Change of ownership.

Caffeine

Featured Posts

Probably a question asked on numerous occasions. But having just bought our first narrow boat, we'd like to know how we go about / what forms to fill in for a change of ownership into our name. We've looked around and can only seem to find that boats on EA waterways appear to do this. Ours will be used predominantly on CRT ones if this makes any difference. Could someone kindly clarify what indeed we actually need to do or fill out to get our boat registered in our names please.

All the best.

4 minutes ago, Caffeine said:

Probably a question asked on numerous occasions. But having just bought our first narrow boat, we'd like to know how we go about / what forms to fill in for a change of ownership into our name. We've looked around and can only seem to find that boats on EA waterways appear to do this. Ours will be used predominantly on CRT ones if this makes any difference. Could someone kindly clarify what indeed we actually need to do or fill out to get our boat registered in our names please.

All the best.

You need to contact CRT and licence it, to do this you will need insurance, I assume the boat has a valid BSS. If the boat has already been licenced by CRT it should have a registration number and CRT will have details of the BSS

Thanks for the reply Brian.

Yes it does have a valid BSS, and has a reg / index number registered with the environment authority, but possibly not with CRT. Is there a way i can find out if it has a CRT registration or am i just being dumb in thinking it may not have?

To get your first CRT licence you need to fill in the paper form. Subsequent renewals can be done online. The form can be found at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/useful-downloads-application-forms-and-licence-fees.

If you are not sure whether the boat has a CRT index number you are probably best ringing the licencing folk. In my experience they are very helpful.

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

You need a Bill of Sale, available in a simple and easy to use download from BMF website. 

How you licence or use your boat is up to you.

Why does she need a Bill of sale? I never had to prove I owned my boat

It is possible I believe to transfer an EA licence, so your boat MAY be licenced for EA waters still.

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

To get your first CRT licence you need to fill in the paper form. Subsequent renewals can be done online. The form can be found at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/useful-downloads-application-forms-and-licence-fees.

If you are not sure whether the boat has a CRT index number you are probably best ringing the licencing folk. In my experience they are very helpful.

If you don't have a CRT reg number I am not sure how CRT would be able to tell you. It may be possible and I would be interested to see how.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you don't have a CRT reg number I am not sure how CRT would be able to tell you. It may be possible and I would be interested to see how.

When I bought my crusier onto C&RT waters it was simply phone up, explain the sitaution, give them boat type and length, pay £25 and get a number allocated and await for the 'number plates'.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why does she need a Bill of sale? I never had to prove I owned my boat

It is possible I believe to transfer an EA licence, so your boat MAY be licenced for EA waters still.

Young Matty is tied in to a certain Brokerage so paperwork is the name ;)

I think a couple of my boats had bills of sale but not many did.