Taking her up the Thames!

CanalPirate

Featured Posts

I've just bought a 58ft narrowboat from Pyrford Marina and want to take her straight up the Thames on to the K&A(I live in Reading) besides the river Trial I took her on, I've got no real Boat experience, any tips/tricks for me to keep in mind on old father Thames? And a real longshot but any experienced boaters heading up the Thames on the weekend of 2nd October? I'm going to France in the meantime so will pay with Wine for anyone willing to take me under their wing!  

Edited by CanalPirate

There will be other advice along shortly I would guess, but since the section you are going on isn't tidal the only obvious advice I'd give would be keep away from the weirs and don't go if the river level boards are anything other than green (not in flood or even thinking about going into flood). Other than that it is a big enough river to accommodate many errors and the plastic boats will keep out of your way;). Curiously one of my earlier narrowboat holidays was round London on the Regents Canal and then out at Limehouse up to Brentford on the tidal bit, it was only when I got my own boat that I really thought about the perils of it:huh:

Thanks wanderer, I've fished the Thames in my youth and it just scares me as a river! I think I'll be alright, I just don't want to go into it all cocky when there are so many experienced boaters out there! It's exactly as you said, now it's my boat the perils are so much more obvious! Cheers for replying and hope I see you on the cut

16 minutes ago, CanalPirate said:

I just don't want to go into it all cocky when there are so many experienced boaters out there!

Stay within your own safety limits.

Keep an open mind, don't take risks but learn from your daily experiences.

Don't be overly in awe of the "so many experienced boaters out there" 

Sadly experienced people aren't guaranteed to be devoid of stupidity. 

1 hour ago, CanalPirate said:

I've just bought a 58ft narrowboat from Pyrford Marina and want to take her straight up the Thames on to the K&A(I live in Reading) besides the river Trial I took her on, I've got no real Boat experience, any tips/tricks for me to keep in mind on old father Thames? And a real longshot but any experienced boaters heading up the Thames on the weekend of 2nd October? I'm going to France in the meantime so will pay with Wine for anyone willing to take me under their wing!  

Um.... which wine, exactly? 

4 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

... since the section you are going on isn't tidal the only obvious advice I'd give would be keep away from the weirs and don't go if the river level boards are anything other than green (not in flood or even thinking about going into flood). Other than that it is a big enough river to accommodate many errors and the plastic boats will keep out of your way;)

It's going to be quite difficult for plastic boats to keep out of your way when sharing Thames locks so make sure you at least have a bow and stern fender. They'll usually put theirs out but you never know. It's not a contact sport so do everything slowly. Also you should be carrying a suitable anchor and length of chain/rope, whether that is bought or just borrowed for the trip. And make sure it's ready to be deployed. It's a bit like insurance, you probably won't need it but better to have it and not need it than the other way around. Lastly, find moorings early in the afternoon rather than risk boating at dusk or after dark with a lack of experience.

Edited by blackrose

As the regs require you to us a bow and stern line in locks and in October some will be unmanned, make sure your bow and stern lines are long enough and ideally get someone else aboard to help you. Otherwise, as long as you follow the no moving on yellow or red boards advice (check the EA Thames website) it there is little to worry bout going up stream.

Always moor facing upstream and it's vital that when in the river itself you get the upstream, so front, rope off and semi-secure first. The stronger the flow the more vital this is.

Many narrowboats have undersized skin tanks and when owners got on a large river with faster GRP boats they tend to run far faster than on canals and get overheating, so keep an eye open for this. If it happens, slow down and run the hot domestic water off (assuming a calorifer and not a gas water heater).

Expect to pat around £10 average a night for mooring  unless you can get on one of the EA 24 hour mooring sites or one owned by a council and               they do not charge.

I hope that your Reading/K&A mooring is organised because if you think you can just tie up to the bank it may not end well.

For years, I helped send hundreds of novices out onto the Thames in hire boats and the only time there was an accident was when people moved on the red boards, keep a sensible non-alcoholic head on and you will be fine.

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I hope that your Reading/K&A mooring is organised because if you think you can just tie up to the bank it may not end well.

Repeated for added emphasis.

TBH provided you don't cruise when the river is above the safe level it's actually easier to pilot a narrowboat on the Thames than on many canals, because you have lots of room.  But as others have said, you do need to take a few precautions compared to canals. 

I always wear a life jacket on rivers, not because I can't swim, but because I once had to rescue a guy from the river Bure who had fallen in and, though he could swim, would have drowned if I hadn't been in the right place at the right time.  

There's quite a few locks to do, it would help if you could do them when they are manned.  You have to turn the engine off in locks on the Thames and hold the boat with ropes, this can be awkward for a single hander but the lockies are usually pretty helpful and I have seen them allow boats just held on the centre line.  If your boat has dollies at the stern for the mooring lines make sure the rope is secured tight ie not just held on by the loop, if that makes sense.  If there are grp boats around when you get to a lock assume they will let you, and any other steel boats, go in first.   

I would have thought that trip is a long two days, doable in the summer but as the days are getting shorter I'd suggest you need three days to avoid having to push it.  

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Repeated for added emphasis.

I haven't got Moorings... I was hoping to just pull up for a few days, sling my stuff from the flat on to the boat then back on the Thames and up to Oxford and the rest of the network!

Thanks for all your tips everyone, much appreciated!

Coincidentally I bought my first narrow boat from Pyrford in 1993. The bloke selling it said "take things slowly". Such good advice that was. 

I still do take things slowly and tend to enter locks in neutral and just glide in. Much less trouble like that. 

The short bit of the river Wey will help you get used to the boat. 

It'll be fine, just take it slow around locks and never be in a rush to do anything. 

ETA the River is nice and slow at the moment. I would suggest 3 days not two for Shepperton to Reading. 

Edited by magnetman

The Thames is lovely and unless its flowing fast after heavy rain is really quite safe. Locks are fine but handling the ropes at both ends could be tricky as all your locks will be uphill,  Have not had to manage a long boat in big locks alone for a while, where I do my boating I just tie the front end, shove it in gear with the rudder hard over and give it a few revs but The Thames lock keepers will not like that. Others will no doubt advise.

I've noticed having been up and down the River all summer that a lot of the lock keepers seem to be ok with narrow boats using centre and stern lines. 

Worth being aware that the byelaws -require- bow and stern lines and also that you must follow the instructions of the keeper if reasonable. So there is zero validity in getting into a conflict with the keeper about which lines to use. 

I've done the length of the Thames up and down single handed in my 55ft narrow boat, 71.5ft narrow boat and 58ftx12ft barge never had any problems. Bow and stern lines aevery time.

Going up I would tie off the bow line and control the boat with the stern line and periodically secure stern line then go and tighten bow line. 

The bollards differ. Lightermans hitch for the ones with no pins or just a locking hitch for the ones with pins. 

I always manage boat from the lockside and refuse all offers of assistance as it's easier like that.

Quite a lot of activity but it seems to work ok for me. 

Lately I am boating on a 32ft craft so ropes easier to deal with but if you do it right a long narrow boat is not going to be a problem. 

Edited by magnetman

Lots of good advice, but every single-hander faces one problem when going up in some of the deep locks - how do you get off the boat and onto the lock side to make your lines fast if the lockie is not on duty?  On my small cruiser I often moor on the lock landing, set the lock and then bow-haul the boat in.  In some locks the way is blocked by infrastructure but I usually manage. 

The solution is to carefully plan every move before entering the lock.

24 minutes ago, CanalPirate said:

I haven't got Moorings... I was hoping to just pull up for a few days, sling my stuff from the flat on to the boat then back on the Thames and up to Oxford and the rest of the network!

Thanks for all your tips everyone, much appreciated!

I would talk to Caversham Boat Services. They have  always found me a temporary mooring behind their island and as long as you stay clear of their turnround days will probably allow you to move your boat to their "turn round" moorings on the Reading bank opposite their base for loading purposes.

I think the Council will want money off you for mooring on Christchurch Meadows or by the Prison. All the Thames Promenade above Caversham brdge was full of no mooring signs.

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Lots of good advice, but every single-hander faces one problem when going up in some of the deep locks - how do you get off the boat and onto the lock side to make your lines fast if the lockie is not on duty?  On my small cruiser I often moor on the lock landing, set the lock and then bow-haul the boat in.  In some locks the way is blocked by infrastructure but I usually manage. 

The solution is to carefully plan every move before entering the lock.

I have always found it fairly easy to stop the boat with the cockpit close to one set of steps and had a bow line long enough to pick up from the roof at the stern end, step off o to the steps and walk to the lock side carrying both ropes - hence my saying make sure the lines are long enough - and flick he lines over the bollards. You may have to stop the engine before you step off so you can stay on the lock side to control the ropes.

When you eventually get to Sandford and I think Hambledon put a full turn around the bollard, make sure the turn does not lock, because those locks fill at the sides and can push the boat away from the side with a fair bit of force.

I haven't read the whole of this thread - to which there has been the usual conflicting array of different opinions...

There was a 60 foot ish boat on the Pyrford sales site recently whose name was uncomfortably near the name of mine (my user ID gives a clue) if it's similar that jolly bad form, doncha know....

We spent the first 5 years of our cruising life on the Wey and to my mind it has more challenges than the Thames (heavy locks, acouple od side weirs, very low bridges and folks who shout 'slow down'..

Your first challenge on the Thames is the entrance from the Wey - the weir stream downstream of Shepperton Lock tend to push you toowards the bank AND there's an eddy from a bomb crater mid stream that can push you around as well - just be aware - don't panic. Make a wide loop to pick up Shepperton Lock's mooring. I use the lock island side side  - as the control gear is on that side and the lockie is more inclined to help you with lines if he doesn't have to walk far.

You should / must have lines at both ends of the boat. The Thames doesn't like centre lines only. It's a safety issue (not being b-minded) and the lockie's on a fizzer if something happens while you're under his / her control.

Apart from being wider than a canal or the Wey is that the stream moves and that can push you around if you're in the wrong place. Otherwise it's probably the best cruising you'll find in the South. As you go above Oxford it's even more pleasant, though somewhat rural and you'll wonder why you would ever want to go on the canals....

edit: If you're going to use the River for more than just a transit, get a copy of The River Thames Book by Chris Cove-Smith. There are several for sale on Ebay at the moment. It's full of detail and good maps - even though it's a bit dated.

Edited by OldGoat