Giving up narrowboating due to age related physical impairment - and boat disposal

Horace42

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

I suppose my only worry should be the guarantee of getting paid in full if sold 'as seen' ... I am certainly not in a position to fulfill or honour any after-sales warranty's....other than answer technical questions by email..

I had the buyers money in our bank account a full week before he came to collect the keys. We were extremely lucky.

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

I suppose my only worry should be the guarantee of getting paid in full if sold 'as seen' ... I am certainly not in a position to fulfill or honour any after-sales warranty's....other than answer technical questions by email..

We bought privately. The seller provided a bill of sale in advance of us paying - this is not a good idea (but we did pay!)

The method we had worked out as removing the risk for both buyer and seller relied on both parties having internet banking and completing the transfer in person. Both sit down at the same table - bill of sale prepared by the seller but not signed, and inspected by the buyer as they wish for content (the RYA template is all that's needed). The buyer then transfers a nominal pound to the seller's account, which they verify has arrived. The buyer then transfers the balance, broken down into as many payments as needed to fall below the threshold that triggers the security system at their bank into holding the payments. The seller verifies that the money has arrived in their account, signs the bill of sale and hands over that, a receipt for payment and the keys to the boat. All completed in a transparent fashion for both parties.

Alec

4 hours ago, agg221 said:

We bought privately. The seller provided a bill of sale in advance of us paying - this is not a good idea (but we did pay!)

The method we had worked out as removing the risk for both buyer and seller relied on both parties having internet banking and completing the transfer in person. Both sit down at the same table - bill of sale prepared by the seller but not signed, and inspected by the buyer as they wish for content (the RYA template is all that's needed). The buyer then transfers a nominal pound to the seller's account, which they verify has arrived. The buyer then transfers the balance, broken down into as many payments as needed to fall below the threshold that triggers the security system at their bank into holding the payments. The seller verifies that the money has arrived in their account, signs the bill of sale and hands over that, a receipt for payment and the keys to the boat. All completed in a transparent fashion for both parties.

Alec

Thanks Alec.  Well that makes sense....I will keep that in mind and use it if need be.

with bank transfers it is worth bearing in mind that your buyer may have limits on the amount they can transfer per day.

when we sold ours they had to make payments over 3 days

10k - 10k - 7k

for each of the first payments we provided a receipt that stated we had received a partial payment, how much had been paid (with bank transfer details), how much remained outstanding, and that we retained ownership until the full payment had been received.

The receipt for the final payment stated that we had received full payment for the boat and that from "time / date" we no longer had any legal interest in the boat and that "new owners" were the sole owners of the boat and responsible for all requirements & liabilities.

3 hours ago, Jess-- said:

with bank transfers it is worth bearing in mind that your buyer may have limits on the amount they can transfer per day.

when we sold ours they had to make payments over 3 days

10k - 10k - 7k

for each of the first payments we provided a receipt that stated we had received a partial payment, how much had been paid (with bank transfer details), how much remained outstanding, and that we retained ownership until the full payment had been received.

The receipt for the final payment stated that we had received full payment for the boat and that from "time / date" we no longer had any legal interest in the boat and that "new owners" were the sole owners of the boat and responsible for all requirements & liabilities.

Jess ...  thanks.  I will bear this in mind ... but first to find a buyer ...

3 hours ago, Jess-- said:

They will have limits, but they depend on the bank.

I've had limits of 10k, 25k and 100k (max 30k per transaction) per day with various high street banks on their bog standard current accounts.  

24 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Jess ...  thanks.  I will bear this in mind ... but first to find a buyer ...

Hi Horace, did you ever get around to posting details and pictures of the boat? If so where?

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Thanks Athy for kicking off with your earlier comments to help sell my narrowboat 'Willpower' (see my Avatar)....and thanks to everybody else who contributed.

It all went well in the end. We sold our home ... (an enormously stressful process...) ... and moved from Polesworth to Stourbridge.

I soon sold my boat to Tracy D'Ath ... (no commercial details here to preserve privacy)... but a straightforward deal following an exchange of private emails, a boat inspection, an agreed price, and an instant payment of the full amount by bank transfer ... with the help of my Grandson using his mobile phone to confirm payment had been received into his account (.... which reminds me!)... 

Tracy D'Ath collected Willpower...and sailed off into the sunset....

All is well I understand....so a good deal all round...

Thanks to all forum members who helped.

stourbridge, my home town, being a teenage trainspotter i didn’t even know that it had a canal until I had left there!

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Won't be the same passing through Polesworth without seeing Willpower there.

I am guessing that was the boat moored on the offside half way through Polesworth, if so I didn't know the name but did notice it was missing last time we passed through 

image.png.ab3a793ba168177e40dcd94b51a330ce.png 

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am guessing that was the boat moored on the offside half way through Polesworth, if so I didn't know the name but did notice it was missing last time we passed through 

image.png.ab3a793ba168177e40dcd94b51a330ce.png 

Yup that was the one. 

Haven't been that way since October last year.

Thanks all, for the kind thoughts. 

We were 'continuous moorers', an antidote to 'continuous cruisers'.

"Willpower" was moored at our house for 34 years, except when leaving for a couple of 3 day local breaks each year, plus an annual 3 or 4 week round trip.

We never went very far it seems...but that was not the point...we bought the boat for the 'pace-of-life', a 'get-away-from-it' thing really......in that respect we did have a great time...and no complaints .... although disappointed we did not get any further north than Manchester.

12 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Thanks all, for the kind thoughts. 

We were 'continuous moorers', an antidote to 'continuous cruisers'.

"Willpower" was moored at our house for 34 years, except when leaving for a couple of 3 day local breaks each year, plus an annual 3 or 4 week round trip.

We never went very far it seems...but that was not the point...we bought the boat for the 'pace-of-life', a 'get-away-from-it' thing really......in that respect we did have a great time...and no complaints .... although disappointed we did not get any further north than Manchester.

The best lamb chops we can ever remember came from the butcher in Polesworth. And we say that as a New Zealander and an Australian.

Not cheap but worth it!

11 minutes ago, DandV said:

The best lamb chops we can ever remember came from the butcher in Polesworth. And we say that as a New Zealander and an Australian.

Not cheap but worth it!

UK lamb is consistently better than stuff we get from your country these days Im afraid.

Yes there may be a price premium but the butchers we buy from source excellent UK produce and dont have to ship it half way across the world.

At one time 'New Zealand lamb' seemed to carry some sort of premium, those days are long gone. As long as you avoid the supermarkets.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

UK lamb is consistently better than stuff we get from your country these days Im afraid.

Yes there may be a price premium but the butchers we buy from source excellent UK produce and dont have to ship it half way across the world.

At one time 'New Zealand lamb' seemed to carry some sort of premium, those days are long gone. As long as you avoid the supermarkets.

Fresh and chilled, as distinct from inferior frozen meat, spring lamb is basically a seasonal crop, with the quality being very dependant on the quality of pre harvest feed, and the time of harvest.

The UK grows some great quality grass so it is no surprise that a knowledgable butcher,  buying good killing stock can produce really  great quality product during the season. And it was great to taste it. Kudos to that butcher.

Manipulating the tupping time does extend the season but spring lamb essentially remains a seasonal product.

As our spring is six months out of phase with yours, the actual competition between your local fresh/chilled spring lamb and NZ produced chilled lamb is less then imagined. 

Good quality frozen lamb is good but not great but is available all year.

But fully temperature controlled chilled, but not frozen,   fast containerised shipping had given a massive improvement to the quality delivered  compared to frozen meat, but at a cost penalty. Each shipping container,    has it's atmosphere  continuously monitored by multiple sensors and temperature controlled by it's own refrigeration unit. A friend has built a lucrative consultancy writing and tweaking, the computer programs employed. 

And to Horace,  best wishes with your big change in your environment.