Ashton and huddersfield Canals

beardshave

Featured Posts

Well we made it. Thanks to Susan and Nigel at Shire Cruisers and the CRT team we competed the trip arriving a tad late back at Sowerby bridge on Sat morn. Despite losing a day and a bit out of our schedule due to stoppages and other inconveniences we left Brighouse 7 am and made it home. I'm afraid many of the recommended pubs were missed either because of the delays or because we were too knackered to bother. We suffered a few bloody awful pubs which I'm too polite to mention. Huddersfield canals and Stanedge all great experiences and also enjoyed C and H. The boat loved some deep water. Well any water really. 

A trip to remember.

Thanks everyone.

Mike

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, beardshave said:

Well we made it. Thanks to Susan and Nigel at Shire Cruisers and the CRT team we competed the trip arriving a tad late back at Sowerby bridge on Sat morn. Despite losing a day and a bit out of our schedule due to stoppages and other inconveniences we left Brighouse 7 am and made it home. I'm afraid many of the recommended pubs were missed either because of the delays or because we were too knackered to bother. We suffered a few bloody awful pubs which I'm too polite to mention. Huddersfield canals and Stanedge all great experiences and also enjoyed C and H. The boat loved some deep water. Well any water really. 

A trip to remember.

Thanks everyone.

Mike

Glad you made it.  Nigel and Susan would go the extra mile to help.  However, as I've visited, commented on and scored most of the pubs on your route in my 'Pub Cruise' series of posts on these forums, I would be interested if you could overcome your politeness and name the 'bloody awful pubs' to compare them with my opinion (admittedly from a different time).

17 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Glad you made it.  Nigel and Susan would go the extra mile to help.  However, as I've visited, commented on and scored most of the pubs on your route in my 'Pub Cruise' series of posts on these forums, I would be interested if you could overcome your politeness and name the 'bloody awful pubs' to compare them with my opinion (admittedly from a different time).

Indeed, pubs change all the time now as new managers/tenants come and go, so updated views are always welcome.

Even with stoppages and delays -- par for the course, though not usually as bad as the OPs -- the HNC is still a lovely canal. Assuming you like locks and long tunnels, obviously... 😉

18 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

yes it’d be good to hear which ones were awful, they’re most likely the ones I like.