DIY Photovoltaic (Solar) MPPT controller

George and Dragon

Featured Posts

I'm not qualified to say whether this is anything more than an interesting diversion for people who already have or are considering getting PV panels. At present I'm just looking but if it works and is reliable it could be a major saving.

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-1kW-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller/

• Greenie 1

On 12/09/2021 at 14:52, George and Dragon said:

I'm not qualified to say whether this is anything more than an interesting diversion for people who already have or are considering getting PV panels. At present I'm just looking but if it works and is reliable it could be a major saving.

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-1kW-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller/

An interesting read. As it says, a lot of what you are paying for in a commercial MPPT controller is the development engineering time and prototypes that end up on the scrap pile. This is the writers sixth version. I wonder if that is enough for a reliable end result?

A lot of the rest of the money is in EMC testing, RoHS proving and all the other "stuff" needed for a CE marking.  Unless you can guarantee to sell millions they have to be paid off from early production batches.

I can think of several handy electronic devices that disappeared from the market when the new rules arrived.  I also think it was behind Gibbos decision to sell Smartgauge to Merlin.

N

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Plus having to get a UKCA marking to sell in the UK from 2023. I wonder how many won't bother selling stuff here as the extra hassle isn't worth it. Especially once the requirements start to diverge from CE.

My quick reading of your link suggests that from 2023 you cannot sell a CE marked item in the UK mainland, nor can you sell a UKCA marked item in the EU. So it would seem that manufacturers and importers of goods sold both here and in the EU will have to provide separate batches of product for the UK and EU markets each carrying solely the relevant approval, rather than the much simpler option of having goods complying with both sets of standards and carrying both authorisations. Add in the intermediate status of NI, and it looks like a complete dogs breakfast. The end result will impact badly on consumer choice in the UK and add an additional layer of bureaucracy and cost for UK manufacturers exporting to the EU.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

My quick reading of your link suggests that from 2023 you cannot sell a CE marked item in the UK mainland, nor can you sell a UKCA marked item in the EU. So it would seem that manufacturers and importers of goods sold both here and in the EU will have to provide separate batches of product for the UK and EU markets each carrying solely the relevant approval, rather than the much simpler option of having goods complying with both sets of standards and carrying both authorisations. Add in the intermediate status of NI, and it looks like a complete dogs breakfast. The end result will impact badly on consumer choice in the UK and add an additional layer of bureaucracy and cost for UK manufacturers exporting to the EU.

I didn't read it like that. To me it looked like "as well as", rather than "instead of" CE and other markings.

In particular,

A product may have additional markings and marks, as long as they:

• fulfil a different function from that of the UKCA marking
  • are not likely to cause confusion with the UKCA marking
  • do not reduce the legibility and visibility of the UKCA marking

Which I'd say lets you have both a UKCA and CE mark. If it is worth it, particularly for products where the mark is built in to a plastic moulding, or where space is limited, is going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some places can get away with setting their own rules, if they are big enough. The state of California would be a major economy in its own right if it were a country and seems to be able to pull off its own rules. I'm not convinced Britain still is.

Nicely off topic now!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies