Thetford Caprice oven 12V wire and fuse?

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

Any guesses what sort of current a Thetford/Spinflo Caprice hob and oven will take for the 12V fan and spark ignition? The installation manual is not terribly helpful. The sum total of the electrical installation in the manual is:

• Connect the 12V cables for cooling fans and spark ignition to a 12V DC battery using suitable connectors and observing the correct polarity.

That is it! I'd like to do better than guessing what sort of gauge wiring it will want. The distance from the batteries is around 4m. At the moment I'm looking at 2mm^2 cable and a 15A fuse to protect it.

Jen

43 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Any guesses what sort of current a Thetford/Spinflo Caprice hob and oven will take for the 12V fan and spark ignition? The installation manual is not terribly helpful. The sum total of the electrical installation in the manual is:

• Connect the 12V cables for cooling fans and spark ignition to a 12V DC battery using suitable connectors and observing the correct polarity.

That is it! I'd like to do better than guessing what sort of gauge wiring it will want. The distance from the batteries is around 4m. At the moment I'm looking at 2mm^2 cable and a 15A fuse to protect it.

Jen

Is there a data label on the actual appliance? 

This might/should give the current it draws. 

13 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It may. The thing is installed, so hidden. Will try and find it.

On our Aspire (not caprice) there is a ratings plate on the front left side which you can see with the door open and the seal moved to one side.

As far as I can see it doesnt give the info. you are looking for though. It just says ign 12v

Edited by The Happy Nomad

6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

I reckon that is about right though I would try a 10A fuse first.

On 11/09/2021 at 10:13, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Cooling fans? Is that why the oven never gets to the required temperature?

I'll see if I can measure the current when I'm at the boat on Wednesday for the calorifier to be replaced.

• Greenie 1

On 12/09/2021 at 15:00, George and Dragon said:

Cooling fans? Is that why the oven never gets to the required temperature?

I'll see if I can measure the current when I'm at the boat on Wednesday for the calorifier to be replaced.

Sorry, our Thetford Caprice has spark ignition but no fan... can't measure the ignition current but thinking about the cooling fan surely 15A is going to be far more than even the startup surge.

10 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Sorry, our Thetford Caprice has spark ignition but no fan... can't measure the ignition current but thinking about the cooling fan surely 15A is going to be far more than even the startup surge.

Thanks again and to every one else who has replied. We'll be going with the 2mm^2 wire, but taking the fuse size down a bit and see what happens.

Jen