Hatton Rail Station Hatton

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Yep! Here we go again. Wanting to moor at the top of Hatton flight, not only for a rest, but also to ‘go away’ for a day or so. Not really familiar with this area. Done it once but some years ago.

Good priced hire car in Banbury, train to Banbury and off we go. 

I see there’s a boat club along that stretch, one option, but there doesn’t seem to be boats moored along the tow path as viewed from Googley earthus. Potential option two. Another option would be to ask the good people of Saltisford arm to put us up for a period. A distance to a railway though.

Thank you.

Anyone offer any knowledge please.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Yep! Here we go again. Wanting to moor at the top of Hatton flight, not only for a rest, but also to ‘go away’ for a day or so. Not really familiar with this area. Done it once but some years ago.

Good priced hire car in Banbury, train to Banbury and off we go. 

I see there’s a boat club along that stretch, one option, but there doesn’t seem to be boats moored along the tow path as viewed from Googley earthus. Potential option two. Another option would be to ask the good people of Saltisford arm to put us up for a period. A distance to a railway though.

Thank you.

Anyone offer any knowledge please.

Saltisford arm is only about ten minutes walk from Warwick Parkway Station. I have also seen boats moored on the towpath just outside the cottages through the bridge from the boat club.

• Greenie 1

I know that spot very well. The place of choice to leave a boat to access Hatton Station appears to be on the towpath side outside the cottage by the station entrance. It gets used fairly frequently for this with a few repeat customers and I've not heard of any issues.

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, alias said:

Saltisford arm is only about ten minutes walk from Warwick Parkway Station. I have also seen boats moored on the towpath just outside the cottages through the bridge from the boat club.

I was about to suggest Warwick Parkway station too. I used to travel from there when working in London. Moored either at Saltisford or at the bottom of the flight or near the Cape pub, or below the two locks towards Kate Boats. 

Edited by BlueStringPudding

In the main it is concrete edge near Hatton station, so most people don’t bother stopping thete as it would be on pins.  I have done it a number of times, so if you are happy to leave the boat on pins it is fine.  There is a short piece of piling by the house by the station car part near to the canal bridge, there is often a boat on there.

There is also Lapworth station which is close to Kingswood junction.

If you stop at Saltisford arm then it is near to Warwick Parkway station which is close to Hatton bottom lock.

I guess it is, do you want to stop above or below Hatton locks.

I left my boat there attached to the armco by chains for 11 days unattended last October with no issues.There are often boats moored there. No parking charges at the station which also has a useful service to Stratford on Avon besides the north/south route.

41 minutes ago, BWM said:

Warwick station is only a 15 minute walk from the Saltisford arm, and has a full service. Warwick parkway and Lapworth have two hours plus between trains if that may be an issue. 

There's 47 trains stopping at Warwick Parkway today so more like an hourly service. On a weekday there's 66 stopping trains there.

Edited by Alway Swilby
Added the weekday numbers

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Warwick station is only a 15 minute walk from the Saltisford arm, and has a full service. Warwick parkway and Lapworth have two hours plus between trains if that may be an issue. 

Lapworth and Hatton have limited stopping trains, but I would say all trains stop at Warwick Parkway.  If a fast train is running late then Warwick station is the one that gets dropped out.

2 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

There's 47 trains stopping at Warwick Parkway today so more like an hourly service. On a weekday there's 66 stopping trains there.

59 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Lapworth and Hatton have limited stopping trains, but I would say all trains stop at Warwick Parkway.  If a fast train is running late then Warwick station is the one that gets dropped out.

I was averaging service throughout the day, we live in Lapworth and have found that Warwick and Dorridge are the most regular throughout the day and parkway has a good service at commuter times but less so during the day.

4 hours ago, BWM said:

I was averaging service throughout the day, we live in Lapworth and have found that Warwick and Dorridge are the most regular throughout the day and parkway has a good service at commuter times but less so during the day.

Dorridge has more trains going to Birmingham, as it is the terminus for the local trains on that line, and all the fast, ie London, trains stop there as well.  I would have thought that Warwick Parkway and Warwick would have less trains than Dorridge, but they do the the funny cross country Stratford trains, which I have never fully understood.

We live near to Whitlocks End station, and similarly that is the terminus for local trains on the line to Stratford, and has a train every 20 mins to Birmingham, with going on to Worcester or Kidderminster and others terminating at Snow Hill.

4 hours ago, BWM said:

I'm sorry to go on about this but you are giving out wrong infomation. On a weekday at Warwick Parkway there are 12 trains to London between 10AM and 5PM. Warick has 7. In the other direction towards Birmingham Warwick Parkway has 11 trains and Warwick 10.

Dorridge does have a much better service towards Birmingham because London Midland trains stop there as well as Chiltern Trains.

Based solely on train frequency, Hatton to Banbury has about 1 train an hour mid-week.  Warwick or Warwick Parkway to Banbury, 2 an hour.  And if you were to drop below Cape Locks, as someone suggested, possibly better to go to Leamington where there are 3 an hour.  Leamington is also much better for London, with around 20 departures between 10am and 5pm, as there is the option of Euston (via Coventry) as well as Marylebone.

But Hatton may be a pleasanter / safer place to leave a boat for a few days.  Not sure I would leave it right by the station, as it might be an indication that you will be away all day. But you can probably find plenty of boats moored between there and the top of Hatton locks, where someone might keep a friendly eye on it.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have had a car from Enterprise in Leamington but they also have a base near the Cape

image.png.eaa12e4cd837e9940292992f825804a3.png

Not being funny but, the difference between Enterprise Car Rental and where I plan to hire from in Banbury is £150+ For the period I want to hire for.

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

But, I’m travelling from Hatton.

22 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Not being funny but, the difference between Enterprise Car Rental and where I plan to hire from in Banbury is £150+ For the period I want to hire for.

It was you who suggested Saltisford as a possible alternative and subsequently others have pointed out it’s an easy walk to Warwick Parkway from there.

I’m not sure how ditchcrawler could be aware of what your car hire requirements are or what price you have been quoted.