Stove restoration needed

sue.stew

Featured Posts

We decided to replace the flue on our multi fuel stove as we discovered a crack in it. Everything was going smoothly until the final part of removing the bottom of the flue away from the flue collar. It appears that the flue has been welded to the collar! Does anyone know of a restorer/fabricator who might be able to help? 

Many thanks for any advice you may have.

1 minute ago, sue.stew said:

We decided to replace the flue on our multi fuel stove as we discovered a crack in it. Everything was going smoothly until the final part of removing the bottom of the flue away from the flue collar. It appears that the flue has been welded to the collar! Does anyone know of a restorer/fabricator who might be able to help? 

Many thanks for any advice you may have.

Many, but where?  Give us a clue.

Is this at the stove end or the roof collar? Many stoves have a separate collar that you can unbolt (these often snap), from inside the stove. Either way, if you cut the flue pipe the job will be easier to manage and the remains of the pipe can be cut away with a disc or be drilled and split. 

That's odd. Could even be the cause of the crack, nowhere for the metal to expand or move even a tiny bit.  If there really is no way to separate the  pieces you might have to get a piece of steel pipe to sleeve the stub and new pipe, a bit of fire cement and 'Zebrite' would tidy it up. Getting a piece of pipe will mean a search of steel stockholders and so on, I've got a piece 4" internal dia which is probably too small but I could cut a bit off if that helps.

Thanks for the offer - great idea about putting a sleeve over the area too! Looking into it a bit more today, will attempt to post a picture. Think you're right about the cause, having a Gardner 2L2 'thumping' away probably hasn't helped! lol 

What sort of stove is it? On some the collar is separate, and I  that case it sounds like a new collar and a new pipe is what you will need.  On others the collar is an integral part of the stove.  In that case you will need to grind the old pipe off, so that you can fit a new pipe.

The pipe itself  is normally 113 mm diameter rolled steel tube, available from Midland Chandlers, or, more cheaply, from  your local steel stockholder.

There should be room at top and/or bottom of the flue for it to expand and contract as if heats and cools in use.  Usually this is done by having a gap between pipe and collar that is packed with fire rope  and sealed with high temperature sealant.  Fire cement is useless as it cracks and leaks.

N

I think the collar is part of the stove. Cannot see or feel any bolts . We don't know the age of the stove so weld could have been done quite a few years ago. We have a few contacts now but think the 'sleeve' idea might be worth a try.

Thanks for kings lock chandlery suggestion.

If the stove doesn't have a replaceable collar, cut it off completely and fit a Morso Squirrel collar. Obviously modifying flue systems should be done carefully etc... On my Villager Heron, I cut off the remains of the collar, ground it flat and then cut two notches into the sides of the hole for the retaining clamp of the collar. It then fits perfectly with some fire rope and high temp (350C+) sealant.