Operating a tug

Sir Percy

Featured Posts

On 14/09/2021 at 19:04, David Mack said:

If you are doing it for pleasure (I.e. no money changes hands) then an ordinary CRT leisure licence will cover you. Likewise for insurance, but check it doesn't bar towing.

If this is a business then you need a CRT Business Licence and commercial insurance. 

Don't forget if you are operating any boat other than for private pleasure you need either an MCA Boatmaster licence (with a tug endorsement if towing),  or an approved licence such as the RYA Helmsman's certificate if the vessel is less than 23 metres in length.  There are some exceptions but I don't think any would apply here.

regards

David L

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, fanshaft said:

Don't forget if you are operating any boat other than for private pleasure you need either an MCA Boatmaster licence (with a tug endorsement if towing),  or an approved licence such as the RYA Helmsman's certificate if the vessel is less than 23 metres in length.  There are some exceptions but I don't think any would apply here.

regards

David L

Interesting, I wonder what the trading boat owners have with motor and butty, I can only think of about 3 but there must be more

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Interesting, I wonder what the trading boat owners have with motor and butty, I can only think of about 3 but there must be more

I think it varies.  I know several narrow boat operators who have the full BML and if the licence has been applied for on the basis of operating a pair then that is fine.  Others have the RYA, CBA or similar qualification.  Trading boats where the principal use of the boat is for stationary activities  rather than navigation , certain horse drawn boats operations, and demonstrations don't need a licence - it's all in the MCA documentation (MSN 1853).

regards

DL

On 17/09/2021 at 15:14, fanshaft said:

regards

David L

Thank you