 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That boat wasn't built by the Gilberts, according to this thread  

The boat I saw is a 47 foot all steel boat called "Jenny Wren".  Quite an odd thing with a BMC 1.5 in its own engine room, and no shower!  But it does have classic lines and clearly was built by someone who knew what they were doing. 

Boats for sale UK, boats for sale, used boat sales, Narrow Boats For Sale 47ft Trad Stern Narrowboat - Apollo Duck 

The boat I was referring to was Jenny Wren.

54 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

The boat I was referring to was Jenny Wren.

Sorry, I made the assumption because your comment came directly under the post about the "Joe Gilbert".

I found some more pictures of Jenny Wren on the move and she really does have lovely lines, do you have any more info or do you know anyone who might? 

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

do you have any more info or do you know anyone who might? 

Here's a photo of her, taken at Hawkesbury in 1981 when she was nearly new. There will be more information in the Waterways World article - I'll have a look for it when I get the chance.

But the most obvious person to ask about it would be Pete Gilbert !

350486238_001362crop.jpg.3ac6df1311bcb4623321f51d9593d7a1.jpg

14 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Here's a photo of her, taken at Hawkesbury in 1981 when she was nearly new. There will be more information in the Waterways World article - I'll have a look for it when I get the chance.

But the most obvious person to ask about it would be Pete Gilbert !

350486238_001362crop.jpg.3ac6df1311bcb4623321f51d9593d7a1.jpg

How interesting - but a bit frustrating as I can't quite make out the legend on the cabin side though it looks like "A R" something and "Bulwell Nottingham".

I see it did have a stove in the back cabin which has since been removed, and I can't see a chimney where the stove is now, up front.

I'd ask Pete Gilbert but I can't find any contact details and I'm a long way from Bedworth!

I think @Laurence Hogg might have more information.?

33 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Sadly Laurence is no longer here to tell us.

It must be about three years since his passing.

I remember enjoying e-conversations with him after discovering that he had worked in the reggae music industry in the 1970s. He's a man whom I'd hoped to meet one day.

1 hour ago, John Brightley said:

I've found the article in Waterways World September 1979:

20210918_221411.jpg.ab1c5e1c0b5692be69c8d98c524667ff.jpg

Most interesting!  

The original owner obviously didn't have the boat very long as the cabin legend is different to that in your colour photo.  No windows either in the original boat.

Thanks for taking the trouble to find this.

• 4 months later...