Textured paint.

Felshampo

Featured Posts

As someone who walks on the roof of the boat to get in and out of locks I thought it would be a good idea to use a textured paint when I did the roof. 

I have got some Craftmaster textured deck paint which appears to have a fine material in it. 

I have tried a sample patch on the roof and it doesn't look too good. Some parts are fine but others seem too textured. 

Am I being too optomistic? Is this one of those jobs I should have left to a professional and just used ordinary Raddle red? 

Has anyone any expert advice to help me do a better job. If you have used Craftmaster textured deck paint on the roof and it turned out alright what are the tricks of the trade. 

Edited by Felshampo

This can be a problem. Most 'non slip' paint has a grit added, this can grow green mossy stuff and look a mess, especially under trees - well that's what I find anyway. Lots of stirring will help but I don't particularly like gritty paint - it seems a bit too permanent somehow. I think its OK on the side decks as safety is everything there. I use Black Country Paints deck paint, a sort of semi gloss without grit and its pretty good but to be honest I have not found the perfect answer and anyway some shoes are lethal on any surface.

No experience of Craftmaster. Epifanes, I found not textured enough. International non-slip used to do the job. Another option, if you don't mind extra work; a thinned coat of paint followed by a sprinkling of kiln-dried block paving sand would provide a good non-slip surface. The sand covering has to be way over the top, to cover the surface evenly. 24hrs later, sweep off the excess, then roller another coat of paint over. Not full thickness paint, but thinned, so it will soak the sand and not leave uneven shiny patches. It does take a bit longer.

International non-slip is probably the easiest to get to cover and texture. It used to be. I haven't painted a boat professionally in ten years. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Bee said:

This can be a problem. Most 'non slip' paint has a grit added, this can grow green mossy stuff and look a mess, especially under trees - well that's what I find anyway. Lots of stirring will help but I don't particularly like gritty paint - it seems a bit too permanent somehow. I think its OK on the side decks as safety is everything there. I use Black Country Paints deck paint, a sort of semi gloss without grit and its pretty good but to be honest I have not found the perfect answer and anyway some shoes are lethal on any surface.

Yep, I wondered if I hadn't stirred it enough. I'll try that. I have seen a couple of boats with textured roofs that looked really good which is what gave me the idea. 

47 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

Yep, I wondered if I hadn't stirred it enough. I'll try that. I have seen a couple of boats with textured roofs that looked really good which is what gave me the idea. 

I could well be wrong, but if the textured roof looks really good, it was probably done as per 'Higgs' suggestion, with dried sand and thinned paint. That was the only way I ever got a good effective result.

33 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I could well be wrong, but if the textured roof looks really good, it was probably done as per 'Higgs' suggestion, with dried sand and thinned paint. That was the only way I ever got a good effective result.

Oh.......... 

34 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Resolute’s cabin top was simply painted in raddle red, another Norton Canes. I was happy to use it when locking and never had an issue with slipping. Perhaps I was lucky.....

I don't really have an issue with it but the gunnels are textured and give that extra grip. 

Just thought it would be a good idea......... 

4 hours ago, Higgs said:

International non-slip is probably the easiest to get to cover and texture. It used to be. I haven't painted a boat professionally in ten years. 

We have used International granules for most of our roof paints, easily the best to use for even coverage and after painting cleanability.!!

4 hours ago, Felshampo said:

You have to stir it,  and stir it, and stir it, every time you either pour it into a tray or dip a brush into it.

I've done back cabin in raddle now and had no issues in last 3 years with using roof in dey or wet conditions.

We did a roof today with the owners explicit instructions on how to apply, mixed the International paint with the instructed quantity matting agent, applied with roller as instructed, and its ended up looking like a ploughed field. A good sanding and doing it our way on the next coat should rescue it.

32 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We have used International granules for most of our roof paints, easily the best to use for even coverage and after painting cleanability.!!

You have to stir it,  and stir it, and stir it, every time you either pour it into a tray or dip a brush into it.

I've done back cabin in raddle now and had no issues in last 3 years with using roof in dey or wet conditions.

We did a roof today with the owners explicit instructions on how to apply, mixed the International paint with the instructed quantity matting agent, applied with roller as instructed, and its ended up looking like a ploughed field. A good sanding and doing it our way on the next coat should rescue it.

I will be using a 1/2 inch brush. I will stir it a lot more. Is it a good idea to put a coat of plain Raddle on top after you've got the texture right? 

28 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

I will be using a 1/2 inch brush. I will stir it a lot more. Is it a good idea to put a coat of plain Raddle on top after you've got the texture right? 

A better bet is sticking a coat or two of gloss first then your chosen non slip surface. This guarantees non porous finish under whatever you need for walkability.

• Greenie 1

On 10/09/2021 at 21:06, matty40s said:

Either that or International Interdeck. 

Interdeck is the only textured non-slip deck paint I've found that goes on easily and gives a good finish even if applied by a DIYer. Unfortunately it only comes in a very limited range of colours, although if you find a suitable colour it can be mixed with a bit of polyurethane gloss to get a darker shade if you need it.