New Victron Inverter (Multiplus 3000) not charging batteries

Featured Posts

Hi, just wondering if anyone has seen this before? Just purchased a brand new inverter and it’s not charging the domestic batteries in the evening when it is on shore power. We’re also seeing the bulk and absorption lights flashing together. I’ve contacted Midland Chandler but wondered if anyone might know what’s going on? 

The low battery light is on but is missed in the photo of the inverter. 

Thanks so much! 

4777E3CC-9127-42E1-952C-A0DAF02F76D1.jpeg

77ED3E2C-B2F6-4A9A-9CF7-19122FB21659.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is it set up to charge when on shore power? I am sure a combi-unit should have the option to turn charging off so a mains failure does not result in the inverter running to try to charge the batteries and thus flatten them.

It doesnt have this facility.

Two position switch 

1; inverter on, charger on, power supplied to boat from shore if shore power fails inverter takes over and it will flatten the batreries

2; inverter off, charger on, power supplied to boat from shore if shore power fails power goes off.

Edited by Loddon

Two possibilities spring to mind either the combi has got confused on start up or the shore power has had a glitch.

Suggest you disconnect the shore supply, switch inverter off remove the fuse in the battery supply.

Switch inverter on 

Switch inverter off

Replace battery fuse.

Reconnet shore supply

Switch to charger only.

This will effectively reboot the combi software.

You do not need it switched to inverter when on shore power as power passes to boat automatically.

28 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It doesnt have this facility.

Two position switch 

1; inverter on, charger on, power supplied to boat from shore if shore power fails inverter takes over and it will flatten the batreries

2; inverter off, charger on, power supplied to boat from shore if shore power fails power goes off.

Yes, position 2, not 1 as shown in the photo. Of course in position 2 the inverter can not supplement the shore power if needed, but will it be needed?

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, position 2, not 1 as shown in the photo. Of course in position 2 the inverter can not supplement the shore power if needed, but will it be needed?

Not if a boat owner has any sense ;)

1 hour ago, billso said:

Do you know what the battery voltage is and do you have solar as well ?

The voltage should be around 14V - we tested this yesterday and today buy running them down to 10.6V to see if they would charge back up, and they never did. 

Just now, canalboat77 said:

The voltage should be around 14V - we tested this yesterday and today buy running them down to 10.6V to see if they would charge back up, and they never did. 

Oops, no solar. 

If you go to Victron website you can download a guide to all the LED definitions to your phone.

Yes, the thing attached to the neg terminal is a temperature sensor.

The 12 volt supply cables look to small. My 3000 states 2 x50mm for both pos and neg.

Screenshot_20210910-125715.png

Screenshot_20210910-125804.png

Taking the batteries down to 10.6V is almost certainly your problem.You should never let them go below 12V. Most smart charges will not charge a battery when it is that flat as it knows something is wrong. Can you charge it up a bit with the alternator or an old car battery charger ? Should sort itself once you get it back over 12V

40 minutes ago, billso said:

Taking the batteries down to 10.6V is almost certainly your problem.You should never let them go below 12V. Most smart charges will not charge a battery when it is that flat as it knows something is wrong. Can you charge it up a bit with the alternator or an old car battery charger ? Should sort itself once you get it back over 12V

My Multiplus manages OK providing I reduce the charge rate down to a trickle for the first couple of hours. Easy to do with the remote.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

My Multiplus manages OK providing I reduce the charge rate down to a trickle for the first couple of hours. Easy to do with the remote.

Hi Pearley I think we are both getting at the same thing, but you know the clever way around it using the remote. I guess it would also work with the dip switches ?

Smart chargers have got a lot smarter over the years.

4 hours ago, pearley said:

If you go to Victron website you can download a guide to all the LED definitions to your phone.

Yes, the thing attached to the neg terminal is a temperature sensor.

The 12 volt supply cables look to small. My 3000 states 2 x50mm for both pos and neg.

Screenshot_20210910-125715.png

Screenshot_20210910-125804.png

Here’s a zoom of the cables. The person helping me, who didn’t install this says they look big enough. 

Do they?

E2A83B68-B4E5-4BE3-A00F-96C732F1105D.jpeg

3 hours ago, billso said:

Just to add if you have meter and the know how it would be well worth disconnecting the 4 leisure batteries from each other and testing all of their voltages individually to make sure you dont have a bad one pulling the others down.

Yes I think next step is to try some new batteries to just rule this out. Just got to find someone who supplies them. 

16 minutes ago, canalboat77 said:

Here’s a zoom of the cables. The person helping me, who didn’t install this says they look big enough. 

Do they?

E2A83B68-B4E5-4BE3-A00F-96C732F1105D.jpeg

Yes I think next step is to try some new batteries to just rule this out. Just got to find someone who supplies them. 

2/0 AWG should be heavy enough but part of the idea of asking for 2 cables for both pos and neg is to spread the load over 2 terminals inside the inverter. 

I'd would want to give all those battery terminals a good clean. Some of the crimps look suspect and two of the thin wires don't look to have terminals.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2/0 AWG is not big enough.

2/0 AWG is rated at 225 amps at 60 degrees - your victron will be using 300+ amps if it is working towards in maximum 3Kw

The length from battery to Inverter will also affect the cable size needed - is it more than 1 metre ?

However, not relevant to the issue at hand.

1 hour ago, canalboat77 said:

I wouldn't necessarily give up on your batteries just yet just try to get some charge in them asap. I am guessing you are setup to charge them from the engine as well as from shore power ?

As other have said the cable thickness is a bit marginal but I don't think its the cause of your problem.

Was it at 3kW inverter installed before you fitted this one ?

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

However, not relevant to the issue at hand.

I think it is extremely relevant as it answers the OPs question 'are they big enough'

Could this mean that the competency of the installer is questionable ?

For the OP problem of 'its not working' , then yes, it is not relevant, but when he does get it working, the fact the wiring is undersize should be considered and rectification / correction undertaken.

I think mine went bulk,then absorption not both together. They are pretty simple to wire up to the batteries one to plus one to neg and the temp to neg and a wire from the bolt on the victron chassis to earth. The photo shows mains on and as others have said try it on charge only but check the cables on the unit are correct.

1 hour ago, billso said:

I wouldn't necessarily give up on your batteries just yet just try to get some charge in them asap. I am guessing you are setup to charge them from the engine as well as from shore power ?

As other have said the cable thickness is a bit marginal but I don't think its the cause of your problem.

Was it at 3kW inverter installed before you fitted this one ?

We used to have a Heart Interface Freedom 25 Inverter, which I believe had a rating of 2100 watts, so less. 

Are you recommending we fully charge the batteries (I have a couple of chargers), and then reconnect them? Thanks.