AC Panel Neons

Old Son

Featured Posts

1884340968_WiringforNeon.jpg.f8979d7e5b17cd21046fc17e09ba7983.jpg56931610_ACPanel1.jpg.1ab3ad04c506a90f4268efcee9fb89ee.jpgNeon.jpg.ecd6a24172c6a29f6b4ce761b24e66be.jpg

I have three lights on my AC panel, one shows power on and the other two need to be lit to show correct polarity.

One of the lights have failed and I would like to replace it. The neon has a resister built in and I cant see what colour bands it has on it. Also, are these neon's fit all or do I need a specific size to fit into my existing red enclosures mounted in the panel?

AC Panel.jpg

They all fit in a 1/4 inch hole, don't worry about the resistor it's part of the lamp 

Cable colour indicates voltage 

Red =230v 

Available here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-240v-NEON-Indicator-panel-mount-choose-colour-NEOx240-/183610656221?

If you use led ones they will give false indication if there is more than a volt on the earth which is often in marinas

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Old Son said:

I have three lights on my AC panel, one shows power on and the other two need to be lit to show correct polarity.

One of the lights have failed and I would like to replace it.

Is it possible that the polarity is now incorrect, rather than the neon being knackered?

Hi Jen, I get the same result when I am on Inverter and on two different shore connections.

Can I ask one last question on this subject? The two lights at the bottom show the polarity is correct. The light on the right actually flashes most of the time. It has done since I've owned the boat, some 11 years and the vast majority of that time the boat is connected to shore power.  Could this be a fault with the neon? I have checked the connections and they are tight.

1 minute ago, Old Son said:

Hi Jen, I get the same result when I am on Inverter and on two different shore connections.

Can I ask one last question on this subject? The two lights at the bottom show the polarity is correct. The light on the right actually flashes most of the time. It has done since I've owned the boat, some 11 years and the vast majority of that time the boat is connected to shore power.  Could this be a fault with the neon? I have checked the connections and they are tight.

yes, its how they fail.

3 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Further, if that is a neon lamp (and it looks like it) how is it polarity sensitive?

I wondered what the power applied one was for too.

The polarity sensing is by 2 neons, wired line to neutral and line to earth so that the polarity is correct when both lit.

I don't like the idea as it puts several milliamps onto the earth wire, not the best idea with a boat in water!

Mine are on the mains input and are wired with an orange one L-N and a red one N-E so only one lit under normal circumstances and when the red one is on its bad.

There is also a second orange one post Inverter/charger to show there is power there when not on shore line.

All the distribution I have built for industry over the years uses orange for power on and red for failure/danger.

There is probably a standard about it somewhere. 

Edited by Loddon