Home owners forced to buy a mooring licence even if they do not have a boat.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Row breaks out over costs of compulsory mooring licence at Burton Waters - even if you don't have a boat - Lincolnshire Live

Residents at a Lincolnshire development have hit out against moorings licences they must pay for - even if they don't have a boat.

A total of 202 out of 361 households at Burton Waters, just outside Lincoln, have to pay Burton Waters Moorings Limited for a moorings licence which is attached to the leases of those properties.

The 2021/2022 mooring licence fee for a residential licence holder with a boat not exceeding 6.5 metres is £1,091.93 excluding VAT.

The per metre extra length charge of each metre of a boat over 6.5 metres is £84.48 excluding VAT.

A spokesman for Burton Waters Moorings, said:

“Nobody is forced to buy a house at Burton Waters, and nobody is forced to buy a house with a mooring, nor is anybody forced to stay on the development. It is down to the personal choice of the individual property owner.

“When people do choose to buy a house, they are legally represented by solicitors who advise them on the legal process, including the terms of the mooring licence.

"The obligation to make the payment of the mooring licence fee is clearly brought to their attention through their solicitors as part of the purchase.

"It is then for the purchaser to decide whether a property with a mooring is appropriate for them.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Row breaks out over costs of compulsory mooring licence at Burton Waters - even if you don't have a boat - Lincolnshire Live

Residents at a Lincolnshire development have hit out against moorings licences they must pay for - even if they don't have a boat.

A total of 202 out of 361 households at Burton Waters, just outside Lincoln, have to pay Burton Waters Moorings Limited for a moorings licence which is attached to the leases of those properties.

The 2021/2022 mooring licence fee for a residential licence holder with a boat not exceeding 6.5 metres is £1,091.93 excluding VAT.

The per metre extra length charge of each metre of a boat over 6.5 metres is £84.48 excluding VAT.

A spokesman for Burton Waters Moorings, said:

“Nobody is forced to buy a house at Burton Waters, and nobody is forced to buy a house with a mooring, nor is anybody forced to stay on the development. It is down to the personal choice of the individual property owner.

“When people do choose to buy a house, they are legally represented by solicitors who advise them on the legal process, including the terms of the mooring licence.

"The obligation to make the payment of the mooring licence fee is clearly brought to their attention through their solicitors as part of the purchase.

"It is then for the purchaser to decide whether a property with a mooring is appropriate for them.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

We have restrictive covenants on our house that prevent us from doing things such as keeping our caravan at home.

Our solicitor drew our attention to them when we bought the house. It would be unreasonable for us to complain about it now.

A none story on a slow news day I would say.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What would a marina charge for a 40 foot boat? About two grand? I can't remember much about Lincolshire,  thank the gods, but is that on a river?

The Fossdyke.

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The Fossdyke.

One of the oldest known canals in England 

In around 120 AD, the Romans built the Fossdyke to connect the River Witham to the River Trent. This canal therefore has a longer history than most others. After the departure of the Roman army the works decayed until the channel was scoured out in 1121, in the reign of Henry I. During the next few centuries it silted up several times, becoming almost unusable until cleansed again. It was not until 1744 that a reliable channel was created and maintained.

The canal was leased to the Great Northern Railway in 1846. Competition led to commercial decline, but agricultural produce was still being routinely carried by sailing keels and barges from the River Trent right up to the 1970s.

• Greenie 3

40 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A none story on a slow news day I would say.

This, really.

I can see its a PITA, especially if you dont have a boat, and or cant sub-let it?

Equally, quite cool that 25% of the people have a boat.

Daniel

I wonder If they don’t own a boat or have no interest in owning one if they could sub let their mooring to someone not associated with the Marina. Or rent it back to the Marina for someone on the Marina’s waiting list if the Marina moorings are full?
I wonder if @Naughty Cal  could shed some light on this and maybe the relationship between House owners and Moorers as she did once moor there if she can.

Edited by PD1964

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I wonder If they don’t own a boat or have no interest in owning one if they could sub let their mooring to someone not associated with the Marina. Or rent it back to the Marina for someone on the Marina’s waiting list if the Marina moorings are full? I’m sure Naughty Girl could shed some light on this as she used to moor there.

Most marinas specifically prohibit sub letting of moorings. I would be surprised if Burton Waters permit it.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Most marinas specifically prohibit sub letting of moorings. I would be surprised if Burton Waters permit it.

Also if you think about it, if you could rent it back to the Marina, would you want strangers on a boat outside your living room, walking through your garden to access their boat, staying there over the weekend. Not really.

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

They are leasehold properties, no one with any sense buys a leasehold property 😱

I nearly did...

Very skint and a place came up on a river bank, wooden built, no power, no water and it always floods in the winter but it was oh so pretty, plus cheap and no neighbours.

Thankfully (maybe) a more sensible friend sat me down and beat me about the head until she knocked off my rose tinted glasses

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I thought it was refreshing, no false sympathy, no hand wringing just "you live here, you saw the rules" because that's the situation 

The facts are indisputable, but the cold, charmless and insensitive manner of their expression is, to say the least, unfortunate. A statement starting with "No one isd forced to buy a house..." deserves a two-word answer. I was disgusted by it.

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I thought it was refreshing, no false sympathy, no hand wringing just "you live here, you saw the rules" because that's the situation 

Yes I agree 100%.

There is far too much time spent pandering to the feckless theses days for fear of looking bad on 'social media'.

More relevant angle for the average person on here: IIRC there are various rules about number of new moorings navigation authorities are allowed to create, and removing online moorings when new offline moorings are created. Does a bunch of moorings created by a developer that nobody actually uses reduce the moorings available elsewhere to actual boaters?

There's a development near where I grew up with an enormous newly dug marina and line of over 20 widely-spaced finger pontoons which are for the exclusive use of the flats overlooking it. Don't think I've ever seen more than three boats in it. Amuses me considering how many cruisers the neighbouring marinas are able to cram into smaller areas.

-

I do agree that if you buy a property with a contract that you have to pay the service charge you shouldn't expect much sympathy if you don't use the services (except in the cases where the company that collects the service charge raises the charges dramatically every year simply because they can...)

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

The facts are indisputable, but the cold, charmless and insensitive manner of their expression is, to say the least, unfortunate. A statement starting with "No one isd forced to buy a house..." deserves a two-word answer. I was disgusted by it.

I disagree. Nothing was concealed, leases on the houses were offered for sale with a mooring included. The mooring was to be charged for whether of not a boat was moored on them. People agreed to these terms and bought the houses.

What do you propose the seller of the leases should have done differently to ease your disgust?

• Greenie 2

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

Capture.PNG.3d945a6b7c6ae913b15358fa6efcab5b.PNG

I once bought a flat with a garage which I didn't use. I had to pay ground rent of the garage too, it was SO UNFAIR!

Not. 

This seems a good analogy. The garage came with the flat, I agreed this term and bought it. I could have bought a different flat without a garage. It's not as though there aren't any flats for sale without garages.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm willing to bet that the spokesperson has had to listen to the various complaints about this for a fair time now, I am also willing to bet the residents have already contacted their local council and councillor and their MP, the newspaper is just the next step in their campaign to "have something done", maybe the response could have been more flowery but it still wouldn't change anything. 

I do actually have some sympathy, I'm sure they underestimated the impact of the long term costs but they did sign up to the T&Cs

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Whatever the legal niceties, the marina's spokesman comes across as a grade one nerk who shouldn't be allowed within a country mile of the public.

Why ? 

As I read the statement it was perfectly reasonable. When anyone purchases a property (or any other significant item) you consider and accept the conditions. It's open to you to negotiate any changes.

In case I've not made my opinion  clear I'm  100% on the side of the marina

• Greenie 2