Blacking. Two Pack or not to two pack....

nickfryer

Featured Posts

Hi All. I had my 57 foot narrowboat blacked in May this year and within 2 months have sections of it coming off below the waterline.

Reputable company done my work for a long while and are quite prepared to redo it as necessary but are saying that there are no single pack paints that they can guarantee to stay on now?

I know that they banned certain types of Comastic? type blacking but what is everyone else using with success.

Had the boat in the water for around 10 years and not had this before   I don't really want to go down the route of two pack although they will discount it for the amount I paid for the single pack. 

Any info would be appreciated.

We have recently covered a Comastic hull with a product from Dacrylate called Epidac 116 Black. Dacrylate assure us that the two coverings are compatible, so long as bare or rusty areas are prepped properly and primed. 

The boat is fairly local to us and I will be monitoring performance as this is probably what I will be using next year if it proves robust.

• Greenie 1

I would be looking at SML Ballistic Epoxy coating as a quality alternative to regular blacking but does not require the surface preparation that is necessary with normal epoxy replacement, ie no shot blasting etc.

My boat has been 2 pack epoxy from new and was redone several years ago. Subsequently it has had regular blacking applied over the epoxy. 

On inspection I can see areas where the regular blacking has been worn or knocked off but underneath the epoxy remains in very good condition.

With this in mind my choice will be to use the SML product to ensure a good coating over the existing mix.

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2021 at 10:56, MarkH2159 said:

I would be looking at SML Ballistic Epoxy coating as a quality alternative to regular blacking but does not require the surface preparation that is necessary with normal epoxy replacement, ie no shot blasting etc.

This is what can happen when you put epoxy on top of bitumen blacking.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

This is what can happen when you put epoxy on top of bitumen blacking.

That is regular epoxy on top of bitumen and is as expected.

The SML product is different and so far reports of it going on and staying on over old bitumen are good.

Any bitumen blacking has to be well hardened and any loose stuff removed.

Well, I've spent the last week redoing the roof (back to metal), front and back ends and stuck 2 coats of the Dacrylate Epidac16 on the hull.

I will keep you informed of any happenings, hopefully none.

It went on very easily ,2nd coat a bit more work as the two layers re-activated. 3 x 5 litres did the job for a 70 footer, One tin did about 2/3 of the boat, so I stuck it on over 3 days to ensure good coverage and drying times adhered to.

• Greenie 1