Giving up narrowboating due to age related physical impairment - and boat disposal

Horace42

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

A floating boat with a working engine?  Needs TLC?  Don't want any comeback from the buyer?

I'll give you ten grand for it, as is, where is, unseen - and you'll never hear from me again ...

... and you don't need to bother cleaning it.

TheBiscuits... I don't want to be offensive ... but would you be paying with a rubber cheque....but if your offer of £10k is serious - don't go away!

I might be forced into a fire-sale to get rid of my boat quickly in order to give vacant possession to my property.

For the moment I will put a sales pack together on this forum to see what interest there is.

1 minute ago, Horace42 said:

TheBiscuits... I don't want to be offensive ... but would you be paying with a rubber cheque....but if your offer of £10k is serious - don't go away!

I might be forced into a fire-sale to get rid of my boat quickly in order to give vacant possession to my property.

For the moment I will put a sales pack together on this forum to see what interest there is.

Horace - get a broker to take it to their yard until it's sold.  No vacant possession issues with the house, no aggro, just the money you agree it's worth less fees.

You are trying to solve the wrong problem!  Mind you, @frangar might make you an offer on the house and the boat together if it's not a widebeam ... ;)

6 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Another poster mentioned a certain broker in Whilton sometimes owns boats before they sell them

Based on what you are saying about your situation, a trade in with Whilton Marina or another broker who buys boats for cash might actually be a good option

Of course they will offer you less than it is worth, but they buy, move, clean and sell boats as a business so it might be better than you get from a random punter who hasn't seen the boat :D   

Especially if simplifying your life and your move is a higher priority than realising a full cash value. Then again, any broker should help with vacant possession (even if they don't buy your boat and it stays in their marina waiting for you to accept an offer one of their clients puts in), and you might even be pleasantly surprised by responses you get on this forum, as boats are moving quite fast now.

19 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Is it the one in your avatar?  If so I'd be taking advantage of you at ten grand.

Prices are stupid at the moment - the covid restrictions on international travel has made them go to what I consider insane levels.

Give us a few photos of the boat in it's current state and a brief description - age,  length, builder, engine, fiddly bits - inverter/stove/batteries/cooker etc. and we'll be able to give you an indication of it's current value.  I suspect it will be quite a bit more than you think.

Alternatively get one or more brokers to come and view it and they'll give you an idea of what they think they can sell it for.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't give you ten grand for it though - I'd just feel bad all the way to the brokerage! ;)

7 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Of course they will offer you less than it is worth, but they buy, move, clean and sell boats as a business so it might be better than you get from a random punter who hasn't seen the boat :D   

Oi -  I'm not random! :D

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Another poster mentioned a certain broker in Whilton sometimes owns boats before they sell them

Based on what you are saying about your situation, a trade in with Whilton Marina or another broker who buys boats for cash might actually be a good option

Especially if simplifying your life and your move is a higher priority than realising a full cash value. Then again, any broker should help with vacant possession (even if they don't buy your boat and it stays in their marina waiting for you to accept an offer one of their clients puts in), and you might even be pleasantly surprised by responses you get on this forum, as boats are moving quite fast now.

'Another poster' was me.

I do have a name.

We got a price from Whilton when we sold our boat. They drove up from Daventry to Pollington to see it. The offer from them was well below what I thought it was worth back in 2015.

But, by the time we had paid to move it and spruce it up what Whilton offered wasnt that far away from what we finally got after paying Rugby boats to broker it.

We got more but from memory there was only about 4 or 5 k in it.

And the used boat market has heated up a lot since 2015.

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Do note that water frontage and an EoG will likely add much more to the house value than the estate thinks, they do not always handle water frontage well. Hold out for top price and even if a later mortgage valuation comes in a bit low stand your ground.

When I sold a house with mooring on a tidal estuary one of the valuations said "there is a load of mud at the bottom of the garden but I don't think it will detract too much from the value of the property".

Both boats and houses are selling very well just now.

Thanks dmr.  The house sale is a separate issue from the boat sale. Although I have an EOG mooring, it is on CRT land only accessible from my garden (thus 50% discount on the fee). The CRT mooring is not mine to sell. I will have to vacate the mooring when I sell the house. 

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

A floating boat with a working engine?  Needs TLC?  Don't want any comeback from the buyer?

I'll give you ten grand for it, as is, where is, unseen - and you'll never hear from me again ...

... and you don't need to bother cleaning it.

I've had an offer of £25k for mine, on the same basis! 

I told them to shove it..... :giggles:

12 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We got a price from Whilton when we sold our boat. They drove up from Daventry to Pollington to see it. The offer from them was well below what I thought it was worth back in 2015.

But, by the time we had paid to move it and spruce it up what Whilton offered wasnt that far away from what we finally got after paying Rugby boats to broker it.

That's interesting.  I can't remember what the Dog House sold for, but would that be around 10% discount to market price at the time?  For a no faff sale that doesn't sound daft, but it's a lot more than I'd expect them to pay.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've had an offer of £25k for mine, on the same basis! 

I told them to shove it..... :giggles:

Well if you feel bad at 25k I'd consider 12 and a half ... which one? Do I get to choose? :icecream:

Edited by TheBiscuits

3 hours ago, enigmatic said:

This is one of the advantages of using a broker, and letting them take it away to their marina and take their cut for handle all the sales. Any owner who experiences any issues after buying it won't have your contact details.

If you have a few drawings and instructions regarding the modifications you've made to your boat that's a lot more help than most buyers will get anyway!

In addition to other suggestions, there's a brokerage based at Alvecote Marina near you (no particular recommendation although I did look at a couple of boats there)

Thanks enigmatic.  I know of Alvecote marina. ... can contact them if my DIY sales efforts fail.

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

'Another poster' was me.

I do have a name.

And the used boat market has heated up a lot since 2015.

This information is potentially more helpful than your original oblique reference to Whilton, Mr Nomad :) 

FWIW My boat was a Venetian/Whilton trade-in and I'm also lead to understand having met the previous owners afterwards that they got a decent offer (but different situation as it was a trade-in for another Venetian boat, and the staff knew them well enough already to know they knew what it would reach on the open market)

Edited by enigmatic
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's interesting.  I can't remember what the Dog House sold for, but would that be around 10% discount to market price at the time?  For a no faff sale 

I dont think I ever disclosed on here what it was actually sold for, but of course what it was advertised for at the time was common knowledge.

I also honestly cannot remember the actual figures, the paperwork may still be at home but I am currently at the opposite end of the country.

But 10% wouldnt be far out. 

5 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

This information is potentially more helpful than your original oblique reference to Whilton, Mr Nomad :) 

FWIW My boat was a Venetian/Whilton trade-in and I'm also lead to understand having met the previous owners afterwards that they got a decent offer (but different situation as it was a trade-in for another Venetian boat, and the staff knew them well enough already to know they knew what it would reach on the open market)

If there is another marina closer to Whilton locks please feel free to name it. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

£12.5k would do as a deposit plus say £1k a month for three years, as it appears you can't afford it outright....

Do I get a bill of sale and to take the boat away for the £12,500?  There have been a few threads on a similar topic recently - and when the "buyer" got collared by the police he allegedly showed a receipt for the boat and they shrugged and called it a civil matter not a criminal matter.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

If there is another marina closer to Whilton locks please feel free to name it. 

It was more the detail of their offer vs the original reference to rumours they might own some boats

Though I call them Buckby locks, and I've got a can to justify it: :) 

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

It was more the detail of their offer vs the original reference to rumours they might own some boats

Though I call them Buckby locks, and I've got a can to justify it: :) 

.?

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do I get a bill of sale and to take the boat away for the £12,500?  There have been a few threads on a similar topic recently - and when the "buyer" got collared by the police he allegedly showed a receipt for the boat and they shrugged and called it a civil matter not a criminal matter.

Possibly, depending on the results of a few credit-worthiness and status checks on you :) 

If you are a property owner with adequate equity and have a verifiable income capable of supporting the 36 monthy payments of £1k, we're ON! 

23 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

.?

I feel we're getting sidetracked here, but "unless the broker actually owns the boat as allegedly happens with a certain well known broker" is pretty oblique compared to you detailing the fact that yes, that certain well known broker definitely does buy boats for cash, and actually they came to visit you and offered you a price which in retrospect you feel was reasonable considering the convenience.

Probably because you were making a different point entirely at the time, which is also why I didn't feel that I was slighting you in any way by not namechecking you.

So geography and marina names were never the issue, but since the locks variously known as Buckby or Whilton locks are roughly a mile away from the middle of Long Buckby and roughly a mile away from Whilton, but only Long Buckby is famous for this.

image.jpeg.19066280099d86cb3be170c85a2c451c.jpeg 

clearly Buckby Locks is the better of the two names  :)

Edited by enigmatic

6 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I feel we're getting sidetracked here, but "unless the broker actually owns the boat as allegedly happens with a certain well known broker" is pretty oblique compared to you detailing the fact that yes, that certain well known broker definitely does buy boats for cash, and actually they came to visit you and offered you a price which in retrospect you feel was reasonable considering the convenience.

Probably because you were making a different point entirely at the time, which is also why I didn't feel that I was slighting you in any way by not namechecking you.

So geography and marina names were never the issue, but since the locks variously known as Buckby or Whilton locks are roughly a mile away from the middle of Long Buckby and roughly a mile away from Whilton, but only Long Buckby is famous for this.

image.jpeg.19066280099d86cb3be170c85a2c451c.jpeg 

clearly Buckby Locks is the better of the two names  :)

Ok then.

The brokerage that I was refering to was Whilton.

They obviously do own boats because they offered to buy ours.

HTH

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Possibly, depending on the results of a few credit-worthiness and status checks on you :) 

If you are a property owner with adequate equity and have a verifiable income capable of supporting the 36 monthy payments of £1k, we're ON! 

Are you a licensed credit broker then Mike?

I'd hate for our agreement to be  declared invalid when I have the boat and a receipt ...

49 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Is it the one in your avatar?  If so I'd be taking advantage of you at ten grand.

Prices are stupid at the moment - the covid restrictions on international travel has made them go to what I consider insane levels.

Give us a few photos of the boat in it's current state and a brief description - age,  length, builder, engine, fiddly bits - inverter/stove/batteries/cooker etc. and we'll be able to give you an indication of it's current value.  I suspect it will be quite a bit more than you think.

Alternatively get one or more brokers to come and view it and they'll give you an idea of what they think they can sell it for.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't give you ten grand for it though - I'd just feel bad all the way to the brokerage! ;)

Oi -  I'm not random! :D

Yes - The Avatar is Willpower...and me a few years ago.

I appreciate the update in current thinking on prices and sales methods.

I guess I need to get the details of Willpower listed on this forum, and go from there -

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You are trying to solve the wrong problem!  Mind you, @frangar might make you an offer on the house and the boat together if it's not a widebeam ... ;)

Just the house with a mooring….I’ve already got the boat! Having looked at a few I agree estate agents rarely know what they are dealing with…most don’t even have a clue how long a mooring might be let alone how deep it is..I’ve even been told I need to talk to the “Water Board” to moor there….oh and apparently 50ft is a full length mooring….

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are you a licensed credit broker then Mike?

I'd hate for our agreement to be  declared invalid when I have the boat and a receipt ...

As it happens, yes I am! 

Although I'm not entirely convinced I need to be, to grant a personal credit agreement as opposed to acting as a broker.