Secondhand iMacs

Neil2

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

IBM sold it to a far eastern maker, possibly in China, some years ago, but they seem to have kept much of the build quality.

See my earlier post. It was Lenovo (who are inded a Chinese company) that bought that division of IBM.

Apparently there is still a strong connection with IBM as they subsequently re invested in Lenovo and still provide technical expertise. 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

I've been using Macs since system 6 (30+ years ago). 

For a while I worked in IT support for the NHS and had to use Windows. I then moved sideways to be a data analyst. I even had a Windows box at home for a few months. I know far too much about what goes wrong with them to ever have one under my roof again. The Macs keep going for 7 or more years, no antivirus. The only time I upgrade is when the machine won't support the latest OS and then not always: the iMac I share with my wife is 11 years old and went out of support about 4 years ago. Not a problem for what we use that for, my laptop (MacBook Air) is less than a year old though.

2 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I've been using Macs since system 6 (30+ years ago). 

For a while I worked in IT support for the NHS and had to use Windows. I then moved sideways to be a data analyst. I even had a Windows box at home for a few months. I know far too much about what goes wrong with them to ever have one under my roof again. The Macs keep going for 7 or more years, no antivirus. The only time I upgrade is when the machine won't support the latest OS and then not always: the iMac I share with my wife is 11 years old and went out of support about 4 years ago. Not a problem for what we use that for, my laptop (MacBook Air) is less than a year old though.

FWIW I contacted the local charity here that recycles computers and the problem is the Apple stuff flies out as soon as it's refurbished, I asked about a waiting list and they just said impossible as so many folk want them so it's luck of the draw.  My ipad is 10 years old and there's nothing wrong with it but I can't access the newer software.  I thought an iMac or macbook might be a better way of replacing/upgrading, esp in view of my aging eyesight. 

6 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

got one of these for a fiver on ebay years ago, bloke even delivered it :D  which was lucky as it weighs a bloody ton

image.jpeg.a88b914b50795587a3061d270db70dc2.jpeg

Still got a twin CPU MDD G4 as well, although it sounds like a jet plane with its fan running :D 

I used to have one of them 😃

weighed a ton!
Mine was so loud on full volume when it started up, I set it as my morning alarm. 

maybe 8 years ago I got an iPad 2 for £400 brand new. And only had one problem with it about 2 year ago when I just hit it in despair and it sprung back to life.  
Recently bought the 2nd generation iPad Pro for £800 brand new. 

Set off today to buy a pencil for it, for £120. But turned back after some thought, I’ll stick to me 4B and paper. 

yep, I buy into the slick presentation and marketing but I find Macs reliable and so easy to use. 

19 hours ago, MtB said:

What would that be then?

Windows or chromebook.

At a previous job I had full 3D solid modelling software, and AutoCAD so I could open or import all the common CAD formats, until a client came in with a Mac, none of his files where readable by any CAD software I had or my format convertors, the stuff done on Mac was utter shite.