Who's responsible?

Davids

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

In the last two days have met three boats moored just about on the lock landings on the Oxford, a bit of a pain when you have a full length boat.

Yes I've noticed this too. Last one was hire boat moored up for the night on the lock landing on the top lock of Napton last time I came through, about 7pm. You'd think the hire company would make them aware not to do this, or perhaps they did but the hirers had an enhanced sense of entitlement.

Also passed a boat moored up on the water point at Marston Doles and a well-spoken posh woman popped her head out and told me I didn't want to fill up water as they are having their lunch. I suspect there had been previous convos as they knew they were blocking the water point. Another case of enhanced entitlement.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes I've noticed this too. Last one was hire boat moored up for the night on the lock landing on the top lock of Napton last time I came through, about 7pm. You'd think the hire company would make them aware not to do this, or perhaps they did but the hirers had an enhanced sense of entitlement.

Also passed a boat moored up on the water point at Marston Doles and a well-spoken posh woman popped her head out and told me I didn't want to fill up water as they are having their lunch. I suspect there had been previous convos as they knew they were blocking the water point. Another case of enhanced entitlement.

It's not just on the canals, we are inundated with motorhomes these days and last year one of these things the size of a blue whale parked right across the driveway to our house, completely blocking it.  The occupants calmly got out and walked off down the street.  I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing but I sprinted after them and politely asked what the bloody hell did they think they were doing.  They protested that they wouldn't be there very long and "it's so difficult to find parking in this village".  

The people who tell us that Covid -19 has brought us all closer together and made for a more considerate society are not living on the same planet as me.  Whether it's a sense of entitlement or just plain rudeness I see this type of behaviour everywhere at the moment.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, MtB said:

That would actually remind me that my water tank was empty, tie up to their roof ,climb over with hose and start filling.

• Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

It's not just on the canals, we are inundated with motorhomes these days and last year one of these things the size of a blue whale parked right across the driveway to our house, completely blocking it.  The occupants calmly got out and walked off down the street.  I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing but I sprinted after them and politely asked what the bloody hell did they think they were doing.  They protested that they wouldn't be there very long and "it's so difficult to find parking in this village".  

Did you tell them that was fine, and that you were just going to phone your farmer mate and get him to come round with his tractor and push the thing out of the way so you could get your car out?

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That would actually remind me that my water tank was empty, tie up to their roof ,climb over with hose and start filling.

Exactly!!

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Did you tell them that was fine, and that you were just going to phone your farmer mate and get him to come round with his tractor and push the thing out of the way so you could get your car out?

Exactly!!

A better option would be what a Cornish farmer did a couple of years ago and cover it in slurry.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

On the Curdworth flight a couple of weeks ago we came across a pile of fisherman's gear left on the lower lock gate quadrant, right in the way of where you put your feet when opening and closing the gate. The fisherman himself was fishing from the offside below the lock, but he had also left two rods on the lower lock landing supported on low rests and with the rods and lines out over the water. Having picked our way around his bags to do the gates, I noticed as we left that the two unattended rods were almost invisible against the water. I do hope a boat coming the other way completely failed to see them!

My understanding is that the correct procedure to adopt when witholding payment is to pay the money to  a solicitor to be held in escrow, to be passed on when the breach of contract has been dealt with. That is what my wife and her flatmate did before we got married when they had problems with their landlord who was taking an eternity over completing maintenance on their flat. 

Back in the 1970's when we found a boat moored up at the only accessible  place at a water point with the family inside having tea, we simply moored up alongside them and walked across their deck to use the hose. They were apologetic!

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Exactly!!

Even better if at the bottom then you could carry your elsan across as well.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

That is exactly what I did when I arrived at Great Haywood at 07:00 only to find a boat moored directly outside the only working waterpoint.

The owner seemed upset that I had woken him, but failed to understand that I couldn't moor in front of him to get water because my hose wasn't long enough.

I just ignored him and filled my tank.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

That is exactly what I did when I arrived at Great Haywood at 07:00 only to find a boat moored directly outside the only working waterpoint.

The owner seemed upset that I had woken him, but failed to understand that I couldn't moor in front of him to get water because my hose wasn't long enough.

I just ignored him and filled my tank.

Good to know that one is still working.  Last Thursday morning I had to "borrow" parts from the other broken one so there was at least one working . CRT NW and WM team are aware.

On 08/09/2021 at 14:48, Davids said:

So my question is, if I exit my mooring, crush the yogurt pot and it sinks, who is responsible? What legal recriminations could I face, if any?

Going back to your original question, unfortunately, you would certainly be liable (insurance wise) for damaging a moored boat in this situation.

It would be deemed as an avoidable accident.

Very frustrating but it's one of those many situations where you are virtually powerless without CRT and/or police assistance.

It sounds like, even if it did move on, another might replace it and so the situation goes on, so maybe relocating would be the best option for a stress free life.

Will your boat not come out at all or is it just really awkward?

Look, this is ridiculous. If a boat is in the way and you have to move it then MOVE IT. when you have got your own boat out MOVE IT BACK. This is not a problem. It happens from time to time. I have done it without even seeing it as a problem, people might well have moved my boat up a yard or two, I wouldn't know. Boats are not permanently fixed to the bank.  That bit of bank does not belong to the boat owner. Its a bit like seeing a boat untied or adrift at one end. Tie it up, don't bother to tell CRT or try to find the owner, just tie the thing up. Its just part of the day to day stuff that happens. If the offending boat is full of hells angels then get someone from CRT to stand around whilst you move it. I can't believe  this has become a problem.

Those who are suggesting more draconian measures remember the OP says his requests have been answered with "threats and abuse".   We don't know who/what we are dealing with here.  

In my professional life, among many other unpleasant duties, I have had to attend evictions from property and on one notable occasion I had to remove someone from my own.  It is not something to go gung ho at, people at their wits end often have nothing to lose.

• Greenie 4

I understand the frustration of the OP as for about 7 years I moored in very similar circumstances (on the S Oxford) . I lost count of the number of times I could not get out, or worse, back in, after a trip. In the end this and generally low water levels in the pound meant that I had to leave an idyllic mooring. 

As for individuals mooring on lock landings/ water points this has become endemic this year especially near 'destination' moorings. A significant contributory factor this year seems to have been  the vastly increased numbers of boats left on 14 day visitor moorings for at least (or exceeding) the permitted period. 

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Look, this is ridiculous. If a boat is in the way and you have to move it then MOVE IT. when you have got your own boat out MOVE IT BACK. This is not a problem. It happens from time to time, I can't believe  this has become a problem.

So you'd be happy paying for a mooring that you can't get on and off due to abusive and threatening boaters blocking you in? You're much more tolerant than most I must say. No one should have to put up with that kind of selfish, inconsiderate behaviour......least of all on a paid mooring.  

4 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

Good to know that one is still working.  Last Thursday morning I had to "borrow" parts from the other broken one so there was at least one working . CRT NW and WM team are aware.

I suspect the fitting on the tap is the correct size but is BSP taper rather BSP parallel, a cunning trick, the hose adapter screws on but either falls off under pressure or squirts out gallons of water because the thread bottoms before the sealing washer seats.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I suspect the fitting on the tap is the correct size but is BSP taper rather BSP parallel, a cunning trick, the hose adapter screws on but either falls off under pressure or squirts out gallons of water because the thread bottoms before the sealing washer seats.

In this case the 3/4" BSP male fitting was missing leaving a 3/4" BSP female.  I used a combination of bends/couplings from the other tap to fix it.  The remaining broken one needs a replacement directional valve  ...... anyway, back to the OP.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Carry a spare washer . Simple 

• Greenie 1

Direct action is very often effective, not direct against the ones blocking but against CRT . They absolutely hate adverse publicity especially when it’s against one poor person. Local media  are usually short of meaningful topics, pre alert them then do something fairly  harmless like block the canal for a specified time out of season get some friends down with their boats to seemingly make more of your blockage to add to the mellee make some catchy polite placards and raise your complaints. The nationals/ online groups sometimes pick these local issues and run with them too. Prepare your case to simple words as CRT will get a PR guru at some expense to issue a press release but it’s v unlikely that they will ever provide a person to be interviewed. 
Or do a mass towpath block, chain yourself and friends to a nearby gate or lock in quieter season , as long as you don’t cause damage it’s more likely CRT will respond. It may upset locals but they usually understand and often take up a cause. The blockers may also be embarrassed by media presence and slink off to haunt elsewhere.
it’s very sad but the days of disgusted of Tunbridge Wells achieving much by writing to organisations/ MPs etc are long gone. They simply seldom listen to the little guy on the street or the Clapham Omnibus. One day they will regret that but till then direct actions the way. 

You do have to be sure of your case but it’s sounds like it’s a clear one. 

2 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Direct action is very often effective, not direct against the ones blocking but against CRT . They absolutely hate adverse publicity especially when it’s against one poor person. Local media  are usually short of meaningful topics, pre alert them then do something fairly  harmless like block the canal for a specified time out of season get some friends down with their boats to seemingly make more of your blockage to add to the mellee make some catchy polite placards and raise your complaints. The nationals/ online groups sometimes pick these local issues and run with them too. Prepare your case to simple words as CRT will get a PR guru at some expense to issue a press release but it’s v unlikely that they will ever provide a person to be interviewed. 
Or do a mass towpath block, chain yourself and friends to a nearby gate or lock in quieter season , as long as you don’t cause damage it’s more likely CRT will respond. It may upset locals but they usually understand and often take up a cause. The blockers may also be embarrassed by media presence and slink off to haunt elsewhere.
it’s very sad but the days of disgusted of Tunbridge Wells achieving much by writing to organisations/ MPs etc are long gone. They simply seldom listen to the little guy on the street or the Clapham Omnibus. One day they will regret that but till then direct actions the way. 

You do have to be sure of your case but it’s sounds like it’s a clear one. 

This is the same type of flawed thinking that lead to the idiots blocking the M25 this week protesting about lack of govt. action around house insulation.

Why on earth inconvenience others because you cant get your boat out?

As I said many posts ago carefully drag the offending boat out the way and then replace it. That is the only type of 'direct action' these selfish folk understand.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

On 08/09/2021 at 15:02, Davids said:

Not premeditated at all, I am not intending to hit the boat, merely trying to find out where I stand should I hit it, but let me rephrase the question then.

Who is responsible if my boat sinks due to my not being able to exit my mooring to perform maintenance because there are boats moored in the No Mooring area

Can we see a photo?

I’m confused