Anglesey Branch

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Had no trouble at all in 2018 at 2'6"  stationary. Noticeably slower inward/ faster outward after passing Tucana's mooring by the skool but did not have to rake out or dive the weed hatch on the way in or out.

N

We did it around 2014, it was a bit shallow in places for our 2' 8 1/2" static but no great problem (until I tried to drop Jeff off under the last bridge!). There can be a lot of the horrible stringy weed though, I think we did it again sometime later and had a major loss of thrust and steering in the basin. Even though it was "just" weed, it was a bit of a nightmare to get off.

FMCs Petrel and Marquis with their full three foot draught each shared a fisherman's bivvy on the way to Ogley in 2018. The most evil bit of detritus I've ever had to remove with its spring steel ribs that a bolt cropper won't touch!

Otherwise never had much of a problem up there and likely as much will make it part of our L&H Brownhills weekend too, should I get there. Currently stuck at Stourport awaiting the end of a mega pollution stoppage at Kidderminster. 

50 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

FMCs Petrel and Marquis with their full three foot draught each shared a fisherman's bivvy on the way to Ogley in 2018. The most evil bit of detritus I've ever had to remove with its spring steel ribs that a bolt cropper won't touch!

Otherwise never had much of a problem up there and likely as much will make it part of our L&H Brownhills weekend too, should I get there. Currently stuck at Stourport awaiting the end of a mega pollution stoppage at Kidderminster. 

Will look out for you. We'll be one of the floating traders. 

57 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

We were moored behind you in Gloucester docks,we were ones impressed by your very quiet genny !

We're now sat at Upton wondering what's going to happen with the Kidderminster stoppage-If you hear any snippets of info' please let us know !  We need to make a decision this weekend about which route to take home if we can't do the S&W.

Cheers,Trina.

Yes, hello again.

Tied with friends who arrived this morning and came through it just before the stoppage was put on and they said it was severe and that it might be a few days before we can move off again.

Reports from Limekiln Chandlery here had heard 4 or 5 days(!) so all we can do is keep an eye on CRTs emails and re-write our plans!

20 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Has anyone in a deep draughted boat managed to get as far as the basin recently?? Now heading for Brownhills Festival but thought we'd have a go at this first. The BCN Society have no updates available and we are used to ploughing......

I think it's the weed that will be as much of a problem. I haven't been on the Wyrley & Essington since 2019 but at the moment both the main lines are thick with it in a lot of places, the worst I've ever known.

• Sad 1

On 09/09/2021 at 20:15, wandering snail said:

Has anyone in a deep draughted boat managed to get as far as the basin recently?? Now heading for Brownhills Festival but thought we'd have a go at this first. The BCN Society have no updates available and we are used to ploughing......

Passed you today on the Tame Valley.  Didn’t have time to tell you about the work boats in the middle of the Rushall — hope you managed to get past them like we did.  We did the Anglesey Branch yesterday and it was fine.

55 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

Passed you today on the Tame Valley.  Didn’t have time to tell you about the work boats in the middle of the Rushall — hope you managed to get past them like we did.  We did the Anglesey Branch yesterday and it was fine.

Hi to the only boat we've seen for a couple of days! Yes we squeezed past the breasted CRT boats; wondered whether to moor them to the bank but thought it was safer seeing the expensive stuff on show to leave them mid channel! Now at Lockwood, will try to get to the Anglesey Branch but got a text today for skipper to go to Stafford hospital on Tuesday which has rather skuppered our plans!