Stove Surround and Placement concerns

Woodfern

Featured Posts

I wanted to replace my stove surround, which is steel, with tiles. Having looked into it on here and elsewhere I now also have some safety concerns

The surround is just a sheet of metal glued to the t&g with no fire/heat resistant material. The stove is at a 45 degree angle with its top back corners about 1-2cm from the steel. There is also some dark discolouration on the gunwale above

1. Is this safe?
  2. If I were to add fire resistant board to make it safe, would I need to move the stove and flue to make room?
  3. If I were to replace the steel with porcelain tiles (with or without fire resistant board) would I need to move the stove to create sufficient air gap at the corners and prevent the tiles from simply cracking?

910257778_LHScorner.jpg.9d88374083543aeccc491b12c1f2b267.jpg

845767759_RHScorner.jpg.370b5f44da8951bd2ce84a3f690f7ddf.jpg

Metal.jpg.21cd39e8cc1f0eb44f37c441c2e11758.jpg

1647065554_Behindmetal.jpg.e1f1427694ad7363db1c168d1b530840.jpg

Gunwale.jpg.1327c08afe574a9ef1cda2ef48773165.jpg

1 hour ago, Woodfern said:

Is this safe?

No.

If I were to add fire resistant board to make it safe, would I need to move the stove and flue to make room?

Yes.

If I were to replace the steel with porcelain tiles (with or without fire resistant board) would I need to move the stove to create sufficient air gap at the corners and prevent the tiles from simply cracking?

Yes to fire resistant board. No to tiles straight on to wood. Yes to air gaps between the fire board and woodwork.

Rebuild based on this http://www.soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf

This summarises the standard for boat installs. You'll see arguments for single skin fles, which are OK with an appropriate air gap to the woodwork.

Don't use the stove till this is fixed. You alreasy have signs of scorching. For a scary read see https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c7039e5274a428d000081/LindyLouSynopsis.pdf

That is a one page summary. The full report with pictures is sobering.

Jen

Thanks all. It didn't seem right so thank you for confirming this needs rectifying ASAP. Have contacted a professional to move the stove and flue and will then build a proper surround before using it. May get this professionally done also, I will see

How on earth they got away with this installation, and why the surveyor and multiple BSS inspectors didn't pick up on it, is lost on me