Marina checking on boat

TomIre

Featured Posts

Assuming this Covid issue is somewhat cleared up, my wife and I will need to travel out of the country for irregular extended times due to some family health issues.  We expect this won't be necessary until late 2022 or 2023 - hence hoping Covid is under control.

Our rough plan is to work with one of the marina groups (like Aquavista) to have mooring privileges across the network which would allow us to more easily stop when needed.  We would then have to fly out for a month or so and return back to our boat and possibly do that 3-4 times a year.

A couple of questions!  Is this plan doable?  Is that how the reciprocity arrangement works with these marinas?

And, is there any provision or service at these marinas to "keep an eye" on boats that are unattended?  Not only for theft, etc but also for safety issues like leaks, etc.

Many thanks in advance for your input!

We moor at one of Castle Marinas sites. The do have a reciprocal arrangement between their marinas but it only allows up to 3 weeks stay per annum at those marinas other than the one you normally moor in. It would be worth contacting them to ask the question though, but I think much would depend upon availability of berths at any given time and they may not be willing to commit to any agreement that's different to their norm.

As for keeping an eye on your boat, at our Castle Marina they do keep a visual eye on your boat to check it isn't sinking or listing, as well as regularly checking that there is enough electric in the post and that it's working., but that's all. We have quite a few overseas owners in our marina and as well as the staff keeping an eye on their boats, we liveaboards do this as well and I think that would be the same wherever your boat was kept. 

2 hours ago, TomIre said:

Assuming this Covid issue is somewhat cleared up, my wife and I will need to travel out of the country for irregular extended times due to some family health issues.  We expect this won't be necessary until late 2022 or 2023 - hence hoping Covid is under control.

Our rough plan is to work with one of the marina groups (like Aquavista) to have mooring privileges across the network which would allow us to more easily stop when needed.  We would then have to fly out for a month or so and return back to our boat and possibly do that 3-4 times a year.

A couple of questions!  Is this plan doable?  Is that how the reciprocity arrangement works with these marinas?

And, is there any provision or service at these marinas to "keep an eye" on boats that are unattended?  Not only for theft, etc but also for safety issues like leaks, etc.

Most of these "reciprocity" arrangements don't give you quite the benefits they appear to, there's usually strings attached.  It's a marketing thing that usually looks better than it is.

As for the caretaking service in my experience it depends on how large the workforce is.  Our last marina pushed their service quite hard especially with boat owners like me who lived hundreds of miles away, but they had quite a few people on the payroll.   

If you want to leave the boat for a month at a time just take a 1 month temp mooring in a marina, then you can use any marina that has space and are not limited to a few.

The marina we are at do regular visual checks of the boats, but with COVID and the enforced situation of boats being unattended for long periods they have introduced the facility where you can pay a small additional fee and have the boat checked inside and the bilges checked etc.  I would not be surprised if others don’t do the same if you ask.

• Greenie 1

During lockdown my marina kept sending emails saying if you wanted them to check on your boat just get in touch... as it turned out they didn't answer the phone  and couldn't be bothered to answer emails.  I guess they just sat and watched boats get lower in the water.   Typically when confronted the replys were BS and shrugs...

22 hours ago, TomIre said:

Contact Aquavista.

• Greenie 1

It's often the unofficial liveaboards in marinas (if they are permitted) who are first to spot potential problems with unattended boats.

If I was leaving my boat for any length of time, as well as letting the marina know I'd also get friendly with my liveaboard neigbours and ask them to keep an eye on it and give them my phone number.

22 hours ago, blackrose said:

It's often the unofficial liveaboards in marinas (if they are permitted) who are first to spot potential problems with unattended boats.

If I was leaving my boat for any length of time, as well as letting the marina know I'd also get friendly with my liveaboard neigbours and ask them to keep an eye on it and give them my phone number.

This is what we do in our marina. There are at least two liveaboards on each pontoon and we occasionally get minor flooding so we check all the other boats and slacken off the ropes if needed. Also we report anything untoward to the marina office and they inform the owners.

Interesting read.  Our goal is to buy a boat and Cruise 8-9 months of the year. Return to the States for winter. My biggest concern was leaving the boat in the water unattended for 3 months while we are half way around the globe.

Not trying to get this off subject but is having the boat hauled and stored on land for 3 months practical?  Or cost effective?

4 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

is having the boat hauled and stored on land for 3 months practical?  Or cost effective?

Yep.

Aqueduct Marina offer this exact service.  Let them know when you're coming back and they'll have the boat back in the water when you arrive.  It's cheaper for them than digging more marina space and they have excellent hardstanding.  I don't think you save much money compared to staying in the water but you're unlikely to sink!

Does unattended hardstanding really have any benefits? Boats can get flooded from above as well as below and at least when they're in the water people will notice if something is wrong. Climbing ladders to check boats seems less likely. Also any unpainted parts of the hull will rust quicker out of the water.