water tank blacking

rogerc

Featured Posts

thanks Reg
I'm not impressed with your solution that seems to only last 2 years. i black my boat every 3 years and do the water tank at the same time. and would like to do it less often particularly the water tank.

i use 2 coats of Black Jack after pressure washing and its been reasonably good after 3 years, so Vatcan would be a retrograde step.
does anyone have a better solution?
I'm beginning to think in 3 years time a tank liner would be the solution

I bought a brand new shell once with an integrated water tank. I tank blacked it and bolted the cover plate down and was scared to take it off and look inside for about five years.  When I eventually did, it looked as immaculately clean and pristine inside as a the day I bolted it down, five years previously. 

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

22 hours ago, MtB said:

I bought a brand new shell once with an integrated water tank. I tank blacked it and bolted the cover plate down and was scared to take it off and look inside for about five years.  When I eventually did, it looked as immaculately clean and pristine inside as a the day I bolted it down, five years previously. 

Ooh, I love this post - it gives me hope! It's how mine is and I dare not look in mine either in case it's there's such a thing as a Schrödinger's water tank. Maybe you could look in mine and find it pristine for me? 

In truth I check my freshwater pump pre-filter screen jobbie regularly just downstream of the supply valve and have never found so much as a speck of rust or bitumen in it. I'm therefore loath to disturb my tank lid which is little more than 1' square so I'm not sure what I'd be able to achieve anyway.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Ooh, I love this post - it gives me hope! It's how mine is and I dare not look in mine either in case it's there's such a thing as a Schrödinger's water tank.

Lol, you have reminded me of the right wing nut-job's "Schrödinger's immigrant"....

"They come over here, they claim all our benefits and take all our jobs, rant rant! " 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

On 15/09/2021 at 18:03, MtB said:

I had the lid off my integrated tank earlier this year after a good five years and was amazed at the lack of rust etc. Aa clean up and a couple of coats òf Ballistic bitumen and lid back on. I doubt I will see the inside again. Before the doom  mongers cry out I suggest they read the write up that comes with the tank blacking paint that Midland Chandlers offer. Must admit that I've always used bottles of water for drinking.

• Greenie 1

On 15/09/2021 at 18:03, MtB said:

what did you use and how long ago was it?

On 10/09/2021 at 11:04, rogerc said:

wat is the best bitumen/paint for water tanks in terms of value and ease of use?

Bitumen is basically bitumen, there's very little difference. You might get one that's a bit more viscous and goes on a bit thicker but that's about it. The bitumen certified as water potable is also the same but it's just been tested so it's more expensive. 

If you really want do it less often as you say, then get rid of all the bitumen. Take it back to metal and use a water potable epoxy.

18 hours ago, MtB said:

Lol, you have reminded me of the right wing nut-job's "Schrödinger's immigrant"....

"They come over here, they claim all our benefits and take all our jobs, rant rant! " 

Crikey, really? That's sounds slot more political than whether the cat in there is dead or alive!  That's it - I'm definitely leaving the lid on! :help:

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If there's even a chance of there being a dead cat in the tank you're going to have to look.

But surely the point about these cats is they are simultaneously both dead and alive. Until someone looks that is, which forces them to adopt one state or the other. So it might only be dead if Mr dog actually looks. 

What would be even more alarming though, is it if adopts the 'alive' condition when Mr Dog looks inside his tank after the five years. 

• Haha 1

On 17/09/2021 at 07:06, blackrose said:

The bitumen certified as water potable is also the same but it's just been tested so it's more expensive. 

I'm prepared to pay for the test that says it won't harm me.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

But surely the point about these cats is they are simultaneously both dead and alive.

No, they aren't there at all until you look.

Had a new shell about 15 years ago. Used bitumen water tank paint all over below the water line inside the hull. Still perfect. Bought a window cleaners plastic tank for the water tank. Thats perfect too. I reckon plastic is the best for tanks if you can find one (or more) to fit.

5 hours ago, Bee said:

Had a new shell about 15 years ago. Used bitumen water tank paint all over below the water line inside the hull. Still perfect. Bought a window cleaners plastic tank for the water tank. Thats perfect too. I reckon plastic is the best for tanks if you can find one (or more) to fit.

I would be a  bit concerned about leaching if I didn't know the plastic was suitable for potable water